Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slight Problem

Options
  • 08-06-2005 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

My insurance expires on the 11th of this month(sat) but i'm going to killarney for 2 days tomorrow and i won't be driving home till sat. The problem is i don't have my new insurance disc and if i don't get it tomorrow then i'll be driving home with an out of date disc.

Actually, that brings me to another question, if my insurance expires on the 11th, will i be covered on the 11th or will i only be covered until midnight on the 10th? i wasn't sure when i was renewing it so i got my new policy to start on the 11th just in case.

I'm kind of waffling so i'll get to the point, what happens IF my disc doesn't arrive and i get stopped, will a garda be understanding if i show him/her my documents for my new policy to show that i AM actually insured?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

bonzai bob wrote:
    My insurance expires on the 11th of this month(sat) but i'm going to killarney for 2 days tomorrow and i won't be driving home till sat. The problem is i don't have my new insurance disc and if i don't get it tomorrow then i'll be driving home with an out of date disc.

Actually, that brings me to another question, if my insurance expires on the 11th, will i be covered on the 11th or will i only be covered until midnight on the 10th? i wasn't sure when i was renewing it so i got my new policy to start on the 11th just in case.

I'm kind of waffling so i'll get to the point, what happens IF my disc doesn't arrive and i get stopped, will a garda be understanding if i show him/her my documents for my new policy to show that i AM actually insured?

I 'THINK' you get 7 days grace on your policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

really? why do you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Contact your insurance company asap. Ask them to (re)send the disc immediately.

Your insurance documents (not the disc) should state the insured period, down to the minute.

If you have docs that say you are insured for the forthcoming year then carry these with you. I suggest phoning a Garda station to ask their advice wrt what they'll accept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

bonzai bob wrote:
    The disc is just a representation of your insurance. Any reasonable garda will understand your situation, and even an unreasonable garda wouldn't be stupid enough to bring a case without checking on the details and finding that you are in fact insured. That's assuming you are in fact insured of course.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

bonzai bob wrote:

i drove for two month without a disc (i was insurced, f**k at the insurane company) and never had a problem... as long as you are really insured and can produce you disc at a garda station you will be fine...

as for the expiry time ,that will be on your insurance policy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Tell the Guards the disc is in the post, works on my dad's car, but it's a company car so the disc is sent to the fleet managers than out to us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

cool and the gang. thanks for the replies.

Advertisement