Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP help needed :(

Options
  • 08-06-2005 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hi all, i have a website, im quite proud of it aswell, but, the guestbook is one of those free yokes you get with Bravenet and the banned is doing my head in :mad: :p

So, i looked for a free guestbook script and found a php one.
    now i installed it and it keeps coming up "open" or "save" as if it is a file download but its not :mad:

Can anyone tell me how to stop this from coming up or wat to do to allow people just to read it

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sounds like php isn't enabled by your host

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dossingdave

it is, it says so

any other ideas?

and im using apache off of my computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

create a file called test.php and put the following in it:
    <?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

if that doesn't work then most likely php is not setup correctly, get onto your hosting support to see what is required (they may require a specific #!/usr/local/bin/php entry at the top or whatever the path is)

im using apache though, ther is no hosting support lol

Thanks for this ppl, any other ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You mean you have apache installed on your own pc but you're using a different hosting company?

You could install php onto your pc to allow you to use the guestbook but that would only work on your pc on your local server, it wouldn't let you put it on the website if it's gone live on the internet on the hosting company's server...

PHP and apache are seperate, php is something you can install on an apache server to allow the server to read php scripts and turn them into html pages

If you're with a free company it's quite unlikely you're going to be able to use php and if it's a php guestbook it probably needs MySQL installed aswell so you'd have to create a database and it's unusual to get a hosting company who'll give you databases for free

Best bets is to Google around for a free guestbook script and look for a CGI one (ask your hosting company do they support CGI scripts)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

K.

Let's get back to basics here. You have a website.

Is it:
    a) On a computer that you own, connected to the internet via a line you own?
    or
    b) On a computer that you do not own, provided by a hosting company (e.g. Bravenet).

The apache is installed on my computer thats connected to the net

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right.

Go here:
    www.php.net
    and download the latest version. Follow the install instructions for Apache, to the letter.

Advertisement