Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - Audio Cable

Options
  • 08-06-2005 2:51pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Doing a new build and was wondering what type of audio cable I would lay in the house?
    We have a Sony DAV S300 home entertainment system and the little satellite speakers.

People say put cable in the wall but I was wondering if I should buy separte audio cable, have a wall plate and then connect the speaker to these.

Now I am stumped as the setup, are there cables long enough to get around a room, are there universal wall plates that I can connect the exisitn speakers into or am I wasting my time altogether!!!

I would like to run the cable to maybe the kitchen & dining room, can this be done as in can you get cable long enough and how would you connect in your hifi system to this??

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

yop wrote:
    Lads

Doing a new build and was wondering what type of audio cable I would lay in the house?
    We have a Sony DAV S300 home entertainment system and the little satellite speakers.

People say put cable in the wall but I was wondering if I should buy separte audio cable, have a wall plate and then connect the speaker to these.

Now I am stumped as the setup, are there cables long enough to get around a room, are there universal wall plates that I can connect the exisitn speakers into or am I wasting my time altogether!!!

I would like to run the cable to maybe the kitchen & dining room, can this be done as in can you get cable long enough and how would you connect in your hifi system to this??

Many thanks in advance

If you can spare the time and effort then you can do a real neat job. You can buy speaker cable by the 100m roll, make sure it's Oxygen free (OFC). Don't pay silly money, somewhere around 50c a meter is absolutely plenty (and don't let an audio junkie tell you otherwise!).

As for outlets, most audio equipment uses bare wire bindings so I used binding posts, however banana plugs and clips are other options depending on your kit. See here: http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/16diy/16F.html

However, if you have an 'out of the box' system bought from curries then you most certainly are wasting your time!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

'out of the box' system

What do u mean here, is it that if I have a home cinema then I am wasting my time really in trying to put in cable?

Advertisement