Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueface SMS Beta

Options
  • 07-06-2005 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hey Folks.
    Just noticed we have a new link at the top of our Account Info.
    Points to Blueface SMS Beta.
    Seems they are testing their SMS gateway.

Maybe a sign of SMS sending from the handset?

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Cool. Works for me. Now for fax ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Cool.
    I'm wondering is it conincidence or consequence following this thread (Blueface and SMS messages) a couple of days ago?

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It works but still has to be ironed out slightly. I texted myself and my girlfriend and the name/number comes up as "unkown". Other than that it seems good, the price is right. :cool:

Cool. Works for me. Now for fax ...
    Capistrano has had some success with fax over VoIP, check out this thread.

causal
    (Just the fax mam!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Yeah but I'm talking about soft-fax. Setting up a FoIP printer like a 'regular' fax over modem printer.

• Advertisement

As of yesterday the SMS beta period seems to be over.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

causal wrote:
    As of yesterday the SMS beta period seems to be over.

causal

I only signed up on Wednesday, got to send a total of 1 message! Any ideas what they are going to do with it now? I'm awaiting my Sipura 3000!

I think the plan is ultimately to provide SMS sending over your VoIP connection, (you need a phone with SMS capability - plenty available)
    There's work to be done to make that work, and I think it's a case of when can blueface complete it rather than if they will.

causal

The blueface web based SMS facility is back:
    Send an SMS to any Irish or UK Mobile Number (other destinations coming soon).
    (If you are on a Free Trial you are allowed to send one free SMS message to demonstrate the functionality.)

Destination Cost Per SMS (€)
    Ireland Meteor 0.07
    Ireland O2 0.07
    Ireland Vodafone 0.07
    UK O2 0.09
    UK Orange 0.09
    UK T-Mobile 0.09
    UK Three 0.07
    UK Vodafone 0.09
    UK Other 0.12
    It would be useful to have a counter that shows how many characters remain in the current text, starting at 160 and counting down (assuming the usual 160 character limit).
    The text arrived within seconds of hitting the Send button on the web page - admittedly it's now 0500 hours so the networks are not busy.
    CallerID shows 'blueface' as the sender
    The rates for texting the UK seem good value (I don't know what the normally cost on a mobile :o ) and even the Irish ones are cheaper than using the mobile (for me anyway).

However, for web based texting I use the 300 free onine texts from my mobile provider.
    imho the real value-add will come when we can send an SMS over the VoIP connection i.e. using a phone.

causal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Might come in handy now and then, but when will it work with those PSTN phones that support SMS?

• Advertisement
Advertisement