Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literary Genre

Options
  • 07-06-2005 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Can anyone break up Lit Gen into simple points or give a link stating how the answer should be written?? Obviously state Genre but what else?? Thanks a mil!! Hope you're all feeling ok , or at least not completely manic today!! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

which texts are you doin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Stictly Ballroom, Wurthering Heights and Silas Marner. Im not too much worried about what has to go into the answer, because I know my 3 comparatives inside out, I'm just worried about the structure of a Lit Gen Ans. Our teacher didn't cover it and from reading the boards it looks likely to come up! Can you help!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Im chilled out, a little too much! Isnt it "how the story is told"? Thats what ive been planning, like with Witness(film) they use close-ups, and in "A view from the bridge"(play) its done using a narrator to guide you throught the story. Wuthering heights(book) is done by using dialogue to tell its story. Pretty much like that for my 3 texts.

So basically all the stuff I know about the writers style of writing (omniscent narrator in WH) Camera angels in SB and scenery and Tone and style in Silas and how each author uses this to convery their story?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Here are my paragraphs from my texts/

Timespan
    Flashback
    Flashforward
    Moralises
    Symblos in TExt
    Autiobiographical
    Title

(witness, things fall apart and playboy of the western world)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭trishemurphy

pretty much but don't foget to compare

Thanks a mil! I very much appreiciate the help! Know we're all busy today! Cheers! :)

Right well im doin S.Ballroom Playboy and W.Heights Ive written an essay which I (almost) know off because it got an A1 off two very very different english teachers and its pretty much the same question every year
    1 narrative structure

W.Height uses 2 obvius narrators. Eye-witness accounts,each narrative opens out froim its parent narrative to reveal a new stratum to the story

S.ballroom Camera is the narrator,mockumentary style which is a parody of documentaries, uses eye-witness accounts similar to WH, time-shifts and flashbacks also similar to WH....theres more to that but ive forgotten it

2 Language and the way it enables the audience to understand settings and characters

W.Heights you should be able to go through the language of both narrators
    Lockwood: pompous afffected style, allusions to shakespere -his language marks him as an outsider

Nelly lively colloquial language,concrete details allows the story to fall seamlessly into place, often consists of verbatim dialogue

S.Ballroom The language of the film is different but show the way we are presented with the character and setting
    e.g barry fife is shot with a wide-angle lens which menacingly distorts his features.....

And then I did Imagery which is pretty easy for both texts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    Can anyone break up Lit Gen into simple points or give a link stating how the answer should be written?? Obviously state Genre but what else?? Thanks a mil!! Hope you're all feeling ok , or at least not completely manic today!! ;)

Here are the general things you should discuss.....at least, they're the things I'm going to discuss
    • Narrative
    • Language (inc. descriptive,dialogue, film techniques)
    • Imagery
    • Chronology
    • Humour
    • Characterisation
    • Creation of Tension and Suspense

That list is taken directly from the All Wrapped Up comparative notes

• Advertisement

Thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Flamingfud wrote:
    Here are the general things you should discuss.....at least, they're the things I'm going to discuss
    • Narrative
    • Language (inc. descriptive,dialogue, film techniques)
    • Imagery
    • Chronology
    • Humour
    • Characterisation
    • Creation of Tension and Suspense

That list is taken directly from the All Wrapped Up comparative notes

How do you go about discussing the chronology?

Advertisement