Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vrt on jap import

Options
  • 07-06-2005 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

if i buy a jap import car after i payy vat and customs i know that i am supposed to pay the vrt within 1 day, the car wont be on the road till december so is there any penalty for not having it vrt'd until then if i can prove it was not on the road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

VRT applies from the date of import. If you can find a registered garage prepared to play ball with you, I believe they have a facility by which they can postpone the VRT until they sell the car i.e. it is to be first registered in this country. This would be messy as I'm fairly sure the car would need to have been imported in their name in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

There's no penalty. I didn't pay the VRT on a car I brought in until about three months afterwards. VRT office didn't even mention it.

I should mention there's also no benefit to not doing until the car is going on the road, so you might as well pay it now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

blastman wrote:
    I should mention there's also no benefit to not doing until the car is going on the road, so you might as well pay it now anyway.

Apart from the chance of having to pay less money - leave it till January instead of December and you can save a packet (almost €2K in my case)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

blastman was yours a jap import, the reason im putting it off is the car needs a little work so im just trying to spread out the costs also,

once the car arrives in dublin i know ill have to pay vat + 10% on it but besides vrt is that all ill have to pay or is there port charges

Yeah, mine was a Jap import, there will be port charges to pay if you leave it there any length of time, so the best thing is to get the duty and VAT sorted ASAP and get it off the port. I think they give you 48 hours or something before they start charging you a daily rate.

What are you buying? Any idea what the VRT will be on it?

• Advertisement

yeah im not too worried about the daily rate its only 5 euro or somthing like that, but are there unloading fees, also how do i get the vat adn customs moving before the car arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

the law states that the car must be presented by the end of the following day from date of import.

Although a friend of mine found that complying was near impossible. He just moved home from the UK and brought his 3 year old car with him. Drove to his local VRT office the following day, it was closed. Made a few phone calls, was told that he could declare it in Dundalk. Drove to dundalk, waited for an hour or so only to be told he would have to go to the local VRT office in the county where he want's to register it. When he went there the following day they took the paperwork but there was no one to 'inspect' the car. a week later an inspector was sent out to his house to look at the car. A week after that he called the office and the girl looking after the case was on holidays and will be back in two weeks ... so a month later .. he still has UK plates and can't speak to anyone about it.

This was a simple case, he was resident in the UK for 5 years and owned the car for the last three.

then he doesnt have to pay it as far as i know if hes had the car registered in the uk for 6 mths

there won't be a VRT payment but you still have to register the car and have Irish plates on it within' 3 working days.

dogz wrote:
    yeah im not too worried about the daily rate its only 5 euro or somthing like that, but are there unloading fees, also how do i get the vat adn customs moving before the car arrives
    You'll get a bill from the shipping company which will include unloading fees, don't worry. Once it's here, they'll probably have a customs clearance company that they'll recommend to you, you tell them how much you paid for the car and they'll tell you what the revenue want from you. They'll charge you around €150 for clearing the car, but it's worth it as there's no way you'll be able to handle the forms yourself, they're a nightmare.

whippet, the law might well state that, but as long as you pay the money, they don't really mind how long it takes.

• Advertisement

blastman wrote:

whippet, the law might well state that, but as long as you pay the money, they don't really mind how long it takes.

that is true, but his fear is being stopped by a crank guard or customs bloke and in effect they could take the car on the spot.

Oh yeah, agreed, but if the car is genuinely off the road, it shouldn't be a hassle. Driving around with no plates wouldn't be the most sensible thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

You cant drive with no plates, you'll be stung. But that said if the cars not on the road then no, dont pay it. I've left them months before.

'Course theres no penalty, sure how would they even know you had it? It isnt registered after all..

all it takes is one phone call from someone who does not like you that much .. that is where the customs get most of their 'leads' from.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nm wrote:
    You cant drive with no plates, you'll be stung. But that said if the cars not on the road then no, dont pay it. I've left them months before.
    There were stories in Cork of people in the late 1980s where they would buy / take delivery a car in the middle of December (when the dealers were desparate for hard cash) and try to register it in January. On checking the odometer there would be several hundred miles on the clock rather than the typocal half dozen - "Oh, I was up in Belfast twice during the week" to which the response would be "So you drove around Northern Ireland with no registration plates?" at which point the buyer would become very quiet and look away....

ah thats grand then, i thought customs would be telling revenue to be expecting me :D

Advertisement