Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sparkles in the air

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mr.Punch wrote:
    "Little things"? Kind of a vague interpretation all around.

It was a deliberate attempt at simplicifcation. I studied the function and components of the eye for both my Leaving Cert Biology (At a simplistic level), and at an advanced level for my Pilot's License.
    Mr.Punch wrote:
    Assuming it is an optical illusion, I wouldn't imagine it would travel behind my hand, and occupying an actual depth in space. If it were an optical illusion, it would affect all objects in my line of site, not choosing to ignore things based on distance.

Since when does an optical illusion conform to rules? The word illusion actually suggests that nothing is normal in your vision, and that the rulebook goes out the window.
    Mr.Punch wrote:
    Must be something else, I have non of those ailments, and I'm sure eye drops would have no effects. Nor do sunglasses. Sunglasses make it easier to see actually.

Now who's oversimplifying? If you understood the workings of the human body, rather than trying to attribute them to paranormal, or spiritual influences, you'd realise that different ailments manifest themselves differently with different people.
    Mr.Punch wrote:
    I'm all up for a rational explanation, but all of the provided prognosis attemp to steamroll the phenomenon with over simplified medical jargon.

I don't think you're for rational explanation at all. And it terrifies me that a thread like this exists where people can put off an optical issue as a spiritual matter, and not seek medical advice. I'm surprised the Mods haven't stepped in and advised people to see their GPs. Worst case scenario, someone posting on this thread who experiences the 'sparkles' (And I detest using that word) ends up with a serious optical defect for the rest of their lives as a result of not treating it. If you'd like to get into technical jargon, I'd be more than happy to oblige, using my knowledge of the eye as an organ, and if necessary my bro-in-law who's a Consultant, and who thought this thread was equally worrying when I sent him the link last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ned79 this forums is under the religion and spirituality category,
    not science and medical.

While you are entitled to give an explanation which is neither religious or spiritual the disparaging of the forum and people who post here will not be tolerated and you can be banned for it.

Yes you are right people posting here are not looking for a sciencific explaination they would have choosen a different forum if they wanted that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Thaedydal wrote:
    While you are entitled to give an explanation which is neither religious or spiritual the disparaging of the forum and people who post here will not be tolerated and you can be banned for it.

No one is disparaging, or belittling the Forum, and that's not my intention - I've read the Charter, and tried to stay within the bounds. All I've done so far is state facts. What's worrying me, and should worry most posters too, is that there are symptoms here of medical issues being passed off as pseudo-science (earth passing through Photon fields, etc).

I'm all for Spirituality, and think it has great mental benefits for those that practise it. Science isn't the be all and end all of everything, and to have a balanced life, you must have some description of a spirtual side that counters the humdrum and monotony of every day living, but I would genuinely ask that anyone here experiencing sparkles open their mind (Because this is after all what the Spirtuality forum is all about) to the possibility that not only could there be a medical reason (Which doesn't exclude the spiritual component) for the apparitions, but that it could also be indicative of something more serious.

Apologies if I have upset anyone.

[EDIT]My motivations for posting in this thread are personal, my Mother in her mid-60's is beginning the stages of a diagnosed degenerative visual disease, which is causing her to see similar apparitions. Thankfully, the version I see is usually generally due to fatigue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mr.Punch

All I've done so far is state facts.

What facts? Tell us what the phenomenon is, or don't try persuading us at all. I don't claim it is a paranormal phenomenon, but it is a strange one nonetheless.

It simply has no observable relationship to any ailment I do or do not have, and occurs due to my own concentration. I will it to happen, otherwise it doesn't happen at all.

I am not angered by your posts Ned. Its a much needed angle in such a discussion. But what is it then? I do get my eyes checked regulairly and everything is fine. I get physicals too. Its too easy to say it is simply "false reports". You are basically saying I'm seeing things, yet you have no explanation for it. Just empty medical jargon. I know of phosphene and other such phenomenon, but this is quite different. This has become more a battle of ideology rather than an actual diagnosis. The implications of either answer are greater than the direct issue itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Mr.Punch wrote:
    All I've done so far is state facts.

What facts? Tell us what the phenomenon is, or don't try persuading us at all. I don't claim it is a paranormal phenomenon, but it is a strange one nonetheless.

It simply has no observable relationship to any ailment I do or do not have, and occurs due to my own concentration. I will it to happen, otherwise it doesn't happen at all.

I know this is not a medical forum but, as you asked, have a look here and maybe seek medical advice:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ophthalmology-Optometry-979/Flashers-sparkles.htm#b

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/EyeCare/messages/809.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Quantum1

I've been able to see this all of my life and know another who see's the field but until seeing your posts have not ever found anyone else who perceives it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It sounds like some mild form of HPPD to me. I have a friend affected by this who sees "static" in front of his vision like you people have described(as well as other symptoms, but he has a bad case of it). If any of the posters describing these symptoms ever did psychedelic drugs like Magic Mushrooms or LSD in the past, that could serve as a possible explanation, though for them to be a cause it would probably have to be fairly frequent use. Although, as none of these posters are experiencing very intense symptoms, they could possibly have harmless cases of mild HPPD caused by infrequent psychedelic use, or even none at all:
    Wiki wrote:
    Although past use of of hallucinogenic drugs is often reported by people suffering from HPPD, there have been some reports of people who have developed HPPD like symptoms without having ever used hallucinogens

I'm pretty sure that isn't it JC 2K3 but thanks for the info just the same :)

If anyone else that see's this phenomenon wants to talk more about it or can teach me about it send me a pm please

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Can sometimes be astral thrash, especially if you've only recently started some types of psychic work.

Can sometimes be a few other astral phenomena.

Can sometimes be something harmless happening in your eyes.

Can sometimes be something harmful happening in your eyes.

I think all of the above happen, but only the latter one can make you have serious problems. Not a bad idea to get your eyes checked out.

• Advertisement

NigelK wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    Like Leetay I searched for this subject on the 'net, having first observed this phenomenom at least a year ago.

Checking them out again this morning I've got some observations:
    They move fast for their size.
    I don't think they could be errant cells due to their speed
    They don't move in perfectly staight lines, they seem to wobble or swerve
    They are very energetic
    They move independently of eye movement
    I haven't seen any collide
    They are NOT floaters
    For me they are best seen against a bright background ie the sky
    I most often see them whilst in bed looking out of the window, observations seem to be best when there is condensation inside the glass.
    Occasionally they flash, I wonder if this is a "front on" view.
    They are visible at between (I think) 6 to 12 feet away.
    There are lots of them
    Leetay's idea of superconductivity particles is interesting
    Perhaps they could be "the matrix" which conveys information remotely ie telepathicly or "plant conciousness.
    I'm also a "searcher".
    I saw a UFO video in which the movement of the UFO was similar to the "sparkes" which generally don't sparkle, they're just brighter than the background, however I've been unable to find it again.

This is my experience, if anyone else has anything to offer I'd be rapt!

Regards, NigelK

I've observed all that and would add

This field is everywhere and passes through all things except people and is equally strong no matter where you are.

If you focus on them they become far more active and if you move your hand through them they are displaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paulforel

This is a weird thing I've noticed occasionally over the last few years, but especially in the past six months, when I've been seeing it on a daily basis.

It seems to me like the air is milling with tiny sparkling particles (almost always white - very rarely other colours, especially blue). It's very difficult to describe what they're like, but they seem energised - they move occasionally in short curved or spiralling paths, although they mostly just flash in and out of my vision. I can see it most easily in the sky, but if my head's in the right place, for example right after I've woken up from a light sleep, I'll see it anywhere, with any background - the road, buildings, my desk. I can occasionally see it in the dark (not pitch dark, though) and when my eyes are closed.

I've seen the same thing myself, as you describe it- little spirals shooting off and on....in clusters. Saw them today against the blue sky, I've seen them before.

Nothing wrong with my vision.....I see auras, too, btw and have had some para experiences incl OBE...

Paul...

arrietty wrote: »

..the air is milling with tiny sparkling particles (almost always white - very rarely other colours, especially blue). ...they seem energised - they move occasionally in short curved or spiralling paths, although they mostly just flash in and out of my vision......Does anybody else see this? Any ideas what it might be?
    Hi, I've seen the same little spirals, myself. Today again, in the past, as well. No explanation. I see auras and have had a couple of OBE's plus some other para experiences.

Thanks,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hugh_

Quoted from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

Blue field entoptic phenomenon

The blue field entopic phenomenon or Scheerer's phenomenon is the appearance of tiny bright dots moving quickly along squiggly lines in the visual field, especially when looking into bright blue light (such as the sky). This is a normal effect that can be perceived by almost everybody. The dots are due to the white blood cells that move in the capillaries in front of the retina of the eye, near the macula.

Blue light (optimal wavelength: 430 nm) is well absorbed by the red blood cells that fill the capillaries. The eye "edits out" the shadow lines of the capillaries by dark adaptation of the photoreceptors lying beneath the capillaries. The white blood cells which are much rarer than the red ones and do not absorb the blue light well, create gaps in the blood column, and these gaps appear as bright dots. They won't appear at the very center of the visual field, because there are no blood vessels in the fovea. The effect is rather weak, and many people don't notice it at all. It is strongest when looking at a smooth blue surface.

In a technique known as blue field entoptoscopy, the effect is used to measure the blood flow in the retinal capillaries. The patient is alternatingly shown blue light and a computer generated picture of moving dots; by adjusting the speed and density of these dots, the patient tries to match the computer generated picture as well as possible to the perceived entoptic dots. This then allows calculation of the blood flow in the capillaries. This test is important in diseases such as diabetes which can cause retinopathy.

Scheerer's phenomenon should not be confused with "floaters" (muscae volitantes). Scheerer's phenomenon is distinguished by the appearance of multiple, identical-looking bright dots that follow each other rapidly along the same path. Floaters are variable in appearance; although they sometimes are dots, they often have the appearance of threads or shreds of crumpled cellophane. Floaters remain almost stationary or drift slowly and do not follow well-defined paths. They are due to debris floating in the vitreous humor of the eye. There are also several phosphenes that need to be distinguished from Scheerer's phenomenon.

Hugh_ wrote: »
    Quoted from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

Blue field entoptic phenomenon

The blue field entopic phenomenon or Scheerer's phenomenon is the appearance of tiny bright dots moving quickly along squiggly lines in the visual field, especially when looking into bright blue light (such as the sky). This is a normal effect that can be perceived by almost everybody. The dots are due to the white blood cells that move in the capillaries in front of the retina of the eye, near the macula.

Hugh, thanks for posting this, it is appreciated very much!

The description of how they look is very close to what I see. As I see them they are either semi-circles shooting in and out of sight, squigglies or even straight lines that go shooting in and out of my vision. The 'dots' are sometimes half arrows, not necessarily dots.

So I appreciate your suggestion since as I can see, everyone is speculating and [until this] no one seems to know; or better said, perhaps I've not known what to call it so I can research this.

The explanation provided is as good as any I suppose, being a layperson and not an opthamologist I would not know right from wrong here.

It would go a long way if someone were to provide a picture; is that too much to ask? I tried Google and Scientific American but nothing showed up.

Someone had told me it was 'quantum energy' but what do I know...

I kinda like your explanation better. I'd still like to see a picture or maybe an opportunity to draw out what I see and have someone confirm what I'm seeing is what is referred to Wikipedia.

Also, I see there is now a riff between those who want to attribute this to the paranormal and those want us to go see an eye doctor, LOL!

I think suggesting there must be a paranormal, metaphysical or supernatural explanation for this is premature since except for Hugh and Wikipedia, no one really knows either way. At least, not in the mainstream.

To make my point more clear- I have seen three times some kind of energy wall or 'shield' floating in front of three different person's body. It was in all three cases as wide as the person's torso and it extended from the top of their chest to their lower stomach.

Smoky dark grey in color, not solid and it was about three inches the first time I saw it, about four or so inches the second time and last year (I'm 58) I saw it floating in front of someone and it was a good eighteen inches!

All three times there was about an inch of space between this wall/shield and the person's torso.

And if that is not good enough, the last time I saw it the person had tear drop shaped sparks coming off her head, also.

The first two times was when I was 13 and I could not approach the adults but this last time I asked the girl if she even knew of what I could easily see, right immediately in front of me. She did not know what the heck I was talking about.

I had hoped she did, that would have helped to understand what that wall/shield is/what it is for.

Which is my point- I've been visited twice by either the same or two different ghosts while practicing seeing my aura in the mirror; I've been levitated and I've had three SOBE's.

I also have some Intuitive gifts that are off the chart.

Having spent more time seeing the aura since I started practicing last August and am now also seeing what I had been calling 'aura patches' but are apparently referred to as 'energy fields', floating over an animal or human (I see them most often in pictures which is where I do most of my aura practice work), I have come to decide that wall/energy shield is not supernatural, after all but is a property of our bodies for which I don't have an explanation. Nor in spite of the fact I've brought this up repeatedly on the 'net, no one has mentioned that they also have seen this. And why I've not seen it but three times in 58 years escapes me.

But as I said, I've come to think it is not paranormal or metaphysical or supernatural.

It exists but no one either knows of it or is willing to admit they've seen it, too.

So inasmuch as certain of you would like to suggest I visit my local psychiatrist and some of you will want to suggest this is a supernatural phenomenon, I'm not sure that is true.

To actively suggest an 'answer' need be one or the other simply because this is a 'spiritual' forum seems shortsighted and is certainly thinking that will doom enlightenment or learning.

Thanks,

Paul

Here's the closest visual representation I could find online to the phenomenon:

bluefieldentoptic.gif

In my own experience, I have noticed that the movement is directly related to my own heartbeat.

Relating this to the explanation on Wikipedia this makes sense, because it is the white blood cells moving through the capillaries in the retina of the eye.

When my heart beats, there is a speeding up of the dots, which is logically how it should be.

Unfortunately the picture gif shows rather continuous movement rather than quick/slow linked to each beat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 student30

:)

I'm just reading this and wanted to share my experience. I too see sparkles,WOW thought I was all alone!They can be swirling and all different colours, usually purple, not like the stars you see when dizzy or looking at bright lights more like glitter floating in the air and moving around. I see them in daytime and intensely in the dark. When this began I didn't know what it was, but always felt a wonderful calm and warm peaceful feeling. Now I have realised through meditation that these are angels, other people may refer to spirit guides or spirits or beings from other dimentions but for me I believe in angels.
    Now I see faces come through having developed this further. Just notice any feelings you may get, it really is an amazing experience and if you see sparkles imo it is your angels letting you know they are here. I see it above peoples heads, and can feel the atmosphere change also.
    Enjoy and the more you relax the more you will see.

Here's the closest visual representation I could find online to the phenomenon:

bluefieldentoptic.gif

Unfortunately the picture gif shows rather continuous movement rather than quick/slow linked to each beat.

Thanks for taking the time to put this up....but this is not what I see.

There is a 'tail' attached to the 'darts' I see and they do not have 'star' heads; they have 'half' pointers on them.

And as I said, these darts pop in and out of sight, not just swirl around.

Anyway, thanks, though, Hugh_

paulforel wrote: »

There is a 'tail' attached to the 'darts' I see and they do not have 'star' heads; they have 'half' pointers on them.

Yes, I see them the same way as you do too, with a tail and half pointers on them as well, and they dissappear out of sight after they quickly move after each heartbeat.

That's the white blood cells moving through the capillaries in the retina.

This was the closest representation picture that I could find online, unfortunately the person who made it probably did not have the drawing tools or time available to make them exactly like how they appear.

Yes, I see them the same way as you do too, with a tail and half pointers on them as well, and they dissappear out of sight after they quickly move after each heartbeat.

Well, okay. The only other thing to point out is that I occasionally see these darts all traveling in the same direction, sort of like a school of fish.

?

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alex00

paul forel you won't find any answers here

• Advertisement

Alex00 wrote: »

I have no idea what that means.

Hugh has at least said and described that he and I see the same thing so that is at least something.

You post neither adds nor detracts from what Hugh has said, Alex.

Alex00 wrote: »

I just realized- are you 'the' Alex with whom I've already been in contact by email a few times?

If so, I'm mostly following my nose and in fact I think it was you who referred me to the original post here several months ago.

Hugh thinks he has an answer- it is not what you told me this is but I'm not opposed to at least being polite and listening to what Hugh has to say.

Nor am I 'seeking answers here', Alex. I'm mostly just responding to what is being posted here about these little white jets by being a good listener.

This is not my priority- I've told you I spend most of my time experimenting with what I see of the aura.

How have you been, anyway? I wish you'd email me more often and let me know how you are doing.

No AP yet; almost but not quite. I'm working on it, though.

I wish I knew some short cuts, LOL...

Best,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ulsteryank

I've always seen this too! I always figured it was some trick played on my eyes trying to stare out into the sky or something, but never asked anyone else if it happens to them.

To make my point more clear- I have seen three times some kind of energy wall or 'shield' floating in front of three different person's body....

But as I said, I've come to think it is not paranormal or metaphysical or supernatural.

It exists but no one either knows of it or is willing to admit they've seen it, too.

Hi paulforel, I think what you may possibly have seen here is what's known as a "migraine aura". I experienced one when I was about 16, it came and went over about an hour period, and I haven't seen one ever again. It was colorful and sparkly and seemed to float several feet in front of me. I never experienced a headache with it, but some people do experience migraines with them.

There are videos about them on youtube, a search for "migraine aura":

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=migraine+aura&search_type=&aq=f

You can also search google images for some pictures that people have drawn of them:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=%22migraine+aura%22&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

there are many pages of images to see there...

Here's the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(symptom)

and the entry for "scintillating scotoma", the most common type of visual aura:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

I hope this helps. Take care.

Hugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amigodex

What you see is called "prana", it's energy, well kind of. Pranayama is a yoga technique for breathing this "prana" and energize your self with it.
    Since I learned the concept of prana I've always associated with Star Wars's midi-chlorians and the force as if this prana would be the stuff from which the universe is made. I dunno it's such a comparison. But you can find lots of info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prana
    Bye!
    pranayama1.jpg

Something to do with dust on the eyes then

• Registered Users Posts: 8 C_Scan

amigodex wrote: »
    What you see is called "prana", it's energy

Yes, what you are seeing is air prana. Sometimes called 'vitality globules'.

If you observe them on a bright sunny fresh day, compared to a cloudy dull day, you will notice a big difference in activity and brightness.

This 'energy' is absorbed by our body. This is another reason why people can feel 'low energy' on dull days and 'high energy' on bright crisp days.

The healing modality 'Pranic Healing' teaches fantastic techniques to utilize the Prana which you see in the air to maintain good health and to recharge the body to heal faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mb3

hello, never used this forum or this type of forum before just came across it when i was checking the internet to see if i was going a bit loopy!!!

i fell asleep on my couch earlier and when i woke up i was just being lazy for a bit and looking out of the window. i seen what i can only describe as tiny shiny white movements in the air...not the air around me, just in the air outside (through the window). if i tried to focus my eyes on one of them it would just disapear but when i just stared at the sky i could see them very clearly. they moved randomly like snowflakes in the wind, but very fast!
    i have never seen anything like it before and it made me feel like i was seeing things! i probably would have thought that i was seeing things, or was something to do with my eyes, if it wasnt for the fact that i could only see these things outside through the window...not in my immediate space! they were quite clearly in the air outside......can anyone elaborate or am i a bit mad:(

Advertisement