Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio 4 Programme on Alien abduction, Wednesday 9th 9pm

Options
  • 07-06-2005 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

BBC Radio 4, Wednesday 9th 21.00

Abduction, Alienation and Reason
    The late John E Mack was an eminent Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard University and a Pulitzer Prize winner. He was also passionately interested in the universal phenomenon of alien abduction. Harvard University found his research irrational and tried to stop it.

Sue Nelson tells the story of Mack's battle with his academic colleagues to keep an open mind and his struggle to understand those who claim to have been abducted. His plea was as much for them as for the future of psychiatry.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A slightly breathless follow-up is at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4071124.stm

I wonder if they found any aliens to match the experiences? From my understanding of how common it is, the skies in the US must be full of saucers with medically-inclined spacemen, so it should be quite easy to shoot down a few. Strange as well that they don't make it across the Atlantic; must be the rain over here or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭KCF

robindch wrote:
    Strange as well that they don't make it across the Atlantic; must be the rain over here or something.
    Bill Hicks has a hilarious routine about this - hillbilly aliens with a penchant for alabama.

According to opinion polls, something over 1% of the US population claim to have been abducted by aliens. I'm guessing that there is a massive correlation between these people and the believers in creationism and an all powerful god. So, the big questions are, on what day did god make the aliens and why doesn't the bible mention this minor detail? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Didn't yer one on Big Brother claim to have been abuducted 7 times by aliens? I would tend to trust her, she didn't seem like a wacko at all .. plus she was a white witch and could see the future .. pity she didn't know about the BB showers in advance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭BrendanBurgess

the programme was very sympathetic to him. But one of his defenders said that he did not say that these people were abducted by aliens. He just felt that, as a psychiatrist, they did not appear to be insane and their experiences should be investigated. I didn't bother reading the book, so I don't know what he really said.

Brendan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But what of the aliens that were abducted by the US military - doesn't anyone care ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement