Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterstones Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Waterstones eats my bank balance. Along with tesco and benson and hedges :)

Their "special offers" are cynical. I still can't stop myself leaving there without 5 or 6 books though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Fairly clichéd selection there for fathers. But anyway.

Waterstone's as a shop annoys me. They're not very well-stocked or organised, in Cork at least. I was looking for philosophy books there once and they were on the shelves marked Psychology. ? They both start with P so they're the same thing? :eek:

OK - mini-rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed, it's hard to walk past their 3 for 2 offers

I was in there today looking for a specific book for someone. Couldn't find it, so I asked. It was located somewhere else entirely. Heaven help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

simu wrote:
    in Cork at least
    In Dublin (Dawson St), they are fairly organised. They'd want to be, as H&F are directly opposite them, and Easons down the road.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    In Dublin (Dawson St), they are fairly organised. They'd want to be, as H&F are directly opposite them, and Easons down the road.

Yeah, see they've no real competition in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

simu wrote:
    Yeah, see they've no real competition in Cork.

That's the problem for a lot of things in Cork.

I get most of my books from amazon anyways. I only go into Waterstones when I was to relive perusing bookshelves (some of my best childhood memories are of being left in "The Killarney Bookshop" for an hour or two :)).

Although I find Vibes and Scribes more dangerous for impulse shopping. I find it hard to walk out of there without buying something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In (Cork) Read's you might get one of the best sellers alot cheaper, but their selection is woeful.
    Easons also do a 3/2 at the moment. Only a small choice overlap between them and Waterstones and picked up quite an interesting trio of books there.

nesf wrote:
    Although I find Vibes and Scribes more dangerous for impulse shopping. I find it hard to walk out of there without buying something.

Yes - true! But it's a very pleasant place to hang around in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

aye the waterstones 3 for 2s are fairly funky. usually a good mix and lots of new titles which is rare in other places. altho props to easons for a good popular fiction 3 for 2 as a lot of the books are special-prices as well as the 3 for 2, unlike waterstones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

simu wrote:
    I was looking for philosophy books there once and they were on the shelves marked Psychology. ? They both start with P so they're the same thing? :eek:

Ha, that's nothing. A friend of mine was chatting to a girl in night club once and the conversation went like this.

GIRL: So what do you do?
    FRIEND: I'm studying philosophy.
    GIRL: What a coincidence. I'm psychic.

But to keep things on topic, Waterstones is not as good as Hodges Figgis but the Dawson street branch has become far more pleasant, and better stocked, in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

the_syco wrote:

emm...H&F and Waterstones are owned by the same company. It also owns HMV....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

never knew that.Has it always bn that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Tristram wrote:
    never knew that.Has it always bn that way?

TBH i don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

i agree with earthhorse, i much prefer h&f. they reduce individual books, while waterstones do their 3 for 2 things on pulp fiction.

Hardly counting as literature, but all Dan Brown books are half-price in Waterstones for this week

Advertisement