Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knocking noise on civic

Options
  • 08-06-2005 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Having a bit of a problem with my Civic 94 Lsi.
    Im thinking its rear CV joints/bushings or (hopefully not) a driveshaft problem.
    It seems to happen only when pulling off, especially when accelerating to 30-35/changing from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Once the speed is up I dont hear it,just rarely,sometimes on deacceleration. The harder I push it, either going up or down the revs, the more noticeable it is.

Its sort of like a knocking noise coming from the rear of the car, not sure if its sided or not. It also happens when I drive over speed bumps and that. Its like something isnt sitting properly and knocking off something else.
    Great description eh? :D
    It seems to be getting slightly worse over time and can be quite annoying (mainly cos I dont know what it is though).
    I know theres not a lot can be diagnosed just through a board without someone actually hearing the noise,but I cant afford to bring it in and get charged just for a mechanic to test drive it and possibly not even hear the noise (doesnt happen 100% of the time,but an awful lot).

Cheers for any help....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

have you checked the exhaust is well secured and not knocking off the under carriage, an easy one to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Hmm, good idea, cheers for that, I'll check that when I get outta work.
    Doubt it is tho, I only put a new one on there about 3 months ago. Could be the rubber holding it to the chassis tho.
    Any more ideas lads?

Its more of a louder deeper noise tho, exhausts tend to rattle rather than *knock* if ya get me. Worth a check no doubt tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hi AB03,

That generation of civic's were prone to getting their wheel bearing knocked out particularily on the passenger side (more potholes). Had a 94 ESi years ago and the symptoms sound similar, do you also get the knocking turning around bends?

What's the milage on the car? I have the problem at 51k miles, but was replaced under warranty (at the time).

I should add you may be able to test this by jacking up back of the car and seeing how much "play" is on the wheel with the (i.e. left or right movement). Not a mechanic, but I seen them do this.

Hmm, its got 95k on it and it got robbed on me about 4 months ago. The ****ers handbraked it into a path on the rear left hand side, which resulted in the subframe being slightly torn and bent, and the l/h/r wheel permanantly (well,til I get it fixed) being slightly at a skewed angle.
    This may well have had somthing to do with my wheel bearing being knocked out of place.
    It does happen when turning aswell come to think of it....
    Hmm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

AB03 wrote:
    ...handbraked it into a path on the rear left hand side, which resulted in the subframe being slightly torn and bent, and the l/h/r wheel permanantly (well,til I get it fixed) being slightly at a skewed angle.
    This may well have had somthing to do with my wheel bearing being knocked out of place.

Ahhh, there you have it, sounds very much like a bearing and I would bet that smacking the rear axle into a kerb certainly would have put in under significant strain. Replacing the bearings while not difficult can be time consuming, do you know a friendly mechanic or you could do it yourself.

I know a few mechanics alright, I'll give em a bell. Prefer to know what it is before I have anyone look at it so I have an idea of cost
    Nice one for all this btw....

Advertisement