Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any sign of unlimited broadband comin out in Ireland?

• 07-06-2005 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Elo ppl,
    just wonderin, is der any sign of Unlimited bandwidth broadband comin out in Ireland. they have it in England by AOL and i was wonderin if it would come out here to. The reason is, im a bit addicted to playin Black hawk Down multi player online and it eats Dandwidth :(

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I have yet to find any online game that would break a 16gig (0r 24gig) cap by itself.

Assuming 4hours playtime every day, at 10kB/sec (more than i've ever seen a game use), you'd only use a mere 4gigs. In other words, unless you spend 16 hours a day gaming, you won't break the cap just by gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Apparently BT don't enforce their cap policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Gegerty wrote:
    Apparently BT don't enforce their cap policy

Yeah but they've still got you by the balls if they go looking for €€€ in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dossingdave

I have yet to find any online game that would break a 16gig (0r 24gig) cap by itself.

Assuming 4hours playtime every day, at 10kB/sec (more than i've ever seen a game use), you'd only use a mere 4gigs. In other words, unless you spend 16 hours a day gaming, you won't break the cap just by gaming.

Thanks for the replies Guys, us irish are always the best for help :D
    So, r u tellin me that if i play BHD for about 3 hours a day, everyday, i will never go over my limit <which is 8GB in my case with UTV>

Thanks again guys,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

First, yes assuming thats all you use it for and you dont dowload loads of mods for it.

Second, do UTV not provide a way for you to check your bandwidth usage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dossingdave

yes, UTV do let you do that, but the bloody site doesnt let me login :mad:
    Bloody feckers lol :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While NTL do have limits in their contract, they don't actually enforce it and if they did they couldn't chrage you €€€ as it isn't in the contract. The worst they could do is cancel your contract and kick you off the service (not that they have ever done that). Even then they would probably give you plenty of notice and give you the oppurtunity to reduce your usage.

So they are probably the closest thing to an unlimited service, at least you won't need to worry about your usage.

Had an interesting chat with a telecomms guru we got in to help us in work.

He said eircomnet, the guys who basicly provide the backhaul connections for the majority of broadband and dedicated data lines in ireland, are pretty much maxed out capacity wise. While the physical infrastruce like fibre to the exchanges and is good their backbone(the actual conection to the net) does not have enough capacity to deal with uncapped products or non contented products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Should we really be surprised? This country's telephone business is a joke, imagine how bad it could have been if BT never showed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

<which is 8GB in my case with UTV>

You're with UTV? Don't worry about going over your cap due to gaming so, you won't get to do much between the hours of 4pm - 2am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I B B dont have a cap on the 2mb service i know ppl think its **** for online games but ive never had a prob with it in that respect im up to 45-50Gb this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

im up to 45-50Gb this month.

what in 8 days? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

There's already an unlimited package if you're willing to pay accordingly. It's called eircom Business Enhanced.

www.eircom.ie/business ,click Business Products & Services Information then Broadband Services then How much does it cost?
    4Mb/256kbps

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

lomb wrote:
    what in 8 days? :confused:

Just checked DUMeter there now

June 2005 DL 38.47GB UL 10.96GB DL & UL 49.43GB Dial-Up N/A

:o

Time to cut back me thinks. I went a bit crazy over the bank hol.

Advertisement