Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling events this weekend

Options
  • 08-06-2005 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

For those of you who don't already know, the Wicklow 200 is on this Sunday. Details on:

http://www.wicklow200.ie

On the same day the Epic Blast is being run in Ballinastoe Wood, Co. Wicklow. Epic are trying out a new race format with this one, designed to appeal to a wide range of rideers. Check out the details at http://www.epicmtb.com

2005_05_31_epic_blast.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

The race took form in a series of 11 heats in all. 109 riders took part, I was expecting maybe 20/30 tops. Everyone had one heat and depending on where they finished they were placed in a final at that level. The first heat was crazy, a random element thrown in for good measure where riders were lumped together by the number on their race plate, not by ability. So everyones heat was full of both downhill and cross country racers.
    Unfortunately I was in the first heat, with who was to become the overall winner of the day. When the start horn sounded, pacing was out the window and everyone just charged down the track. The start was unique, something known as the Apache Charge. You could either take a narrow track down the to trees or, if daring enough, charge blindly through the goarse praying not to find any holes or hidden rocks disguised as bushes.
    Of course I did the charge which was faster and far more fun. But after trying to keep up with the over all winner (we all did) I was burnt out. I managed to come into the first tree section 3rd out of 10, but lost alot of gound later on in the lower parts. Sometimes I hate the weight of my bike! Finished 8th in the end, worn out and dying. But it was nice to see everyone else in the same state.
    Then it was a long walk back to the top, and a long wait for the rest of the feild to join us. I was in the eighth final, so got to see many a crash in the preceeding Apache Charges. Also figured out the fastest way through the gorse which worked well in my final as I was first into the trees. But thats when things went wrong. I clipped one tree with the handle bars and head-butted the next. Took a lump out of my helmet and was passed for 4 riders. That was the last I saw of them.
    I got back on kept moving, down the Downhill only bits (I was the only DHer in my final) and kept listening out for their whistles but all I could hear were mine. Were they all that far ahead? I kept moving though, just had to finish this 20 mins of hell in one piece.
    Eventually caught up with one guy, and passing him pushed me to keep ahead of him all the way to the end. Got to the brilliant single track and decided not to use the brakes unless I was going to hit another tree. Flew through that bit, but was so tired I kept clipping my shoulders and the edge of the bars off trees. Crossed the line and collasped, not knowing where I had finished, just relieved that it was over! I stumbled over to the finish line to see where I had finished, only to find out I was first! Excellent!!
    It was a great day, I was expecting so much more than a mild concusion and am relatively ok today. The track, my god the track was brilliant, some incredible single tracks that beg to be abused again soon, the DH section we built is just crazy and the drop. Oh lord the drop is mighty.We've made many new friends, many new rivalaries, and already a second one for september is planned. I can't wait. I'll be fighting for another trophy, as will the other 108 riders! Roll on the next one, and maybe I'll see some of ye at it.
    Check out some of the pics at http://www.mudluvers.0catch.com/blast.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I was at the Blast as an injury bound spectator and would like to add my congratulations to Epic MTB on a superb day and a leap forward for MTB events in Ireland. The work these guys put in over the last 3 months to carve a hybrid downhill/cross country course on the side of Ballinstoe wood has to seen to be believed.

It was great to see all shapes and sizes of bikes and riders at this event, and a great mix of DH and XC skills. It proves that MTB racing does'nt have to be the preserve of the uber-elite XC riders and that an event like this makes it accessible for most classes of rider.

I believe that another Blast is planned for early September, so if you're at all curious about this, keep an eye on http://www.epicmtb.com for the annoucement.

Advertisement