Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Clover!!

Options
  • 07-06-2005 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi
    I Need advice!!

I have a 1/2 acre garden and most of it is clover. The soil is poor (new house crap topsoil) Is there fertilizer I can put on it that will kill the weeds and make the grass very green and full??

Regards
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If you get a thin wire rake and rake it fairly regularly for a couple of weeks, thats the back breaking way.

:D:D:D:D
    BTW:
    Dam = A barrier constructed across a waterway to control the flow or raise the level of water
    Damn = To swear at
    :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Hi
    I Need advice!!

I have a 1/2 acre garden and most of it is clover. The soil is poor (new house crap topsoil) Is there fertilizer I can put on it that will kill the weeds and make the grass very green and full??

Regards
    John

You can buy a combined weed-and-feed treatment. There are different types: some come in a granular form, others you mix with water. However, most can't be used on grass in its first year of growth. I would advise you to help the grass in its early days by working organic material into the soil (not peat-based, please), and by aerating the roots of the grass using a fork. This is drudgery I know, but it does help. Next year, you'll find that the grass has become a good deal stronger, and is probably competing more successfully with the clover. Then you can apply the weed-and-feed mix

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lawn Sand Feed & Weed will do the trick...it'll take a while for it to kick in and you will probably need to cut it a week after application.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Verdone (spelling?) is one of the best weed killers for clover in grass. You can spot spray it. Do not use on grass under a year old.

I agree with gregos.

Bite the bullet now and spray it. Leave it until the autumn (softer ground) and

rake out any dead grass/thatch
    using a garden fork make holes to fill with sand and new seed (no fertilizer until spring if necessary)

Fertilizer now might just make the remaining grass act like scutch grass and spread out over the barren patches leaving you with patches once it gets any wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 angeltoes

On the positive side clover helps to fix nitrogen into the ground. The soil can't make it's own nitrogen and it is needed to maintain green
    leaves and vigorous growth. Rest assured if you ever want to grow your own veg you'll have a healthy green crop.

Jeannie
    Hi
    I Need advice!!

Regards
    John

• Advertisement
Advertisement