Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[request} Ramps for servicing car?

Options
  • 07-06-2005 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me where to pick up ramps for servicing the car please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Halfords & Argos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

If you have anything like a normal-sized car, don't get the Halford's ones. I went out to buy a pair and was at the till when I saw that the maximum approved tyre size on them was 185 x 14". In other words: tiny wheels only.

Maybe the Argos ones are better...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Also worth looking in the Buy & Sell.
    I bought a set for £10 (nearly new) about 5 years ago. Many people buy them with good intentions ...but never actually use them - hence bargains in the B&S :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

what do they do/ look like. do they raise the car?

Yep. Just drive the front wheels up on them.
    I wouldn't be able to do an oil change without them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Silvera wrote:
    Yep. Just drive the front wheels up on them.
    I wouldn't be able to do an oil change without them !

cool, must pick up some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Looking for some myself to do work on the mam's Micra, is it possible to put the back wheels on the ramps too, for work on a mid engined car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I bought a 2 tonne trolly jack and a pair of 2 tonne axel stands in argos recently for about €40.

Squirrel wrote:
    Looking for some myself to do work on the mam's Micra, is it possible to put the back wheels on the ramps too, for work on a mid engined car?

You could drive the front wheels up first and then jack up the rear - tho you'd want a powerful trolley jack.....and even then it would be tricky! :D

I saw an advert in a UK mag for a jacking system to lift a car about 2-3 feet off the ground - cost c.STG£1100 !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Silvera wrote:
    You could drive the front wheels up first and then jack up the rear - tho you'd want a powerful trolley jack.....and even then it would be tricky! :D

I saw an advert in a UK mag for a jacking system to lift a car about 2-3 feet off the ground - cost c.STG£1100 !

So thats a bit of a no then, ah well, just thought they coul be easier than the axle stands i use, they don't give much room at all.

And my god that's alot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement