Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Broadband

Options
  • 08-06-2005 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

So while waiting for Smart Telecoms Service, i enquired as to whether switching over to their phone service in the mean time will speed up the process when my exchange is live. They told me via phone that yes this would speed it up.

Thats all good. Go ahead. Change over to smart. Eircom bill me 100 and something euros for a week and a half of their service, inculding calls. Which isnt the issue.

I have now been informed by someone from smart that if i have their phone service, Eircom wont process my broadband with them.

Is this true? Why? How can a company get away with this? Can anything be done?

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Why not just switch back to Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Because there is no way im going paying them a cent ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yeah, I'm with you. My opinion and experience of EirCoN is unprintable :(

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Shougeki wrote:
    I have now been informed by someone from smart that if i have their phone service, Eircom wont process my broadband with them.

This is true. You cannot have another service such as CPS running on the line if you are to be switched over. It's a lame ass policy that needs to be changed. Whoever told you in Smart that it would speed up the order were clueless. It will actually slow it down.

If you feel hard done by then email consumerline@comreg.ie and make a complaint. The Smart sales people should not be saying this at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

damien.m wrote:
    Whoever told you in Smart that it would speed up the order were clueless. It will actually slow it down.
    Correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

And make sure you complain to Smart for such ludicrous advice

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Will this situation be cleared up in the current court case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Not directly but if ComReg win or the matter is settled out of Court then ComReg will be allowed to impose obligations on eircom. I would think though that there'll be the the Communications Appeals Panel that Dempsey must set up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

damien.m wrote:
    Not directly but if ComReg win or the matter is settled out of Court then ComReg will be allowed to impose obligations on eircom. I would think though that there'll be the the Communications Appeals Panel that Dempsey must set up.

Can you point me in the right direction of a place which has updates regarding this case? Id like to see how its going..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 feliwilli

The best thing to do is to get your broadband from a carrier that DOES NOT use a telephone line as a data carrier. The two best for this is NTL and Irish Broadband. NTL comes through the television cables, and Irish broadband are wireless. NTL have a good offer of 1mb broadband with 30gig downloads a month for €35 a month

• Advertisement
Advertisement