Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Sligo Tourism ads on the buses

• 08-06-2005 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

This may sound a bit dense - I don't know if I'm the only one that doesn't get this - but there's been a few ads for 'Visit Sligo!' going round on the sides of Dublin Buses lately. It's got the usual - montage of scenic views, young lad playing the fiddle, earnest exhortations to visit the place - and then, on the left, a lone unxplained phrase - 'Six and the City'.

Eh?

What the hell does 'Six and the City' mean? Is it a Sligo thing? Is it cos Carrie Bradshaw advertised her Sex and the City column on buses? Why 'Six'? What the hell? Am I mad Ted?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No, youre not mad. i just presumed it was something to do with culchie inbreeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Bambi wrote:
    No, youre not mad. i just presumed it was something to do with culchie inbreeding

Au contraire, it was designed to confuse Jackeens - I'm glad to hear it's working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

You'll just have to go to Sligo to find out won't you!

egan007 wrote:
    Au contraire, it was designed to confuse Jackeens - I'm glad to hear it's working

But its not actually confusing. Oh the twisted ingenuity of spud gobblers. :rolleyes:

Go to sligo? im not sure the place even exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Djddd1

That is the thickest thing I'v heard all year.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote:
    Go to sligo? im not sure the place even exists.

Indeed I’m not surprised - you clearly demonstrate the average educational level of a typical west Brit. Clearly geography is not a strong point.

Djddd1 wrote:
    That is the thickest thing I'v heard all year.

Perhaps a weekend in sligo could change that? :p

Its not geography we'd need to identify the county that time forgot, Its history :D

Stop the press!! the lad i work with mentioned travelling through Sligo on the phone just now!! we have independant corroboration!! I'm gonna ask him for a lend of his tardis to check it out

Bambi wrote:

Its not geography we'd need to identify the county that time forgot, Its history :D

I doubt History would be a strong point either.

but would history truly help or would we have to rely on archaeology?

has anything of of historical import occured in this alleged county? The leaving cert made no mention of the place. dubleuubee yeats was mixed up in it once I'm told but he was always on about faeires and magic and stuff that doesnt actually exist.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Djddd1

Bambi wrote:
    Perhaps a weekend in sligo could change that? :p

I think I'll pass on that one! :)

Bambi wrote:
    but would history truly help or would we have to rely on archaeology?

has anything of of historical import occured in this alleged county? The leaving cert made no mention of the place. dubleuubee yeats was mixed up in it once I'm told but he was always on about faeires and magic and stuff that doesnt actually exist.. :confused:

Why am I even trying to explain anything to a Dub anyway.

True. You should know your place by now :p

Bambi wrote:
    True. You should know your place by now :p
    :rolleyes:
    Heres a secret: The reason the likes of sligo is great is because the lke of you never goes there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

*none the wiser*

sigh...

Maybe if I run into one of Westlife I'll ask them about it. Til then, I suppose I'll just never know...

Advertisement