Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows 98SE / Windows ME

• 08-06-2005 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

am looking for the above for a pretty old machine...believe me it would smoke at the notion of Win2k

have thread in the Wanted Discs forum also: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2875425

thanks guys,

ps. sorry dahamsta if this is slightly off norm but if anyone can help its this forum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

ME needs over 400mhz, it will put up an error, if you try to install it on a slower pc!

install linux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Linux is a good choice, if you're not adverse to tinkering. It'll run on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

mukki wrote:
    ME needs over 400mhz, it will put up an error, if you try to install it on a slower pc!

install linux

What pc are you installing on :S needs 99mhz! sure 2000 only needs 133mhz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

its a 233 MMX 'thing' is the best way to describe it.

if it were for me i'd put linux on it but the folks are using it at home, I use my own machine.

Broadband is coming and am setting up a wireless network, you need at least 98SE for wireless to work...hence my problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Don't use Windows ME; it's horrible. Win98 isn't TOO bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

If it had 98 before, put ME on it.....it finds more drivers....and u don't have to go hunting for them......ME is 98 with a few more bells and whistles.

I find it works fine....so long as u put a decent firewall and antivirus on it and the PC has at least 64 mb Ram....Processor 133mhz and above

thats the plan alright...have a lead on a copy so hopefully will be sorted by the weekend! fingers crossed anyway

and here's me thinking that 98/ME was consigned to the history books

Thanks!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

odie wrote:
    If it had 98 before, put ME on it.....it finds more drivers....and u don't have to go hunting for them......ME is 98 with a few more bells and whistles.
    Unless you absolutely need certain ME features or it's the only license you can get, use 98 instead.

And don't forget you can't transfer an OEM copy of windows - yes Micro$oft Licen$e$ $uck.

Again if it is a brand name PC like Dell/compaq/packard bell then chances are it was sold with OEM windows - ring them up with the serial number to see what shipped with it originally.

If it has an NT4 cert on the side then AFAIK you can't downgrade to 95 or 98 even though NT4 would have cost twice as much at the time. If anyone has a link on the microsoft site to suggest otherwise I really would like to see it.

If you are a full time student or have one in the house then you might be entitled to academic pricing but TBH if the pc is that old you might be better buying a secondhand one with a windows license !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I agree, dont touch Windows ME, go for Win98 Second edition,
    you can get the unofficial service pack for Win98 here;
    http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

It addresses some of the shortcomings of Win98 and gives it a W2K "feel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

avoid ME like the plague - i've just upgraded to XP as ME was so troublesome :mad: !

• Advertisement

mukki wrote:
    Not quite. The box states a 150MHz Pentium with 32MB RAM but there's an undocumented switch that will allow it to install on a 486DX2/66 with 16MB RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

dont bother with ME. It leaks so much feckin memory, it self-destructs!

98SE is an oldie and a goodie. Quick 'n' dirty and an overall more dependable experience than ME

think you're right! ended up sorting out win98 and works a charm old but good

Advertisement