Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ads in the cinema bad

• 07-06-2005 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

was at sin city in uci at the weekend, the amount of ads before the movie was scandaless.

i don't mind trailers too much. but after paying €8.50, i think they're taking the pi$s.

imagine they started putting 20 min of ads on a dvd! and you couldn't ff them, there'd be uproar.

i think it's time the ads go, who's with me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Just go to the Savoy then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

there's no ads in the savoy?
    GaRtH_V wrote:
    Just go to the Savoy then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

/crosses fingers and prays that all cinemas will follow the savoys example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Well there wasnt went I went to see Star Wars the other day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

paperclip wrote:
    imagine they started putting 20 min of ads on a dvd! and you couldn't ff them, there'd be uproar.

afaik there is some bill that was [or is] trying to be pushed through in the US to make it illegal to fast forward past trailers on a dvd. Read something about it on /. a few months ago.

I dont mind trailers for upcoming movies and maybe the ad or two but there can be an excessive amount. UGC generally have a few ad's and trailers before a movie but nothing too excessive. I havnt been to the Savoy in a good while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Didn't Lucasfilm have some sort of stipulation about the amount of crap a cinema could put before the film? And if they were found to go over the limit they would lose the right to show it... I'm sure I read this somewhere.

I don't have a huge problem with the adverts... I tend to arrive in the cinema in that gap between the adverts and the trailers.

Actually... come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I saw a Red Bull advert at the begining of Star Wars in the Savoy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

UGC used to have the general ads, followed by 3 movie trailers. This has recently been upped to 5 movie trailers and the long wait was quite noticable before Friday evening's showing of 'Sin City'.

You're not the only one though. A NY councilwoman has tried to introduce legislation in the city to force cinemas to display the film start time alongside the start of the ads/trailers (refered to as "promotainment"). It can last up to 20 minutes. A couple of US chains, in response, have decided to list these times of their own accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Winters wrote:
    afaik there is some bill that was [or is] trying to be pushed through in the US to make it illegal to fast forward past trailers on a dvd. Read something about it on /. a few months ago.

Some DVDs-especially rental ones-have ads on 'em. These ads are sometimes protected by CSS, so you can't skip them. Eh, so technicially skipping them can be already illegal.

The proposed bill was to make any skipping of ads illegal.

/geek

Anyhow, to get back on topic, I agree that ads are sometimes excessive. You're generally looking at 15-20 minutes of ads and trailers at the Galway Omniplex between the advertised start time and actual start time of a film, which is taking the mick, imo.

I can fully understand that they need to make their money as much as any other business, but 15 minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

they make enough, €8.50 for a ticket, and €8 for a small coke and small popcorn!
    Fenster wrote:
    I can fully understand that they need to make their money as much as any other business, but 15 minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I love trailers, but i hate those "pirate copying" ads, and when the ads go on for nearly 15 minutes it just really p1sses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Sometimes the ads are great. Remember Danno from the 11850 ad.

Speaking of, Here's a petition to bring him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Why not go in 15 minutes late? That's what I do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't stand any form of mobile phone ads. When the ads start its my cue to take a piss. I usually arrive back when the trailers start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I dont particularly mind a couple of ads at the start of a film in the cinema. But I wish that they would all do as suggested. List the time the film is going to actually start rolling.

I remember UCI went through a really annoying phase about a year ago of showing terrible 20 minute long short films before a screening which no one wanted to see. Ive no objection to them showing the short films, just start them 20 mins before the screeening time listed, I want to eat my hotdog during the film Ive paid to see.

Anti piracy ads on legitimate dvds are another pet hate. If Ive bought the dvd I dont need a lecture about not buying a pirate.

Advertisement