Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new games studio - looking for 3D artirsts

• 30-01-2001 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

New studio currently being set up in city centre - looking for 3D/2D artists - must be an artist first (like a portfolio), then a computer artist

interested....drop me a line for more info

HJ
    Homerjayz@hotmail.com

HomerJay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Soz to bring this up in ir topic, but tiz related smile.gif
    Can any1 tell me why its of any relevance to be able to draw to go for a job which ur otherwise perfectly quilfyed for?

I see this alot, "need Freehand Experance" I still fail to see why frown.gif

Clan Acid
    Clan Bio
    HavokLogo2.jpg

[This message has been edited by havok* (edited 31-01-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Ive found from working with people in 3d wether it be games or multimedia projects that people that have an sound art base tend to be ALOT more valuable to the team. They are better able to express themselves visually without loads of work being put in and therefore get ideas across easier and more efficiently. It adds to the coherency of the team. I also find that textures sometimes have an element of drawing skills involved do you niot think???

http://run.to/pile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Most games companies look to their artists to inspire them, for graphics and realisation of concepts. Artists tend to have a dual role I think - doing the 3d artwork and drawing out how it might look before they start. 3d modelers have a tough job - theres a whole load of skills you've got to have. But be persistant, and have a portfolio of games stuff already done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

"wrighting" - Tell me you were making ships, or I'll have to find your last post extremely amusing smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 31-01-2001).]

heh
    ye I cant spell to save my life, good thing MS works has spell checker smile.gif

[This message has been edited by havok* (edited 31-01-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 HomerJay

Interesting discussion………who needs artists anyway now that Max4 is just out !

Yes, I have seen really good work from guys who could not draw to save their life. However it is the exception to the rule. In most cases, it is very obvious when somebody is creating computer graphics without an artist background (or training) – they are using every plug-in/filter under the sun – their work looks ok, it just looks like everyone else’s.

The reason I stresses a portfolio in my post is that the person I am looking for will be joining the team at the design stage when a lot of storyboards/designs will be need drawn.

As other posts have said, it is helpful for certain CG positions to be able to draw – for others however, it is absolutely essential.

HJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Something do to with the whole "artist" thing isn't it?

well, see i done diff artistic stuff b4 getting into graphical art, like music for 9 years, then went to wrighting, then to computer graphics.

From working in this area now along side ppl who've gone the normal route, my still work is on par with the ppl who have done 4 year degree's @ NCAD and animation work is above that.

I can see your point FB, but i still think its unfair to be stubbed right from the start, even tho I have expeirance in that area. Simpley because i cant draw

Advertisement