Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic old skool Alten8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Are you sure you don't mean Altern-8? With songs called Active-8 and Evapor-8 I think... all around 1993, and also being the fore runner of Hardcore as it was meant to be... Just like Technotrance, The Binman, Sci, UltrasSonic... ah, the memories... kids today think they know dance music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭v-deniso

Thats the way it should have looked alright!

They played about 2.5 year back in the TBMC I remember, but that was the first I had heard of them since 1993.

There is a real media file on the link below but thats it

http://www.backtotheoldskool.co.uk/altern-8.htm

Speaking of ultrasonic...do you know where to source any of that?...."Is there anybody out there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

i have full on mask hysteria in realmedia format form that i got years ago, I have it in mp3 too but i think it was just converted from the .ram files. My tape copy of it was lost in the mists of time long ago :(
    I have some of nexus 21 stuff aswell.

altern8.jpg

go go face masks full of vicks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Try Warez p2p client and search for Altern8...I've about 5 mp3s I got from on there a good few months back. Didn't sound nearly as good as what I remembered for some reason though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

The Old Skool Euphoria album is mixed by them IIRC. Got a good bit of their stuff on it + things like LFO while keeping contribution from Snap! and songs like Ebenezer Goode to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I actually have that "old skool" euphoria. Can't say I'm a big fan but I can see how people would like that kind of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Seanie M wrote:
    Are you sure you don't mean Altern-8? With songs called Active-8 and Evapor-8 I think... all around 1993, and also being the fore runner of Hardcore as it was meant to be... Just like Technotrance, The Binman, Sci, UltrasSonic... ah, the memories... kids today think they know dance music!

I agree Seanie M although i think you'll find the likes of Technotrance/The Binman,Ultrasonic,etc are more bouncy techno (that's what they were pigeonholed as anyway) rather than Hardcore..Real Hardcore was the likes of Qbass/Multicore/Krome And Time/4 Hero,SL2,etc..Altern-8 as well of course were pioneers of the Hardcore scene,ive got some MP3's of theirs in my soulseek folder..check out their site http://www.maskhysteria.co.uk/ they still DJ and do the occasional PA at old skool raves in the UK ;)

v-deniso wrote:
    Thats the way it should have looked alright!

They played about 2.5 year back in the TBMC I remember, but that was the first I had heard of them since 1993.

There is a real media file on the link below but thats it

http://www.backtotheoldskool.co.uk/altern-8.htm

Speaking of ultrasonic...do you know where to source any of that?...."Is there anybody out there"

That's right i was there that nite and quite a nite it was as well :) BTW Backtotheoldskool is a brilliant site im a regular on that forum,these guys are experts on Old Skool so if anyone wants to know anything about the music or scene from then that's the place to go ;)

PS-Ultrasonic..fcuk me there's a blast from the past,i remember seeing them in the Ormond Multi Media (RIP) years ago(probably 94),got caught with yokes + got thrown out,went back up half an hour later with a hat on and got back in and had a deadly nite :D ahhh the memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

v-deniso wrote:

They have a "best of" cd out.2 cd with the second live from club kinetic in '96.Can be got nearly everywhere.Worth investing in.And according to clubscene they have a new album in the making whcih should be out later this year. You can get some of there earlier albums the odd time in hmv, not always though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Wertz wrote:
    No speaki teh sovietski comrade...:D

Top left it says english ;)

I have managed to pick up the picture vinyl version of "Mask Hysteria" but it doesnt have a few of the tracks that were released on the cd.

I have looked on all the usual sites but can seem to find this album on cd...Any help would be greatly appreciated

This thread has now turned into a personal crusade :confused:

Slunk wrote:
    They have a "best of" cd out.2 cd with the second live from club kinetic in '96.

Nice one for that...

I will get myself sorted and pick that up too

jonny68 wrote:
    That's right i was there that nite and quite a nite it was as well :) BTW Backtotheoldskool is a brilliant site im a regular on that forum,these guys are experts on Old Skool so if anyone wants to know anything about the music or scene from then that's the place to go ;)

PS-Ultrasonic..fcuk me there's a blast from the past,i remember seeing them in the Ormond Multi Media (RIP) years ago(probably 94),got caught with yokes + got thrown out,went back up half an hour later with a hat on and got back in and had a deadly nite :D ahhh the memories

Hahhaaa...saw them meself in Warrenpoint that year. Had their mixtape from the night signed by two of em...now lost in the mists of time :(
    Ste- wrote:
    Top left it says english ;)
    Mucho obligado

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I love Altern-8.

I have Mask Hysteria on tape. Still works. Sound is a bit ****e though (it's a copy of a copy.)

I'm happy to lend it to someone if they would be able to convert it to MP3's and upload?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭CTRob

I Heard....
    Now its just a rumour.....
    But I heard on the prodigy forums that Altern8 may be playing the night after the Prodigy play the point (nov 17th 05) in dublin...
    Can anyone confirm or give any info on this??
    I really wanna see Altern8 again...
    Must be 10 years...

CTRob wrote:
    I really wanna see Altern8 again...
    Must be 10 years...

Again? You're lucky. I have never seen them but would love it if they came over. I love Altern8. More than just music, the look - those boiler suits and smog masks - the KLF like stunts (wasn't there one where they threatened to drop buns with Es from a hort air balloon on some town in Essex, and one of them ran for Parliament for the Hardcore, You Know the Score party and got a couple of hundred votes) everything was just so brilliantly over the top. For me, they epitomised the early 90s.

And who can ever forget that 'top one nice one get sorted' line?

Just been reading m8 they played the temple bar music centre earlier in the year:
    http://www.irishdrumandbass.com/article.php?sid=394
    I can't believe it, I never heard anything.......

Fu*k me where did this thread spring from again :D yeah i seen Altern-8 in Brighton play a DJ set last month,not bad at all i must say but they have been better ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Seanie M wrote:

em don't you mean 90-91? And Altern-8 hardcore - hardcore had been going since around 89-90. Used to see them all the time at clubs like 'The Entropy', 'Shellys', 'Kinetic', all of them in Stoke on Trent where the two guys are from. Sasha and Digweed used to come up from Cardiff in Wales to play Shellys most weekends.
    They also played both 'Judgement Day' gigs at Stafford show grounds and if I rememer right they played the Amnesia gig at Donnington Park around the same time, clubs like 'The Eclipse' in Coventry, 'The Sanctuary' - Milton Keynes (with obligatory concrete cows lmao :D).

Hardcore though had been around for a couple of years by the time they started with the likes of Grooverider, TopBuzz, EasyGroove, Clarkee (Space Cadet that he is lol ;) ), Micket Finn, DJVenom, Bizarre inc, etc **never ending list continues...

I have a track from around 91? 'Hardcore Anthem' - On it you get all the top hardcore DJ's give there name and 'Respect' after or 'Hardcore'.. That was recorded at Kinetic (If I remember right) in respect to an up and coming young DJ killed in a smash while driving between gigs, or so the rumour went at the time..

Heres a classic from around that time - only going to be online 24hrs so get it while you can...

vim maggie thatchers acid house party

This was a sampled piss take of that hag Thatcher who tried to Kill of RAVE in England at the time with the likes of the PACE act - didn't work though lol...

**Remembers 'Castle Morton' 90/91/92 - 92 was awesome - Biggest 'Illegal' Rave of all time - over 40,000 at it's peak on the saturday night so they reckon.

Theres a 20k system lives tucked away not far from me that was used for some of the maddest gigs in the Welsh Mountains from around 94 onwards. Still going to this day and the subs on this monster rig are something else. Every thing hand built of course...Ahh The memories - The memories....

mainly into goa/psy/ritual/tribal trance myself these days and generally mix the likes of Tika Ritual, Divnorum Talisman, X-Dream, X-Star, Yahel, Talamasca, Space Tribe, Shpongle, and do a lot of chill out stuff like Cafe Dell Mar - Check out Aria by them or vol 9 - pure class!...

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Right pop-pickers. Quick quiz. Can anybody tell me the song they released in about 94-95 under a different name? Answers on a postcard.....

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Right pop-pickers. Quick quiz. Can anybody tell me the song they released in about 94-95 under a different name? Answers on a postcard....

Bells of NY - Slo Moshun?

I think that was only one of Atern8, and before Altern8 they went under the title 'Nexus 21'.

Yes, I have read the Guinness Book of Rap, Dance and Techno!!

Here's a couple of links on them..

Full Discography

Altern-8 - History

I especially remember this
    The 2.30 AM rave in Shelley's car park. For all those who don't know Shelley's isn't some northern bird or a crap shoe shop, it is probably Stafford's best club. Altern8 held a rave in the car park at 2.30 am on the 15th of September 1991. An interview with Altern8 was recorded which was available on vinyl as limited edition, together with Frequency. The police were not amused, but no-one was arrested!

It was Stafforfds best club - long gone now :( (Respects) but that was a mad night, they mention there. The police surrounded the car park and were having hissy fits - was so funny at the time. I'd been around the corner at Kinetic when it all started to go off and it's about the fastest I've seen a club empty!
    Shelly's was a little bit of magic stuck down a back lane in the 'Potteries', a deprived area of Stoke. With the likes of Sasha and Digweed coming up from Wales most weekends as I mentioned to play there. (Gawd - Alex's feet do stink - whizzy feet he got called for awhile lol ;) ). But yeah, one of the great clubs of the era - Altern-8 though generally played at 'The Entropy' which became 'Kinetic' around the end of 91 which was just around the corner from Shellys.
    I think Entropy/Kinetic then moved up into the main city and became 'Golden?' - was golden something anyway.

Fun times - thanks for the memories :D

and ultra sonic's best of album has a full set recorded live from club kinetic :D

CTRob wrote:
    and ultra sonic's best of album has a full set recorded live from club kinetic :D

Yeah? Got a link to it? :)

Now if I could just track down the set of master tapes for Castle Morton 91/92, I'd be very happy. They do exist I know, one set of c90tapes (remember them :eek: ), about 30? of em in all I'd say, maybe more and then rip them to digital. :big smiles: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Go to www.nioldskool.co.uk and go to the forums.

Put up a tune request and you'll get every tune they ever had. Nice bunch of people up there in Norn Iron. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think that was only one of Atern8, and before Altern8 they went under the title 'Nexus 21'.

Very good. I'm impressed.

;) That's not how I know it. I have a copy of it and several of the remixes that were out at the time. I also remember all the hype around the track when it was released.
    The guys who produced it (I thought it was the 2 guys from Altern8) went under American sounding pseudonyms.
    When it was released it was around the time that American house DJs were in their prime in the UK. They even went so far as to release the Vinyl in shrinkwrap to give it that authentic Import look.
    Good tune all the same.

B.

any chance of uploading a copy mate> ;)

• Advertisement

bohsboy wrote:
    Go to www.nioldskool.co.uk and go to the forums.

Put up a tune request and you'll get every tune they ever had. Nice bunch of people up there in Norn Iron. ;)

no disrespect but they seriously will not have a copy of that lot I mentioned. Very much doupt theres more than a couple of copies. The set included Chipping Sodbury 90/91/92, Castle Morton 90/91 and I think they had a master set of Circus Warp 89. These would probably be about the most rarest master tapes I know of, actually recorded at the gig's in question...

As we seem to be reminiscing a bit, how about another old school question,

"Where was the first ever 'Legal' all night venue opened?" happened begining of 1990 to give a wee clue... :)

nb: can't for the life of me remember it's name.... lol

Advertisement