Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get a 2nd NTL Usage Warning or sanctions

• 07-06-2005 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Got my first warning from them in the post today - I wouln't consider myself a consistently heavy user, but from time to time do download a lot. Would have no trouble keeping to the 40Gb limit but 1GB a day would be broken quite often. Turned dumeter on now to see what I actually download.

Has anyone ignored the warnings and kept downloading way over the cap? Have they been in contact again and if so what sanctions if any did they apply?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I didn't get a warning but I did complain 2 weeks ago to NTL about horrible latency, averaging 200ms alot of the time. A support person contacted me on Friday explaining that a number of people in my area were abusing the service and would be warned by post.

Funnily enough today latency is much better. Not in D24 are you Monster :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

How can you go over a 40gig limit if you can't go over 1gig a day?lol. Anyway speaking of DUmeter, is there any similar software that is free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Gangsta wrote:
    How can you go over a 40gig limit if you can't go over 1gig a day?lol.
    LOL - read what he said again: "Would have no trouble keeping to the 40Gb limit but 1GB a day would be broken quite often". :o:p:D

I haven't heard of any sanctions for people going over the limit - possibly this is because they provide no way for you to know what your usage is - so you can always plead ignorance.
    However, if you've already been warned (I know you weren't) and didn't modify your behaviour then you can't really complain.

TheMonster - what did they say your actual usage was?

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

causal wrote:
    LOL - read what he said again: "Would have no trouble keeping to the 40Gb limit but 1GB a day would be broken quite often". :o:p:D

I haven't heard of any sanctions for people going over the limit - possibly this is because they provide no way for you to know what your usage is - so you can always plead ignorance.
    However, if you've already been warned (I know you weren't) and didn't modify your behaviour then you can't really complain.

TheMonster - what did they say your actual usage was?

causal

Only switched on dumeter yesterday so don't actually know. PC Only goes for about 4/5 hours any night its on(not every night) and most of the day at weekends. Some days I would say maybe 2GB others barely anything. Last night was 800MB for about 5 hours. Would be surprised if I was much over 40GB per month.

Canaboid wrote:
    I didn't get a warning but I did complain 2 weeks ago to NTL about horrible latency, averaging 200ms alot of the time. A support person contacted me on Friday explaining that a number of people in my area were abusing the service and would be warned by post.

Funnily enough today latency is much better. Not in D24 are you Monster :)
    Not me :p I'm in Lucan

• Advertisement

TheMonster wrote:
    Only switched on dumeter yesterday so don't actually know.... Would be surprised if I was much over 40GB per month.
    I thought ntl would have given you the exact details of your usage in their letter.
    If they want to implement caps strictly then imho they need to provide some means for customers to accurately measure actual usage.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I got a letter from NTL yesterday and today they rang about my BB usage.

DingDong - what area are you in?
    I'm just wondering if they're targetting areas with complaints (D.15 / D.8 / D.18)
    Also, did they tell you what your actual usage was?

causal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gangsta wrote:
    How can you go over a 40gig limit if you can't go over 1gig a day?lol. Anyway speaking of DUmeter, is there any similar software that is free?

Yes Netmeter
    unsure of the suite but I've uploaded the freeware version to my site if you want it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I'm in dublin 6w. They didnt say any thing about how much i downloaded just to take it easy.

• Advertisement

I would imagine its just scare tactics - what can they do? I haven't heard of them throttling and they have nothing about charging? They could cut you off but doubt if they would want to lose customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

This is worrying...
    But i got it easy..

They have the wrong address for me (not my fault) and the wrong tele no. (as i cancelled my line) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Lets face it lads,Ntl are very understanding about going over the Cap compared to other Isp.I've gone a little over my gig allowance sometimes but not all the time.I have looked back to see how much i downloaded over a month and it always falls short of the limit.

Long may it continue that all we get is a phone call or a letter rather than a bill looking for more money for going over over caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

I'd have to agree with that, they're being quite nice about it.
    When I was on Netsource last year sometime we went over the 16gig a month cap (at 22.6 I think) and on the 1st of the next month we got put on a "shared line" with all the other abusers. 8000ms ping and less than 1k/s - worse than dialup.

Was then able to agree I wouldn't go over it again and normal service resumed but if you go over it a second time with them they just do it to you instantly, without warning, for a whole month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I've had an unregistered version of DUMeter running for about 6 months now, and for some reason it keeps telling me that I'm on day 5 of a 30 day free trial :D

I'm not complaining

^^^^ The old trusty 'Groundhog Day' error :D

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I've noticed with a couple of trial apps that if you install them as an admin user and then actually use them in a lower-privileged account that they have permission issues when writing to some parts of the registry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

sure even the people that installed NTL for me said pretty much to download loads but just dont go 2 overboard

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

causal wrote:
    ^^^^ The old trusty 'Groundhog Day' error :D

causal

I had a old copy of 30 day trail Paint Shop Pro that lasted for 3 years :D

Advertisement