Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - a few last minute questions

Options
  • 07-06-2005 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

ESSAY

if i do a personal essay, must I be the only character (I like haveing numerous related charcters in my essay kind of like Tom Clancy)

In a short story how important is the title, how relevant does the essay have to be in relevance to the title, how far can I strecth it

If i am writing an essay on a picture from text 1 is it ok if that pic is just mentioned as a passerby/scene in the background are do they have to be fundamental to the essay??

Poems

Can someone please give me a quote from a critic on Dickinson please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Well, a personal essay must revolve around an experience you had (also, i've been told not to make up experiences! They are never as good and gernerally don't sound geniune). So i suppose you have to be the central character. You don't have to be the only character though.

As long as the connection makes sense, your ok. The more imaginative/abstract the link is to the title the better, but there must be some form of link

The picture can have anything at all to do with the story. It doesnt have to be a concrete character or anything. You can pretty much go where you like with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

You can stretch it pretty damn far tbh. The tiniest hint of a link, as long as you make it clear in your writing, is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

start,middle and ending and your sorted

Advertisement