Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart getting on my nerves.

• 08-06-2005 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

i signed up for smart BB a few months ago and i got an e-mail to say my exchange was live. smart sent me out a letter sayin i'd have to change my phone number to get and it wud take 12 days. i think its past the 12 days and still no modem or anything. i know there is probably a lot of threads about this but i want to know did any 1 have the same type problem.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

as far as i know, its generally done that they send out the modem, and then within 10 Working days, your connection is live, not sure if there is any time specified on how long it takes to send out modem etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Yep. Thats how it worked for me and a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

i signed up for smart BB a few months ago and i got an e-mail to say my exchange was live. smart sent me out a letter sayin i'd have to change my phone number to get and it wud take 12 days. i think its past the 12 days and still no modem or anything. i know there is probably a lot of threads about this but i want to know did any 1 have the same type problem.
    thanks

Were you with eircom for your calls up until now, or were you with smart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭half_life_man

Were you with eircom for your calls up until now, or were you with smart?
    I was with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

So if you're already a smart telecom customer (i.e. paying phone charges & line rental to smart) awaiting broaband,
    does it still mean, in order to get broadband, you have to disconnect from Smart, pay eircom to reconnect you at the new number then sign up for smart again?

If that's the case then there's no point in being connected to smart and paying line rental, only reason I signed up for the phone service was to get away from eircom while waiting for broadband!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fuse wrote:
    So if you're already a smart telecom customer (i.e. paying phone charges & line rental to smart) awaiting broaband,
    does it still mean, in order to get broadband, you have to disconnect from Smart, pay eircom to reconnect you at the new number then sign up for smart again?
    No. The reason you need a new number is because the broadband service works over LLU, which essentially gives Smart control of your line. Since eircom don't want to let Smart use their numbers, Smart will assign you a new number, and give it to you. You pay zilch to eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

fuse wrote:

See more here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=265501

What you have to do to have the LLU process started is to have a phone service from eircom. Your CPS service with Smart will need to be canceled. That means you are automatically switched back to the default carrier which is eircom. It's the silly "rules" for LLU that you need to be an eircom customer to be unbubdled.

If you were told that by using the Smart phone service you'd get the Smart broadband product faster then you were misinformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Thanks Damien.

That really sucks.
    If it wasn't for smart I wouldn't have bothered with a phone line.
    So I'm effectivly after PAYING 50 odd euro to Smart for NOT connecting me to broadband.

I had to get phone line connected in the first place to check if broadband was available and they told me I'd have to keep it connected in order to get broadband when it's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

when oh when oh when oh when are smart going to reply to me 8(

this crown alley malarkey is bumming me out, nearly as much as being back on 56k. 56! aieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

fuse wrote:

If that's the case then there's no point in being connected to smart and paying line rental, only reason I signed up for the phone service was to get away from eircom while waiting for broadband!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cancel smart and switch back to eircom, and once you get an eircom number sign up for smart again - any line rental you pay should be transfered across to your smart account and HOPEFULLY they will credit this back (I hope anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

I'm on the crown alley exchange aswell. Rang them about 2 weeks ago. Got a really enthuastic American CSR who told me crown alley would have been upgraded that day or the day after. So confident was she of this that she was going to send out one of those consent forms for a number transfer (which would speed up the connection process once it goes live). Have yet to receive form. Signed up to BT today (monthly contract job), can't handle Smart's shenagans for the time being. such cowboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

fuse wrote:
    I had to get phone line connected in the first place to check if broadband was available and they told me I'd have to keep it connected in order to get broadband when it's available.
    Fuse, what exchange are you on and when do they claim they'll be ready to go live?
    Cancel smart and switch back to eircom, and once you get an eircom number sign up for smart again - any line rental you pay should be transfered across to your smart account and HOPEFULLY they will credit this back (I hope anyway).
    Huh? "Cancel smart and switch back to eircom" makes sense, but why sign up again? If fuse isn't using the phone line for much except the odd call, he should sign up for Eircom's lowest rate ("Vulnerable User Scheme" - €25 per month including line rental and €5 of calls) and wait for Smart BB to get their act together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

thanks
    Phone them. If the exchange is live, there's no reason for there to be a delay other than the fact they've messed up. When you phone them, make sure they are clear that you are happy to change number, have no existing BB on the line, and are ready to connect immediately. Make sure they take a delivery address for the modem/router. It should arrive by courier within a few days. You should also get a transfer authorisation form by post within a few of days. If neither happens, you have fallen into Smart BB limbo. Phone them back. Repeat the above. Eventually you'll get connected.

Then again, maybe your exchange isn't really live. Which exchange is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

I'm cancelling my Smart order asap! Focking useless. I'm on the Belcamp exchange and they can't even tell me when it'll be up. I was told 3-4 weeks there or there abouts today which is what I was told when we signed up 4 months ago. And I'd have to change my number????? We've had the same number for close to 35 years! Right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Same here got sick of the lies. Signed up for BT as well ,at least they had the cop on to get rid of thier installation charge for self install kits. At least I know I will havee BB this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Wow, smart have seemingly gone from a shining star to Eircom2! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This is interesting, I've signed up for smart bb at the start of the year to get a hold of their free line rental deal but i intended to keep UTV as my phone company. Smart have never informed me that i may have to change phone numbers to avail of their line rental service (actually Smart have never informed me of much full stop). UTV now give me a similar line speed to smart's offer and as their service has always been good i cant see a reason to enter into with my Smart contract. Given that they've failed to provide the service I signed up for in a timely manner, would there be a problem with cancelling on Smart? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

There is no contract untill you are connected!!!!!! Just send them an email & ask for confirmation by return...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Bambi wrote:
    This is interesting, I've signed up for smart bb at the start of the year to get a hold of their free line rental deal but i intended to keep UTV as my phone company. Smart have never informed me that i may have to change phone numbers to avail of their line rental service (actually Smart have never informed me of much full stop). UTV now give me a similar line speed to smart's offer and as their service has always been good i cant see a reason to enter into with my Smart contract. Given that they've failed to provide the service I signed up for in a timely manner, would there be a problem with cancelling on Smart? :confused:

You cannot keep UTV as your phone company and get bb from Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

those nice people at smart told me otherwise :eek:. Im not too pushed about whether i keep UTV for calls, but im happy with their bb service so smart can go and s***e, they missed their chance

• Advertisement

sleur wrote:
    I'm on the crown alley exchange aswell. Rang them about 2 weeks ago. Got a really enthuastic American CSR who told me crown alley would have been upgraded that day or the day after. So confident was she of this that she was going to send out one of those consent forms for a number transfer (which would speed up the connection process once it goes live). Have yet to receive form. Signed up to BT today (monthly contract job), can't handle Smart's shenagans for the time being. such cowboys.
    just checked my number on smart's site. Seems as though crown alley is live. tried ringing them & yet again, got through to a real life person who told me all their CSRs are busy (SMART: think of investing in an automated telephone queue system?) gonna try later to see if the Word is true or just another ploy to keep you hanging on for another couple of months.

sleur wrote:
    just checked my number on smart's site. Seems as though crown alley is live. tried ringing them & yet again, got through to a real life person who told me all their CSRs are busy (SMART: think of investing in an automated telephone queue system?) gonna try later to see if the Word is true or just another ploy to keep you hanging on for another couple of months.
    to quote myself again, got back in contact with smart. crown alley is live, CSR i was talking to got one of the team leaders to give me a call back a few minutes later (dunno why he did this, i was nice). got called back, phone transfer authorisation is being sent out (hopefully it'll arrive this time) and broadband should be up and running within 12 days. after 2 months of dial-up, thank christ. oh, and i cancelled that application with BT. I'm not sure if I should be optimistic but I guess I'll play it by day from now until I receive the modem.

Advertisement