Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Wolf

Options
  • 08-06-2005 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Next episode of D.W. looks fairly cool, with the Big Brother, Weakest Link piss take and all.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm not sure. As a satire it seems it could be fun but to mix it in with the more threatening idea of the Daleks? Hmm... But then RTD's greatest weakness, as we all know, is his driving need to inject farcical comedy into his stories. Still he may deliver the biting satire we want.

While I'm at it, they're missing out on a prime opportunity here by not covering 'Gladiators' - remember Wolf on it? And the audience would sing "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Is there a bit of a parallel there with John Nathan-Turner and his thang for light entertainment. Are those three new D.W. B.B.C. novels any good? Just finished "Kursaal", an older eight doctor B.C.C. book, and its quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Well Im going to wait to see it first before I slate it for satire/farce that may or may not be present :):p

Plus over the last few weeks Ive been watching large chunks of the original series - I think some Dr Who fans have been wearing those rose-tinted specs too much - some of the old stuff made farting-slitheen look like high art; they were truly awful. And that included many Tom Baker adventures...

I'd say this Bad Wolf is Davros, fairly obvious, or the Master, not so likely. Anything else would be fairly a suprise. As far as the telly series is concerned, Davros escaped the destruction of the massive Dalekk ship in "Rememberence of the Daleks". Did he show up in the New Adventures or the BBC eigth Doctor books?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looking forward to next week. According to the sun yesterday, this is definitely the end of the daleks, and they will not be popping up in series 2 (or 28, depending on how you look at it :)).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Davros re-appeared in the EDAs. There they ret-conned the destruction of Skaro by, IIRC, saying that the Doctor had used the Hand of Omega on the wrong planet in "Remembrance of the Daleks". But then Davros was sentenced to death by one of the Dalek factions (there's a couple - those loyal to Davros and those originally loyal to the Emperor Dalek... ). Anyway I *think* he survived that too but the book wasn't very good or memorable.

As to who it is - there's a couple of theories floating around. Davros is, naturally, a popular one. It would seem to fit too given that the Doctor, the leading Time Lord, would face off the leader of his mortal enemies - Davros. Maybe Davros started the whole war in the first place.

On the other hand, what favours the Master is that time is being manipulated. The Master would, presumably, have a TARDIS of his own and they need some sort of time travel device to go backwards. Having said that, it's implied that the Daleks were able to time travel too but the Master may pop up to appease us.

The final favourite is Adam, from this series. It may seem like an outside chance but think about it - he'll have developed a grudge against the Doctor for tossing him out of the TARDIS. He's got 200k years of knowledge to assimilate, which may enable him to discover the secret of time travel. Plus the story is set in the same location we last saw his character - giving a sort of creative link to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

I've read who it actually is - there was a special screening at BAFTA tonight for press etc, and some peeps revealed who it is. I wont say though :D

Oh and more importantly - it was announced at this screening BBC have decided to commission a THIRD series, before the second series has even started filming, along with 2 special xmas specials :D:D That's some fairly serious commitment to the show. It was also mentioned elsewhere that the recent BBC cutbacks and budget slashing would not affect their flagship shows, one of whihc is the new Dr.Who series (along with other obvious choices like Eastenders etc).
    Oh and Billie Piper will be staying on for the second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ixoy wrote:
    The final favourite is Adam, from this series. It may seem like an outside chance but think about it - he'll have developed a grudge against the Doctor for tossing him out of the TARDIS. He's got 200k years of knowledge to assimilate, which may enable him to discover the secret of time travel. Plus the story is set in the same location we last saw his character - giving a sort of creative link to him.

Except that the maid back in old england said to Rose "You have met the big bad wolf". So the wolf would be in the first couple of episodes which Adam wasn't.

Posted a load of links to Dr Who sites that are actually referenced in the series on the TV forum.

Adam would be rot, can't wait till later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭shacko

I didnt like the Bad Wolf Explanation. It still dosnt make sence to me. Am i just slow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

no it was abit far fetched, at least they used a classic mini cooper not a
    mini one (not a mini!) they could have done it better. what if she didn't under stand what i ment that would be the end of everything... and noway are the darlecks dead! they must return you would not kill of your best villans and not have them come back could you?

Advertisement