Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL back to 512

• 07-06-2005 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

IOL down to 512 here in Dooradoyle exchange Limerick

Anybody else with the same problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

have you gone over the 24gB limit?

they may be using QoS if you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mimix

Chalk wrote:
    have you gone over the 24gB limit?

they may be using QoS if you did.

Not in 7 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Still 2megs here. (Dublin - whitehall)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'm Dooradoyle 2 & only got 512 - pings are gone to 150-190 for Counter Strike: Source.

Eircom guys are sitting around eating ham sandwiches..... Why all this downtime - they NEVER inform ANYONE beforehand.....

Ring IOL or UTV now and some kid will read you answers 7 & 9 off their grubby script and reset your password.....

This country is backwards - well done €ircon. W@nker$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

esat in bray

WAN Port Statistics:
    Link Status: Up
    Upstream Speed: 128 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 1024 kbps

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote:
    I'm Dooradoyle 2 & only got 512 - pings are gone to 150-190 for Counter Strike: Source.

Eircom guys are sitting around eating ham sandwiches..... Why all this downtime - they NEVER inform ANYONE beforehand.....

Ring IOL or UTV now and some kid will read you answers 7 & 9 off their grubby script and reset your password.....

This country is backwards - well done €ircon. W@nker$

So, another Limerick problem, wonder how long it will take to fix this time.
    It took close to a week last time.

will ring and rant first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

hmm here we go again
    downloading this
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/fedora/3/i386/iso/FC3-i386-disc1.iso
    at 25k per sec even lower than 512,,normally i dl that at 2.2meg per sec.

who dropped there sambo in the works this time

palmerstown ,iol 2meg

Seems like Eircom will make whatever changes they see fit at exchange end in order to carry out a week long upgrade/downgrade/card game - whatever....

Even if you're UTV or IOL or whatever you still pay those to$$Ers a monthly rental.

They owe us more than the lack of info - they should be required to advise all ISPs prior to fackin' things up......

Pack of inbred, daylight-robbing, monkey-breath, swine.

Its all acceptable in Ireland 'cause "shure twill be all grand in the end......"

cuppa wrote:
    hmm here we go again
    downloading this
    ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/fedora/3/i386/iso/FC3-i386-disc1.iso
    at 25k per sec even lower than 512,,normally i dl that at 2.2meg per sec.

who dropped there sambo in the works this time

palmerstown ,iol 2meg

I would love to know how you get 2.2mbits/sec from a 2meg line

edit: My speed in Kildare is around 286kbits/sec at the moment.

Contention at the exchange? Contention at the backhaul? Contention at the ISP? Take your pick.

• Advertisement

I heard before from someone - who says they knew someone that did their university co-op in €ircon.

Apparently they have a league set up between all the exchanges - loads of really competitive games of Twister. Winners go on to play other staff from different exchanges. Apparently the Limerick staff are really good at foot on yellow and hand on blue - but can't seem to get the rest of it.....

.....Get knocked out of league early every year and have to go back to playing with the BIG train set in the Henry St. office....

mimix wrote:

And you're encouraging me to download J2SE runtime env. to emphasise the issue and maximise the misery....Thanks Mimix..... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

mimix wrote:
    I use that handy piece of toolkit regularly (I'm on the Caherdavin exchange). Tonight its ratings show download/upload speeds of 860kbps and 78.7kbps respectively. The latter figure is definitely below par

I wonder why the term "willy-nilly maintenance plan" springs to mind?

Raiser wrote:
    Pack of inbred, daylight-robbing, monkey-breath, swine.

Its all acceptable in Ireland 'cause "shure twill be all grand in the end......"

Hey there, if you want dedicated bandwith and a service level agreement splash out the big bucks and get a private circuit from eircom.

I can tell you now that you are looking at the wrong side of 20 grand for a 2 meg line for a year.

You are paying for a contended product with no backup. That is what you are getting.

Yes, I don't like it either

- Oh forgive me for being SO demanding sir, I'll just go back to my 3com 33.6K external modem and play pong against the 1976 Yale varsity team.

- All the while our polititians chat over argentinian steak dinners about the possibilities of rolling out Broadband in Ireland over the next decade.

- Yes I DO SEE NOW that domestic users in the UK and mainland users are paying 20K p.a. for a reasonable broadband service - thats why they don't have to put up with the half-arsed slack I'm seeing.

- Sorry to be so uppity, I'll put up and shut-up in the face of it for fear of seeming unreasonable.

& BTW contention isn't the problem and I don't want an SLA - just a bare hint at a show of professionalism would do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

well im dl that file i posted at 215KB/sec now im back to normal
    I ran lavasoft xsoftspy and spybot ,,found a load of ****..(i blame the kids :) )
    anyway im back cs time now and back to the drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

ISP: Esat
    Connection: 1mb

Current max Dl speeds: 16kbs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I'm on IOL in limerick - getting the usual 1.73mb down, 102kb up.

Raiser wrote:
    - Oh forgive me for being SO demanding sir, I'll just go back to my 3com 33.6K external modem and play pong against the 1976 Yale varsity team.

- All the while our polititians chat over argentinian steak dinners about the possibilities of rolling out Broadband in Ireland over the next decade.

- Yes I DO SEE NOW that domestic users in the UK and mainland users are paying 20K p.a. for a reasonable broadband service - thats why they don't have to put up with the half-arsed slack I'm seeing.

- Sorry to be so uppity, I'll put up and shut-up in the face of it for fear of seeming unreasonable.

& BTW contention isn't the problem and I don't want an SLA - just a bare hint at a show of professionalism would do me.

Ok well my point is this is not unique to Ireland. Ive been to the UK for a while and their DSL via BT has lots of the same problems. Contention is as big a problem there as it is becoming here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Anyone any idea how long this is going to last? It's started on me today in galway. I'm downloading at 20Kbytes/s which is ridiculous and my pings for cs source are between 130-150!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I'm on the Palmerstown exchange with Eircom and no problems on my 1meg connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Sarsfield wrote:
    I'm on the Palmerstown exchange with Eircom and no problems on my 1meg connection
    hmm strange. It seems to be only happening with BT customers, will they hurry up and fix it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

IOLBB+ - Roaches St. Limerick, a-ok here, 217KB down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

check this thread for my post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260803

have had no problems since, might work for you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

Scruff wrote:
    check this thread for my post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260803

have had no problems since, might work for you too.

I've just tried that tack - no improvement, in fact the situation (contention??) has disimproved since the last run of the Irish ISP test link... now running at 112kbps download / don't even want to check the upload!

Advertisement