Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can anyone tell me how I can retrieve the administrator password from windows xp?

• 07-06-2005 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how I can retrieve the administrator password from windows xp?

Basically what has happened is my brother's left this mornin to go interrailing for a month, and he put a f**king password on my desktop!!
    I have english leaving cery paper 1 and 2 tommorow and half my notes are on there!!

I am pretty Pissed off, does anyone know of a way of gettin in to my computer? I really dont have the time to wait around for him to ring me and tell me! What an ass!!! Do I have to uninstall windows from the system and reinstall it? If i do this will it wipe all my information stored on the computer?

And if you cant help me for legal reasons or whatever could you direct me to a site that might??

cheers

Shoutman :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If there is more than one user on the PC you can restart it and log on as one of the other users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

why was he using the Administrator to work on the computer, seems to be the worst thing you can actually do.
    did he reset the Admin Password or just the one of your user?
    if it is your user password then on the logon screen press CTRL+ALT+DEL ( think twice) then you will be able to login as Admin and with a bit of luck that will be the same as your old password

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

If there is still no way for you to get in try downloading this.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

And follow instructions very carefully.

Tip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If priority is to get the notes, you need to
    1 swap the hard drive into another XP machine, read from there
    or
    2 burn a linux live cd like knoppix. read the docs with the included openoffice. (assuming you have cdd burner + broadband)

or
    to actually change the password to a known value, use a bootdisk from http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

As i was the only person using the computer I had no need for a password, so all he did was put a password on it!
    The reason why he did it is probably just to piss me off.
    And is their anyway of finding what the password was or do ya just remove it and put in your own one?

cheers for the help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

did he place the Admin's password?

if he didn't then I would guess the Admin password is still on a blank.
    try as suggested above.
    if the files are stored in the My Docs Folder, and it is a NTFS partition, then putting the drive into another XP machine wont help.
    Knopiix and such would be more adviseable in that case if you just want to extract the Files you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

no no no no no.
    I can't believe i'm the only person who knows this.
    Shut down the pc.
    Switch it on, and continually press F8 until you are presented with a menu. Choose safe mode. The log in screen will come up eventually, with 2 accounts, the admin account, and a second admin account. This account has no password, and is normally hidden. Its a backdoor account. Log in using this account, do what you must, change passwords or whatever. Restart, and tada, all done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

mp3guy wrote:
    no no no no no.
    I can't believe i'm the only person who knows this.
    Shut down the pc.
    Switch it on, and continually press F8 until you are presented with a menu. Choose safe mode. The log in screen will come up eventually, with 2 accounts, the admin account, and a second admin account. This account has no password, and is normally hidden. Its a backdoor account. Log in using this account, do what you must, change passwords or whatever. Restart, and tada, all done.

Its not passworded as a lot of people simply don't set a password.

Of course everyone I work with now sets a password, after I showed them how easy it was to break into a PC once you have physical access.

EDIT:[b/] Heh, but that's not helping the matter. If you want a "hardcore" approach, there's decent instructions to crack it using Knoppix here, that has served me well in the past.

[edit] Tut tut, :)
    no links to crackers of the Admin Password please,
    the link to reset the password is just about OK because it's fairly obvious if it's been done and physical access to the machine is needed.

Advertisement