Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bank holiday weekend a safe one.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

does not mean it was safe,what are the drink-driving figures for this bank holiday,problely the same % as the last bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Better than any other Bank Holiday weekend. Lets keep it up folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Omg you sound like my supervisor. I hate people who say 'folks' :(

I saw loads of people speeding on the roads. I'm shocked and amazed it wasn't a bad weekend because SPEED KILLS, right?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Omg you sound like my supervisor. I hate people who say 'folks' :(

I saw loads of people speeding on the roads. I'm shocked and amazed it wasn't a bad weekend because SPEED KILLS, right?
    wrong! Inappropriate speed kills, along with drink, drugs, tiredness, etc. but lets not mention those!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's because I went away for the weekend. The evidence is obvious. I am the cause of 80% of accidents in this country. :)

Actually my not-so-subtle point is that sometimes these weekends are pure chance. The next bank holiday they could have an identical number of checkpoints and there'd be multiple deaths. Perhaps the weather had a big influence - people decided to walk to the pubs instead of driving. Or perhaps it compelled people to go away for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

i was thinkin the number of deaths must be low if our tabloid news (tv3) didn't have something to say about it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

At least we're saved from another 'Carnage on our roads' headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

No mass hysteria, then? I'm disappointed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Clampdown" me nelly, I drove from Dublin to Galway last Friday and back on the Sunday, never saw a single Garda...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'd say it's more down to luck than anything else.
    Although the Garda announcement of the fact that they would be sitting outside pubs targeting drunk drivers (about time too!) probably did account for some of it.

Roll on the fully-operational Traffic Corps (and penalty points system) - an increased Garda presence will have a big effect of road safety!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm begining to get the impression its more and more a matter of public perception. If people consciously believe there is a risk of getting caught and or killed, they behave. Then two week later people get lazy and bam, six people get killed in one day (it's happened twice this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

...you sound like my supervisor.

Oh really, heh heh heh...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

I've seen some pretty bad driving the weekend.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a hape of accidents (only without the usual fatalities) the main problem being old women travelling at 40mph holding up lines of traffic thinking that they're actually 'contributing to road safety', when all of a sudden someone's had enough and chances it. Boom, there's your problem.

The government needs to launch a 'speed-up' campaign for daytime telly housewives. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Biker.ie wrote:
    I've seen some pretty bad driving the weekend.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a hape of accidents (only without the usual fatalities) the main problem being old women travelling at 40mph holding up lines of traffic thinking that they're actually 'contributing to road safety', when all of a sudden someone's had enough and chances it. Boom, there's your problem.

The government needs to launch a 'speed-up' campaign for daytime telly housewives. :)
    They need to bring in a minimum speed limit for motorways and N roads. If your not making reasonable progress then you get fined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Biker.ie wrote:
    ......the main problem being old women travelling at 40mph holding up lines of traffic thinking that they're actually 'contributing to road safety', when all of a sudden someone's had enough and chances it. Boom, there's your problem.

..... :)

Yeah, been there done that. Wish I could pull s/he from the car and beat s/he senseless on the door pilliar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Victor wrote:
    I'm begining to get the impression its more and more a matter of public perception. If people consciously believe there is a risk of getting caught and or killed, they behave. Then two week later people get lazy and bam, six people get killed in one day (it's happened twice this year).
    Don't know about the rest of the country, but more cars outside the pubs at the weekend, and no sign of more "cokes/orange juice" etc. Day trippers too, not locals accounting for the increase. Saw no guards sat outside the pubs or on my (usual before anyone gets ideas) walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Between Saturday and Tuesday I went through 5 checkpoints and 1 speed trap in Dublin, I'd say I went through as many in the last 3 years, I felt there was a more visable presence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Hmmm, I drove over 400 miles on the BH weekend and I didn't see one, I may have broken the limit a few times too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Just because there was only 1 killed over the bank holiday weekend means NOTHING. 9 have been killed in June alone so far (almost 1 per day) and plenty more are going to die this month. If the "only 1" killed over the bank holiday was a result of increased garda presence, then surely they should be doing that 365 days a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement