Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with batch files

Options
  • 08-06-2005 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hey
    i'm trying to write a batch file that will run some application files, since i'm only starting to use batch files i dont know where to start! i need to get around the fact that majority of them you have to click next, and click the "dont restart" button, which would defeat the whole purpose of doing a batch file in the first place!
    any idea's would probably help!
    cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not a very clever way to fo it but maybe you can use a little program like ClickOff to automatically 'click on' the "next" and "don't restart" buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

what other ways could this be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

what other ways could this be done!

The applications must allow command line arguments for this to work, check the applications help as these will be different arguments for each application.

well its a Windows 2000 and XP patch if that helps!
    i wrote a small batch file to run it and that worked but then i get to the next bit and i stumped....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

sounds like you want to doa bunch of Silent Installs
    a lot of windows programs will allow you to run them from the command line with a silent install option as long as you point it to a config file of some sort.
    Its useful for installing stuff onto a bunch of computers on a network for example.
    Investigate the readme's etc for the apps you are trying to install.

• Advertisement

cheers for that!
    i'll give it a look over and see what i can come up with!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well its a Windows 2000 and XP patch if that helps!
    i wrote a small batch file to run it and that worked but then i get to the next bit and i stumped....

have a look at psexec and psinfo (pstools on www.sysinternals.com)
    psinfo -h lists hotfixes

each patch should have a -u or -q option to do an quiet or unattended install.
    If you have a windows 2000/2003 server and broadband just setup a SUS server for the windows patches. Ok it won't do office.

Have a search on the windows and computer forums too.

Advertisement