Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on the English syllabus?

Options
  • 07-06-2005 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Can someone please give me a list of the novels that are on the English course this year? And good luck to everyone tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

higher or ordinary level??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Holly Golightly

Higher, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As far as I'm aware, there are no prescribed books for Junior Cert English. So you could do whatever book you wanted.

Seriously? That's brilliant. We did "Roll Of Thunder, Hear My Cry" this year but I hate it and did no work on it, but I've done tons on "Lord Of The Flies" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" etc. I was up all night ringing people asking them, lol, and they all said to stick to the syllabus but I mean, I couldn't find the syllabus anywhere online and nobody knew what was on it apart from "To Kill A Mockingbird". Do you really think it would be OK to do any book I wanted, then?

I'm pretty sure although dear god I would not like to think that a chunk of your English paper is hinged on how certain I am...

However since you can actually find the lists of prescribed literature for Leaving Cert and not for the Junior, I'm guessing that means the Junior Cert doesn't have any.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I know it's ok in drama, not sure about the novel though

Thanks lots, PurpleFistMixer & Raphael. I don't know, I think I'll stick to "Lord Of The Flies" as I'm fairly sure that that's one that's often done at JC level and I know quite a lot about it. Are there any other books that are often done?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Wow, that'd be so great!
    I read that book in like one day... and you could talk about the themes for hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Wow, that'd be so great!
    I read that book in like one day... and you could talk about the themes for hours...

Agreed, though if I had a choice I'd probably do 1984 instead...

I have to write on bloody childrens book, I have many pages of notes on themes conflicts etc but when it all comes down to it The Cay is just a badly written, boring story.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I actually knew the whole story behind Animal Farm (as in I'd read someone's analysis of the not-so-hidden meanings in it) before I read the book. I was surprised to discover how short and how... not... 'ARR THIS IS LITERARY! LONG WORDS!' it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Fobia wrote:
    Agreed, though if I had a choice I'd probably do 1984 instead...

I have to write on bloody childrens book, I have many pages of notes on themes conflicts etc but when it all comes down to it The Cay is just a badly written, boring story.

Oh dear. Don't mention that book.

Read it in second year, didn't like it one bit. The phonetic spelling of Timothy's accent would drive you mental.

Advertisement