Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disabled spaces, and improper use of

Options
  • 08-06-2005 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

This really gets my goat up... was in the burger-bar at Liffey Valley at the weekend in prime view of the disabled spaces and witnessed the "usual" disgrace of people mis-using them.

What is it with these people ?

I watched one guy in a '04 Audi A6 waltz into a space, hop out of his car and leg it into the shopping centre without an apparent disabilities. No blue-sticker on his dash. Some guy in the '05 BMW 3 coupe came back to his car (didn't see if he had a blue sticker but he was obviously not disabled) and drive off - into that space went a big, white Transit van - the driver was with his young son (yeah, great role-model he is) and obviously felt silghtly guilty 'cos he looked around a bit after getting out. Him and his son then went into the centre for more than an hour.

In fact, we left the food place before either driver came back and walked to our car - I took a look at the cars parked in the disabled spots - only 4 out of, what, 12 ? had a blue-pass.

Driving over to the other entrance we passed the quieter car park (loads of spaces there) and past those disabled spaces. Some woman in a '04 Merc CLK was parked over two or three disabled spaces waiting for someone ! No blue badge on her dashboard.

I know there's not a lot to be done about it, but from the nonchalent manner of these folks, they're repeat offenders - only one of them (Mr. Transit) showed any sign of guiltiness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

He He He,

Hi Frank,

Remember the movie, I think it was Jim Carrey. Spots a red convertible, (not an MX or Stag though!) park in a disabled spot. And a young guy hops out and runs into a shop.
    So Carrey stands up on the boot lid and proceeds to piss into the drivers seat, when the young guy comes back out of the shop, helping along an old lady with a zimmer frame *LOL*. (memory a bit rusty on the exact details).....

BTW - Misuse of disabled or mother and child parking spaces, gets my back up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

some of those cars may have had disabled passengers perhaps. i've often parked in those spaces when i've had a friend of mine who uses a wheelchair in the car. i've no sticker but i feel i'm using the space for it's intended purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

prospect wrote:
    He He He,

Hi Frank,

Remember the movie, I think it was Jim Carrey. Spots a red convertible, (not an MX or Stag though!) park in a disabled spot. And a young guy hops out and runs into a shop.
    So Carrey stands up on the boot lid and proceeds to piss into the drivers seat, when the young guy comes back out of the shop, helping along an old lady with a zimmer frame *LOL*. (memory a bit rusty on the exact details).....

BTW - Misuse of disabled or mother and child parking spaces, gets my back up too.

That car was a Chrysler a it was man! When he came to see Carrey pissin in the car he yells "Get your cock out of my Chrysler" heheh

If if makes you feel any better I saw this supped up peugot 206 parked in a disabled spot. Then these 2 scumbags in the tracksuits and peaked caps came out to see their scanger mobile was in the process of being clamped. It was sooooo funny!! Everybody was going "NICE ONE"

some of those cars may have had disabled passengers perhaps. i've often parked in those spaces when i've had a friend of mine who uses a wheelchair in the car. i've no sticker but i feel i'm using the space for it's intended purpose

I have done the same in the past, but seemingly it is still not legal. No sticker, no parking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

There's only one thing that might stop this behaviour. When the person comes back out they find their car has been towed and impounded.
    That's what happens in States.
    Course, Ireland is a different kettle of fish......

Unless you have a permit, it is illegal to park in these places. Even if your mates leg is in plaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I thought if you were disabled that it was possible to get one of those stickers even if you didn't own a car yourself? That way, you just carry it with you and if you're in a car driven by someone else you just place it on the dashboard and take it away with you when you're done. My mother in law in the UK managed to get one on that basis anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

One of my mates walked up to some guy who'd just parked in the disabled spot at my local tesco and informed him that the disabled spots were for physically handicapped, not mentally handicapped people, and that he wasn't in fact entitled to use it... don't think the guy was too impressed, but he moved out from the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

kdevitt wrote:
    One of my mates walked up to some guy who'd just parked in the disabled spot at my local tesco and informed him that the disabled spots were for physically handicapped, not mentally handicapped people, and that he wasn't in fact entitled to use it... don't think the guy was too impressed, but he moved out from the spot.

haha nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

prospect wrote:
    He He He,

Hi Frank,

Me Myself and Irene if I remember right :)

Thats it, oh thanks indeed. That was so bugging me, i was about to post asking if anyone could remember the movie. :)

Ah the relief, its like an or-@$*,,,.... (*cough* emmm, forget about that bit)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Just a word of warning for those of you jumping to conclusions... My great uncle occasionally gets hassle for using Disabled parking spots, as he has no "apparent disabilities". He actually has a heart condition that means he can't walk long distances.

Having said that, no card and you shouldn't be parking in the spaces (in the example above though, do gooders assume the cards not for him :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Macy wrote:
    Just a word of warning for those of you jumping to conclusions... My great uncle occasionally gets hassle for using Disabled parking spots, as he has no "apparent disabilities". He actually has a heart condition that means he can't walk long distances.

I was going to post the same. My dad has a heart condition too, one time he came back to his car in Beaumout Hospital to find a large piece of paper with "You don't look handicapped to me you pri*k" written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Alun wrote:
    I thought if you were disabled that it was possible to get one of those stickers even if you didn't own a car yourself? That way, you just carry it with you and if you're in a car driven by someone else you just place it on the dashboard and take it away with you when you're done. My mother in law in the UK managed to get one on that basis anyway.

Yes it is possible to get one on that basis - the blue card is not tied into a particular vehicle. A relative of mine (not handicapped) has one for use when driving another relative who is unable to walk for more than a few yards. She does not use it when the relative is not in the car.

For some reason, people using the mother and child spots does not bother me nearly as much. I don't see a particular need to give someone a better spot because they have their sprog with them.

eoin_s wrote:
    For some reason, people using the mother and child spots does not bother me nearly as much. I don't see a particular need to give someone a better spot because they have their sprog with them.

Because they have their sprog with them???
    I thought the only difference was the spaces were twice the width, so they can abandon their big fat 4WD in them.... ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

prospect wrote:
    I thought the only difference was the spaces were twice the width, so they can abandon their big fat 4WD in them.... ;)
    LOL

I agree though. Why should people with kids get better spots? Mind you that's probably a business decision by a shopping center to encourage family shopping. Unlike handicapped spots which are required by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

prospect wrote:

I thought it was so their kids can fling open the car doors without hitting my car ;) unlike the rest of the spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Like Eoin_s, my gran had the blue card. Got it when she was in her 90s. No physical disabilities, but she didn't walk far and had poor eyesight.
    Don't think there is any reason why a person with a heart condition shouldn't be able to apply for a blue card either. Other relatives have had to retire early and have disability pension. If they're not fit enough to work, then perhaps they should also qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I proposed a very simple solution for these - vehicle has infrared or wireless transmitter on it, and each disabled spot has a large bollard on it. When the vehicle approaches, the bollard registers that it's present, and when the vehicle drives onto pressure pads, the bollard lowers. Anyone without the transmitter gets skewered if they try to sneak in.

seamus wrote:
    I proposed a very simple solution for these - vehicle has infrared or wireless transmitter on it, and each disabled spot has a large bollard on it. When the vehicle approaches, the bollard registers that it's present, and when the vehicle drives onto pressure pads, the bollard lowers. Anyone without the transmitter gets skewered if they try to sneak in.

I like the idea, but you would want to ensure the skewering involves permanently handicapping the driver - would bring a lovely sense of irony to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

eoin_s wrote:

Obviously you've no kids, Eoin. To be PC, they've started calling them Parent and Child places or Parking for People with Children. They're another American idea, designed for people with babies. Babies being kids who can't get out of the car themselves. Just makes it easier to haul the kid out of the car seat and into the buggy or shopping trolley. And they're really a good idea. It means I don't struggle not to scratch your car as I try to drag the little guy out of his seat with one hand and bang my fingers between cars with the other. But it's a sort of a free for all with them these days. (My 16 year old is with me, so I'll park here)

As for disabled parking spaces, it sickens me to see people "just stick it there for a minute" and take up a space that is obviously not for them. Happens all too often at my local shop. I never park in them, but I do believe there are far too many of them around. Does anyone know if there's a cretain number required by law (i.e. a ratio to regular spaces)? The aforementioned Liffey Valley is a prime example of overkill in this area. I've never seen all the spaces full, even with sticker-less cars parked there as well so there is definitely more than adequate provision. Blanchardstown S.C. seems to do a good job of enforcing the rules with cars clamped regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

a_ominous wrote:
    Don't think there is any reason why a person with a heart condition shouldn't be able to apply for a blue card either.
    They are - the problem is people assume there's nothing wrong with them as they can't see anything wrong with them, and think they've just borrowed the card, so decide to abuse them/leave notes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

a_ominous wrote:
    Like Eoin_s, my gran had the blue card. Got it when she was in her 90s. No physical disabilities, but she didn't walk far and had poor eyesight.
    Don't think there is any reason why a person with a heart condition shouldn't be able to apply for a blue card either. Other relatives have had to retire early and have disability pension. If they're not fit enough to work, then perhaps they should also qualify.

To throw a more complex spin on it: Florida in the good ol' USA has a huge geriatric population - that's old people to you and me, many of whom have the local equivalent of the blue disability card, they're old and frail etc, so they park in the disability slots, which is legit. But there is just too many of them, compared to the amount of dedicated spots, so there it's difficult to find a free disabled spot.

Now I happened to be there in March this year, staying with friends, one of whom, John, is wheelchair bound. He was the one who explained what the problem was - and the two of us saw it first hand, as we tried to get my glasses fixed (long story).

Let me tell you that is next to impossible to get out of a car and into a wheelchair in a standard parking space - you just can't open the door far enough to get the chair beside the seat so you can shift over into it. This is why disabled spots are important - not merely their location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i can safly say ive never seen a car with one of them blue stickers ever parked in spot designated for it . shame

DubTony wrote:
    Obviously you've no kids, Eoin. To be PC, they've started calling them Parent and Child places or Parking for People with Children. They're another American idea, designed for people with babies. Babies being kids who can't get out of the car themselves. Just makes it easier to haul the kid out of the car seat and into the buggy or shopping trolley. And they're really a good idea. It means I don't struggle not to scratch your car as I try to drag the little guy out of his seat with one hand and bang my fingers between cars with the other. But it's a sort of a free for all with them these days. (My 16 year old is with me, so I'll park here)

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good idea - especially for the soccer moms with their D4 Tractors (Range Rovers). I just wouldn't feel the least bit outraged or pìssed off if I saw someone without their offspring with them using the spot instead. And, you are correct - I am thankfully (for both me and the world in general) childless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Have to say the only time i have used a disabled spot was when the "shopping centre" (well the one in Rivervalley, Swords) was closed and i was using the pass machine which happened to be directly in front of the disabled spots..... :D

Would never ever use either of the disabled or mother and child spots if the shopping centre is open nor pulling up in front of one to drop someone off or pick something up! It fustrates me so much seeing able bodied / non mother (or father for that matter) and child people use them!

Seen a youngish lady in her BMW 320i the other day getting done my a Cop on a bike.........she was nearly crying......i was crying with laughter! So FUNKIN funny! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

eoin_s wrote:
    [RANT]
    But there is a need. With kids, toddlers, infants you need S P A C E to fully open the car door(s) so that you can lift them in (+ car(rier) seat if they're infants), and buckle them in.

I have a 3 year old and a 2 week old - now think of the logistics of me parking the car, getting out to go shopping, and then returning with the shopping and the kids. It's not easy:
    (Note to safety daemons: there is no front passenger airbag in the car)
    1) find a parking space
    2) unbuckle toddler (3 year old) and lift out, close his door bring him to front passenger door - reopen his door so he can't run off.
    3) open front passenger door and unbuckle baby seat
    4) hold toddler with my right hand and close back door with left hand
    5) lift baby seat out with left hand and place on ground (right hand on toddler remember)
    6) close passenger door and lock car with left hand
    7) pick up baby seat with left hand, hold toddler with right hand and go to the trolleys
    8) place baby seat in trolley - if I'm lucky the toddler will sit in trolley, if not then push trolley with one hand and hold toddler with other hand.
    9) < GO SHOPPING > (this is a whole other story) then return to car
    10) put trolley at back of car and lift baby seat out, hold toddler with right hand
    11) open front passenger door and put baby seat in
    12) open back passenger door and put toddler in - buckle him in - close door
    13) back to front passenger door, buckle in the baby seat
    14) hopefully the trolley hasn't rolled off - open car boot and put shopping in
    15) Oh dear, problem, I can't put the trolley back without leaving the kids, and I can't leave the trolley here.
    16) Go back to step 10 and put the shopping in the boot with one hand (one still on toddler) then return the trolley and walk back to car with kids and load them as per steps 11-13

Now that's all hard enough - but it's much worse and sometimes simply not possible at all when there are only small spaces between cars.

So think how I feel when someone inappropriately parks in the Parent and Child parking space - imho it's just as unacceptable as parking in the disabled spaces. Even if it's "just for a few minutes" - because in those few minutes I've had to move on, and then circle around the car park looking for an end of aisle space so that I have enough room to open the kids doors.
    [/RANT]

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Nothing irritates me more than when ignorant halfwits park indisabled spots when they don't have a blue card.

A very good mate of mine has severe MS and therefore walking for a long time is absolute torture for him. But still on a regular basis when he goes to work in the morning and goes to park in his designated (?) spot which was created for him the spot is taken and definatley not by a card holder. Such bad form.

Also, parent and child spaces, same deal but not nearly as bad for someone else to park inthem. Only because Parent Child spots are more for convience whereas disabled spots can be essential for severely ill people who rely on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Firstly, and most importantly, the rule is "No sticker no parking" disabled or not.

Secondly, to answer somone earlier who said there were "too many" spaces? Tell me your kidding right? And perhaps less would actually be needed if they werent missused tbh.

In liffey valley I had an incident happen for the SECOND time (see main story in my sig-link), and ended up getting so damned angry that I borrowed a friends lipstick and wrote on (big black jeep btw) "I am a prick for parking on the only ramp onto this path and making a wheelchair and a buggy come close to getting hit by a car!" ............. silly i know, but tbh, he/she was lucky I didnt do it with my house key I was so pissed!

Then, Later, as I leave, get this, ANOTHER huge ****ing jeep parked up on the path, again completely covering the ramp. I was livid!

*sigh*...
    But guys, take snaps on your mobile, send em to 087-7770037 and they will be placed on the website (below)!

;)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have you got a good barrister on retainer there? Have you had any solictors letters about the site? Do you leave a note on the offenders vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

causal wrote:
    [RANT]
    But there is a need. With kids, toddlers, infants you need S P A C E to fully open the car door(s) so that you can lift them in (+ car(rier) seat if they're infants), and buckle them in.

I have a 3 year old and a 2 week old - now think of the logistics of me parking the car, getting out to go shopping, and then returning with the shopping and the kids. It's not easy:
    (Note to safety daemons: there is no front passenger airbag in the car)
    1) find a parking space
    2) unbuckle toddler (3 year old) and lift out, close his door bring him to front passenger door - reopen his door so he can't run off.
    3) open front passenger door and unbuckle baby seat
    4) hold toddler with my right hand and close back door with left hand
    5) lift baby seat out with left hand and place on ground (right hand on toddler remember)
    6) close passenger door and lock car with left hand
    7) pick up baby seat with left hand, hold toddler with right hand and go to the trolleys
    8) place baby seat in trolley - if I'm lucky the toddler will sit in trolley, if not then push trolley with one hand and hold toddler with other hand.
    9) < GO SHOPPING > (this is a whole other story) then return to car
    10) put trolley at back of car and lift baby seat out, hold toddler with right hand
    11) open front passenger door and put baby seat in
    12) open back passenger door and put toddler in - buckle him in - close door
    13) back to front passenger door, buckle in the baby seat
    14) hopefully the trolley hasn't rolled off - open car boot and put shopping in
    15) Oh dear, problem, I can't put the trolley back without leaving the kids, and I can't leave the trolley here.
    16) Go back to step 10 and put the shopping in the boot with one hand (one still on toddler) then return the trolley and walk back to car with kids and load them as per steps 11-13

Now that's all hard enough - but it's much worse and sometimes simply not possible at all when there are only small spaces between cars.

So think how I feel when someone inappropriately parks in the Parent and Child parking space - imho it's just as unacceptable as parking in the disabled spaces. Even if it's "just for a few minutes" - because in those few minutes I've had to move on, and then circle around the car park looking for an end of aisle space so that I have enough room to open the kids doors.
    [/RANT]

causal

Hear the pain and think that the parent/children spaces are a good idea, but what baffles me is why do you often see both parents out shopping with their kids. Why don't they leave one parent at home to take care of children (for heaven sake bring em to the park/library/zoo/any where but the shopping center) and the other person go out and do the shopping hassle free? ...

Advertisement