Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Influence of the Sea on Norway. (Geography)

Options
  • 07-06-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

The sea has had a major impact on the economy of Norway. A number of factors have contributed to this. The indented nature of the fjord coastline and the inhospitable nature of the land and the North Atalntic drift.

One way that the sea has benifitted Norway is by means of fishing. norway has ideal conditions for the fishing industry:
      An extensive continental shelf which encourages plankton growth
    1. Because of the Skerrie Island, there is good shelter for inshore fishing
    2. Many good species of fish migrate along the coast.
    the fishing industry gives rise to many important jobs both on sea and land. Up to 30000 people work at sea, with 8-10 times that onland. The fact that these jobs are found in the north and west of the country makes it very valuble indeed.
    As fish stocks begin to deplete in the region, the Norweigens are developing a thriving fish farming sector, thus ensures the sea continues to foster their fishing in Norway.

Another way the sea has benifitted Norway is by means of HEP. As the mild moist westerly winds approach the coast of Norway, they are forced over the Kjolan ranger and deposit heavy relief rainfall. This rainfall provides the water for HEP. If the winds had not blown over the oceans, they would not have gathered moisture. If the winds had blown from the east, they would have been cold and dry, and lead to no HEP. So it is thanks to the sea that Norway has its HEP. It has transformed the economy of the country in all sectors-primary, secondary and tertiary.

Another way the sea has benifitted Norway is the supply of North Sea oil and gas. This has been a fairly recent occurance and has been of enormous benefit to the country. It is pumped from the field in the North Sea to the south west of the country and there is a refined petrochemical industry in the country. The region around Stravanger and Bergen have been transformed by oil, providing many jobs. As well as oil refining, oil drilling platforms, tankers, tanks and pipes are built, hence leading to more jobs. It has also benifited the Norweigen economy from export tax, etc. It exports 80% of all its oil because it is already well off with its thriving HEP. This has had a major role in the development of Norway as a modern, wealthy country.

Another way the sea has influnced Norway is the strong maritime tradion it has. In this country we are fully aware of this tradition. The Norse plundered our coasts in about 800AD, and thankfully today this 'tradition' is more peaceful. The Norweigens build oil tankers to transport oil around the world. They also build state of the art fishing vessels and they has a strong merchant Navy which transports goods around the world. Yes, the sea has in the past, the present, and will undoubtedly in the futurre play a major role in the development of Norway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

All this talk about studying Norway and Italy and all these other things has me a little worried. I'm doing the leaving from home and all I've been studying is France and Ireland. So I'm pretty screwed. Meh, who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Im studying france and Ireland too so ill be in the same boat. Although im doing spain as well thats it. I just did this up for a favour to randomfella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Cheers africa, appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stoopidkid

that q came up when i sat the leavin 2years ago.. sweet little question! good luck guys..

Advertisement