Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - The aftermath.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I did well, wrote a rubbsh essay though. I wish I made a plan out for every question at the start because by the time I got to the poetry question I just got a big blank on Yeats, even though I had been studying him all year and should`ve been well prepared. So i wrote on Dikinson instead, but forgot alot of detail for "A slant of light"
    it was
    ok granted it might have upset those kids in navan and my heart goes out to them
    but i reckon its jus the parents council kickin up a fuss like they always do
    i really do sympathise with the kids and my heart goes out to them but isnt it blown outta proportion?

No man it should`nt have been on the paper. They tell us that there are other papers at the ready if there is a leak of the origional paper. Why not do this? A girl was killed from Junior Cert that tragic day, imagine if you were a Junior Cert in Loreto, Navan and you saw that come up? Its hard enough as it is, I`d be shocked if that came up in the leaving.

I go to St Pats Classical School, Navan by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Why should there be uproar about an essay about travelling on a school bus yet absolutely no problem with essays about war and conflict? Tell me that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

it was
    ok granted it might have upset those kids in navan and my heart goes out to them

well then thats the point, isn' it? Sorry but i really think it was an awful mistake. Especially knowing they could have changed it. I think this was very disrespectful and apology should be made.

Why should there be uproar about an essay about travelling on a school bus yet absolutely no problem with essays about war and conflict? Tell me that.

I understand where your coming from, there are 100s od victoms of war everday.

However this accident was closer to home and its only natural that something like that could hurt people more than war. Remember the accident only happend over 2 weeks ago.

Put yourself in a 15 year olds shoes who has just lost one of their friends in a school bus crash. What would your state of mind be going into an exam?

well then thats the point, isn' it? Sorry but i really think it was an awful mistake. Especially knowing they could have changed it. I think this was very disrespectful and apology should be made.

spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

You all shouldn't be so concerned about how many pages your essay was. A 2.5 - 3.5 page essay is an ideal length. Quality rather than quantity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 charmedmad

Paper 2 was just perfect. I didn't do A quality but a high C or B is in store for me hopefully.

ONLY studied dickinson beforehand, and BOOM! She came up, worked backwards on paper 2, seen poetry, then unseen, comparative then hamlet. All worked out well, let myself down on hamlet but overall im pretty happy with how I did.

Paper 1 was ... well, paper 1. I did text 2 section A, text 3 section B and i did essay 7 (a) and used picture 3.

Overall today wasnt bad.
    This is exactly the same way I reacted to the test, Great minds think alike, I couldnt of asked for a better paper, The hamlet question let you basicly pick the question, I was dreading this test but i had nothing to worry about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

chump wrote:
    You all shouldn't be so concerned about how many pages your essay was. A 2.5 - 3.5 page essay is an ideal length. Quality rather than quantity...

2.5 pages wouldn't be sufficient.
    Personally I think they're making a big deal about the bus question. But they probably should've used another paper just to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'm afraid you're wrong Con. Well unless things have changed since my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

righteo

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I thought both papers went really well for me. I thought the choices for the comprehension on paper 1 kinda sucked, there was no way I was going to write about wanting to interview a stupid celebrity, I had great fun ripping apart text 3 in my part A tough (Do you like this style of writing? NO!! I just got into a big rant about how crap and badly written it was) I thought the essay titles gave us a nice choice as well.
    Paper 2 was lovely, in my opinion - I was so happy to see that Dickinson question, as I had all my quotations perfect for it. The comparative was predictable and quite straightforward, the Hamlet questions were a bit strange but doable. Overall, I was very happy with how English went for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

i thought the paper was kinda easy, so they'll prob mark it hard. comp choice imo was good, i wrote about 4+1/2 pages on the other peoples expectations, was pretty good aswell. dickinson came up, a total relief, knew her like the back of my hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Fishie wrote:
    I thought both papers went really well for me. I thought the choices for the comprehension on paper 1 kinda sucked, there was no way I was going to write about wanting to interview a stupid celebrity, I had great fun ripping apart text 3 in my part A tough (Do you like this style of writing? NO!! I just got into a big rant about how crap and badly written it was) I thought the essay titles gave us a nice choice as well.
    Paper 2 was lovely, in my opinion - I was so happy to see that Dickinson question, as I had all my quotations perfect for it. The comparative was predictable and quite straightforward, the Hamlet questions were a bit strange but doable. Overall, I was very happy with how English went for me!

just curious how u criticised the writing? i didn't think it was great at all either, but felt it was easier to support than criticise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

indeed t'wood want to be a solid arguement.. not a great idea sometimes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IrL3

What I don't get is why people say "oh I wrote 6 pages for my essay."
    My essay was less just over 3 pages, but it had nearly 1000 words. A friend wrote over 6 pages, but they write about 6 words per line, so I probably wrote more than him. What's your average words per line? That's what you go by, not how many pages you wrote.
    In the Ed-Co exam papers it says the average for an essay is 750-1000 words. But I completely agree with chump, its quality rather than quantity.

Anyways I don't know how I did in Paper Two, I think Paper One was fine, I wrote my first ever non-short story, so hopefully that went well...
    But I was not prepared for the comparison and I really don't think I did well in that, and the Hamlet question, although easy, knocked me back a bit, and I didn't do as well as I know I could.
    But it's in the past now, roll on next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭captain_frances

Not too bad. I was a bit stuck for time, and I'm sure everyone's hand was cramping up. Anyone know what that diary entry to the meat market was about? Poxy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Anyone know what that diary entry to the meat market was about? Poxy!

That's the one I did ...

Advertisement