Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows XP Help

• 07-06-2005 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hope somebody out there can help.
    Windows XP will not load up for me at all.
    Tried Safe Mode, etc etc
    Do not restart on fail worked and then i got the blue screen from hell with an error message.
    It basically say's that it has fixed a registry error after the load up screen and then crashes. Cant get to the desktop at all.
    The problem came from a driver that i used when installing a cheap web cam that i got free from IOL when i signed up for broadband.
    Any help at all would be great, by the way i do not have my XP install disc :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Unplug all USB devices including hubs.

Then try and reboot, safe mode first.

If you do get it started delete the offending device in the device manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

Drugness wrote:
    Hope somebody out there can help.
    Windows XP will not load up for me at all.
    Any help at all would be great, by the way i do not have my XP install disc

If you're only getting as far as the bootup screen (and BSOD), you won't make much progress without having an XP installation CD. But even when armed with this, you'll need to watch out for a few more things. WARNING: these are not for the faint-hearted. You'd be well advised to have someone with a good bit of comp-savvy assisting you or indeed carrying out these steps:
    • Find out how to access the BIOS settings - these precede the loading of the operating system. Tread extra-carefully here, and make a note of EVERYTHING that you touch. The BIOS settings can usually be called up at comp. startup time with F2/F12/Delete key or some such key.
    • Sometimes there is a setting in the BIOS which prevents the CD from being used as a bootup device (this is for security reasons) - you'll need to disable this setting.
    • Lastly, you'll need to temporarily alter the "boot sequence" - i.e., the order in which the various storage devices are searched for information about the Windows XP operating system. This is necessary so that the computer does not keep deferring to the hard disk - with the corrupted Windows installation. The boot sequence usually follows the order Floppy/Hard Drive/CD-ROM/Network, A:/C:/CD-ROM/LAN or a similar description. Push the CD-ROM to the top of the list so that it gets searched first. Your boot sequence should read CD-ROM/Floppy/Hard Drive/Network, CD-ROM/A:/C:/LAN or similar.
    • Reboot the PC with the CD-ROM in place and it should spin up and show a startup screen. Options will appear to either repair your existing installation or re-install.. I'm presuming you'll want to repair the existing installation, so that you don't lose your data.

Hope that helps somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

what does the "blue screen from hell with an error message." say could just be driver check the make of the webcam site for new version

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Drugness

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I can't recall what the error message was exactly but i know it was definitely related to a driver.

Will give this a go and let ye know how it goes anyway.

Drugness

Advertisement