Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - handy phrases

Options
  • 07-06-2005 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Please add to this list of handy phrases

The Author's/poet's use of imagery allows us to see the world through the Author's/poet's eyes, we are no longer readers but on the spot observers of the action/world of the poem/poet/author

Dickinson is an idiosyncratic genius- refers to her unique style, capital letters,intense lyrics etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

Polonius/Claudius is a machiavellian character,cunning and devious,he believes that the end justifies the means.

Hamlets lyrical outburst on the nobility of man indicates his innate idealism, "what a piece of work is man...."

Claudius' is a consummate hypocrite who feigns sorrow when he feels none. The formality and careful crafting of his first speech further illustrates that his grief is not deeply felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

In hamlet's fight against hypocrisy he comes face to face with the fact that only the harsh reality of death uncovers all experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

The handiest phrases you can use in your whole English exam are
    "I" (followed by feel, sense, appreciate, think, understand, etc...)
    "Personally"
    "To me"
    "Through my reading of...."

Don't forget buzzwords like key moment for the comparative study, and the whole language and modes of comparison.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Polonius is a sycophant (ie. a lickarse)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

Fishie wrote:
    Polonius is a sycophant (ie. a lickarse)

Excellent! ^^^

redeming characters

Gertrude - loves her sun, does not initiate evil but is the victim of it

Claudius- prayer scene - only chance to see the man behind teh smiling mask

Ophelia - victim

Does anyone have any general phrases for comprehension like my very 1st in in original post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Juno Boyle and Rose Moran are altruists, selfless mothers who strive to see nothing other than the good health and welfare of their children ensured...

A general comprehension one of mine for answering argumentative pieces...
    In this extract from "X", the author utilises (Insert technique which induces thought here) as a vehicle for their argument, and by fielding this technique, the author has set me as a reader to consider aspects of this cause in ways I have not done before... etc...

Advertisement