Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying an Asbestos roof??

Options
  • 07-06-2005 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Greetings

Am renovating a 60 year-old ex-council bungalow soon in middle of nowhere. How do I tell if the roof is asbestos? There are slates on the roof and they look kinda like concrete??

Heres a fairly sh*tty pic of said roof for your enjoyment!
    Can anybody by any remote chance tell from the pic??

Many Thanks

F

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

You would need a better image than that to even hazard a guess. I would advise calling in a contractor, most do free quotes, find one and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

astec123 wrote:
    You would need a better image than that to even hazard a guess. I would advise calling in a contractor, most do free quotes, find one and see what they say.

Definately don't mess around with the roof just in case,
    get somebody who knows what there doing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

No intention of touching the roof myself - I'm no punk!
    What I WAS asking was do asbesos tiles resemble concrete-looking tiles....

F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

Yes asbestos can form on concrete tiles, even on slate tiles also. I don't think it would be that unsafe to remove them, just once you
    didn't cut or break them, hence releasing the asbestos particles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

People worry about asbestos far more than they should. You can remove them yourself. You do have to pay to have them dumped properly though. Ring your local corpo and they will give you disposal info.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

FX Meister wrote:
    People worry about asbestos far more than they should. QUOTE]

Next you'll be telling us we don't need safety standards.

Studies have shown that low exposure to small amounts of asbestos fibres, can lead to extreme illness in future years.

Asbestosis is an extremely serious illness.

http://www.cheshire-med.com/programs/pulrehab/asbestosis.html

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Fredser,

60 years old would be about right for the first of the asbestos slates, actually they started pre ww2 but they didn't use underlay because the asbestos slate was supposed to be the miracle replacement for natural slates.

That said I would need a closer image, if the finish is flat (No Profile) but could be diamond shaped and has what looks like a nail in the bottom of each slate the chances about 99% they are asbestos.

If they are profiled, about 20 mm thick, with about 350mm exposure the chances are they are early Weatherwell or CPI concrete tiles.

A better image is advised, the slates and sheets were made from a combination of asbestos and cement, when left alone they were supposed to be ok.

The new school of thought is the weather exposed the fibres and they are not only a possible danger when being removed but the fibres are also being dislodged in heavy rainfall possibly entering the water table or worse lying on the surface and being blown around in the wind.

A product not treated lightly, Asbestosis can take thirty years or more to take effect and not a nice sight.

Thanks Peter,

If I manage to get a few high-res-close-ups of the roog I'll post 'em up here and would be forever grateful if you could cast your eye over and give me your opinion.

Thanks again

F

Hi folks.

I posted this a few months back and now have some better photos of said roof.

I know it's still a long shot but here goes. Any theories : asbestos or not?

Many TA TAS

Fred

Hi Fredser,

Yes asbestos / cement 24" x 12" manufactured in Tegral Athy back when the Irish owned it.

A job done fairly well at the time going on photo 1 and the rest as the roof appears to sit nice enough.

Any chance you could send me a slight taste in an email ? I just want to be sure they were originally Blue Black :)

Well Kadman is a stickler for detail :D

• Advertisement

More pictures of offending roof: :)

Fred

Sorry Fred,

Just couldn't get to do the taste test and you know how particular Kadman is ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Ah yes, Rooferpete, the devil is in the detail.

These damn digital pics is having a negative effect on me cad pics ;)

Rookad needs a new challenge , any offers :D:D

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Hi Fredser,

Here is a couple of reference links that may help:

http://www.epa.ie/TechnicalGuidanceandAdvice/GuidanceDocuments/Asbestos/
    http://www.enfo.ie/

At the Enfo site, click on Air Polution and look for "Asbestos in your home"

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

did you since replace the roof and how did you get on?

Hi Valerie

The roof is still on the house (which is safe once untouched).

However the house will be demolished soon so the roof will be removed and disposed of professionally at that stage.

F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

hi again, well ive found myself in a similar position:D renovating a 60 year old house with what i think to be asbestos slates. so did you give up on your old house then?

Advertisement