Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors

Options
  • 07-06-2005 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I am buyin my first house, and the solictors are an albsolute nightmare i got the solicitor through my mortgage company and even now they are saying that they are never using them again.

After our house has gone through, is there anywhere that you can complain to about the solicitors handling of the whole thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

You might be able to put in an official complaint with the Law society....

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

You might find this helpful.
    http://www.lawsociety.ie/displayCDAContent.aspx?node=400&groupID=400&code=complaints_handling

Incidentally, can you give some examples of why they were SO bad? Just curious as I deal with them every day of the week & I have a hitlist of the really shoddy ones who make my heart sink when I see their name on the list!!
    You can PM me if you want to take it off board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

babaduck wrote:
    You can PM me if you want to take it off board

Hell, put them up as public! People have a right to know, and I suppose as long as nothing is said against each mentioned. Just a yes/good or no/bad beside each name...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

they only want the money for doing **** all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

county wrote:
    they only want the money for doing **** all

Tell me some job that doesn't!

I really doubt the bank will advise people not to use him again. The proffesion is generally a mystery to us all and considering the level of training required I am guessing it is a bit tricky. Maybe it is just an arkward thing to do I know I have experience people thinking aspect of my job are easy when they aren't and take longer than they want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

Basically there are a few points.

We have been dealing with them for about 6/7 weeks, and i only spoken to the solicitor twice, we went in to sign our mortgage papers and other things and we had to deal with her assistant (the solicitor walked straight by us and didnt acknoledge us the least she could have said was that she was called into a meeting and her assistant would look after us,)

My next door neighbour is a solicitor and she has been asking me a few things about the house and has our solicitor done various things which I didnt know anything about.

They also had a form that I needed to get signed by my parents and instead of sending it out to me weeks ago they gave it to me when i went into sign the mortgage stuff my parents are away on holidays so now I have to wait until they return to sign this form. We cant get the mortgage cheque until this is done,

I had to ring the vendors solicitor myself to get the closing date, because after 3 weeks of asking my solicitor to do it she still hadn't got the closing date.

There are loads of other things aswell, If i ever have any questions I can never get an answer to them, Im a first time buyer i dont know the in's and outs of the legal stuff there supposed to be advising me, ive gotton more information off websites and different people than I can from them, and its not from lack of trying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

You can complain to the law society about them, and if you do it properly, they'll be investigated. I bought a house with a mate a few years ago, then a year or two later, the house made a few quid, he bought me out, i bouoght another house and we both ended up with a house each!
    But my mates solicitor dragged her heels for fcukin ages. She delayed me buying my house cos I was waiting for her to release the money of my mates after he bought my half of the house. We wrote a combined letter of complaint to the law society and ended up that the they undertook the rest of her cases and she was suspended pending an investigation.
    Felt kinda bad afterwards, but at the end of the day she did a crap job- her problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

i am after having the most absotlute nightmare with my solicitors

first of all

after trying to find out for weeks what the closing date of the house was to no avail.

I rang the estate agent (well the office the estate agent that I am dealing with is on holidays) I got told that the people who own the house were planning on pulling out because they have had not contact from my solictor what so ever.

So after numerous phone calls from me and the mortgage broker (who has bent over backwards to help me I would reccomend him to anyone) the solicitor finally rang me back to say that she just found out today that a planning search would take six months (i got on to planning and found out in ten minutes).

i told the solicitor id sue her if we lost the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,082 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It would appear that the Law Society would be your best bet at the end of the day.

However I would suggest that you put all your questions and grievences in writing to your solicitor and put her on notice that you do intend to make an official complaint to the Law Society regardless of the outcome of the convence you are a party to.

Put a reasonable timescale down for your solicitor to have matters addressed and also a reasonable time for her to give you a written responce to your letter.

Indicate also that you are revoking any previous authorisation that you give to her in relation to receiving and cashing any cheques that are payable to you (i.e. cheque from mortgage co.)

If the mortgage is in joint names make sure that the letter is signed by both of you.

Finally, send the letter by registered post and if you feel it is necessary, send a copy to the vendor and/or their solicitor.

Hope this helps and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Your solictgor sounds so much like the one I used who was recommended to me through my mortgage broker...it was resolved in the end but I ended up telling my broker to get him to get his act sorted or else I would go elsewhere ...its not like either of them - solictor or broker - are doing you a favour, they are making money on the strenght of you after all.

If you get nowhere the threat of IFSRA (I think thats the right name for them) Irish financial services regulatory authority might be able to advise or help.?

Good luck hope it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

IFSRA probably can't do anything about the solicitor, only the broker.

Advertisement