Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

content.ie5 cleaning script?

• 07-06-2005 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

I have many PCs throughout my network that have multiple users logging into them. Therefore I have MANY profiles under documents and settings. I have so many that I am now seeing 40Gb hard drives getting eaten up with temporary internet files. In particular I would like to delete the following folder: c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temporary internet folders\content.ie5. What I would like to have is a simple script that I could run on the hard drive that would delete the folder named "content.ie5" from each profile. I have admin rights but don't want to spend the time going through 80 or 90 profiles manually. I will create a GPO that will set the temporary internet files to delete upon exist (from Explorer) but that won't help with those who don't log onto a particular machine again.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

oddly enough I did one earlier today for TEMP - will post later..

Not tidied up - but once debugged should be runable using psexec on remote PC's but you'd have to sort out the user.dump bit too.
    CD %userprofile%
    cd ..
    dir /B>Dirlst

for /F "tokens=*" %%i in (dirlst) do del /S /Q /F "%%i\Local Settings\Temp"
    for /F "tokens=*" %%i in (dirlst) do del /S /Q /F "%%i\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

:manual removal of other junk 
    Del /S /P user.dmp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I was thinking something along the lines of a script I could run on the server that will delete the temp stuff, like:

deltree /Y c:\documents and settings\*\local settings\Temporary Internet Files\content.IE5/*

cmd doesn't allow wildcards in the middle of the string though :(

looking on the net for a script, I'd have thouht it'd be a fairly common problem

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Deltree only works on win9X - which doesn't have user profiles unless you like inflicting pain on yourself.

Which version of windows - and have you looked at the script above ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I have now, silly me, I only read the beginning of it before, using win2K so that script looks good, I'll give it a go, thanks captn' :)

Advertisement