Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows 98 on xbox

• 07-06-2005 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

have found a tutorial that runs win98 on xbox and uses x-dsl so it has ram to spare for windows to actually use (this was first done on gentoox)

http://www.psphacker.com/windows-98-on-xbox.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I havent tried it myself because I dont have a win98 disc but I use x-dsl all the time for email, torrents and web-browsing so I dont really need to bother anyway. Try x-dsl, it works really well (get yourself a keyboard first)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i downloaded it but am waiting on a modchip to be delivered before i can do anythin but does it not have tht little onscreen keyboard?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

windows ce is on xbox 4 a while too i found it at x-b-o-x.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

axel90 wrote:
    windows ce is on xbox 4 a while too i found it at x-b-o-x.net
    ce sucks and you need an actual mouse+keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

thats a good thing :o windows with a controller wud suck, just add usb femalr connectors to your dongle, and you can use a usb keyboard, and mouse.

• Advertisement

weeder wrote:
    i downloaded it but am waiting on a modchip to be delivered before i can do anythin but does it not have tht little onscreen keyboard?????
    Yeah it does have a virtual keyboard which pops up when it boots. I guess you dont really need to type that much when you use firefox but a keyboard is very easy and cheap to get working. Just get an xbox controller extender cable from Game, also buy a USB extender cable from any PC shop (maybe Game has these too in the PC section?), then just cut and throw away the small end off the xbox controller extender cable and the male end off the USB extender cable and twist the wires of what's left together (they are the same colour which makes it very easy). Now tape them up so they dont short out and now you have a cable with an xbox controller plug at one end and a female USB connector at the other so you can plug any USB 1.1 device into your xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

lol thx that would save doing buying a converter. I might try this during the summer when my box is modded :)
    EDIT/ if you do the homemade keyboard and mouse thing. will you need one port for the keyboard ans another for the mouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I honestly cannot see why anyone would *want* to go through the hassle of getting that pos OS running on the XBox when there are things like XBMC and UnleashX out there already, and P3 Optiplexes are a cent a dozen.

SyxPak wrote:
    I honestly cannot see why anyone would *want* to go through the hassle of getting that pos OS running on the XBox when there are things like XBMC and UnleashX out there already, and P3 Optiplexes are a cent a dozen.
    Because you can. Okay, I have one of those P3 optiplexes and a modded xbox. When I want to browse the web I have a choice, either wait ten minutes to get the PC fired up or about 3 minutes for the xbox to boot firefox via x-dsl. But to be fair I could do a dualboot on the PC and use a lightweight linux distro to do the same thing but I like the fact that I can do everything on the xbox because it is small, fast, tidy, light (P3 optiplexes are filled with sand I reckon) and I dont need a monitor.
    As for why someone would bother to go thru the hassle, I suspect you dont realise how easy it is to install x-dsl, it's only 40MB and installs and runs just like any other app so it's hardly much hassle. You need a keyboard but if you are using unleashx as a filemanager/text editor then you'll need a keyboard anyway.
    I wouldnt use it for media as XBMC craps on mplayer/xine running thru x-dsl. But if you wanted a fully legal modded box that plays divx then linux is the only option.
    When I had a TV in my room I could browse the web in bed just before going to sleep and because I was using the xbox joypad I didnt need a surface to rest a mouse on which was very handy as well.
    Flunked wrote:
    if you do the homemade keyboard and mouse thing. will you need one port for the keyboard ans another for the mouse?
    Yes but you can also use an xbox controller as a mouse in x-dsl so you dont really need a mouse.

Remember though that v1.6 (crystal and later) xboxes have an unresolved issue with any xbox linux distro in that the graphics driver will not display the whole screen correctly but it is usable and it can be manually adjusted. This is a huge pain for the xbox-linux project so expect a fix soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

hmmm... would it be possible to get one of those USB things where you can like plug 4 devices into the one port work for the xbox?

• Advertisement

Flunked wrote:
    hmmm... would it be possible to get one of those USB things where you can like plug 4 devices into the one port work for the xbox?
    That should work fine as long as it supports USB 1.1. The standard xbox controller itself is a USB hub albeit with non standard USB ports for mem cards and headsets.

Advertisement