Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Treatment for undercarriage rust?

Options
  • 08-06-2005 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

My car has some surface undercarriage rust and I want to make sure it doesn't become anything worse than that.

Anyone know of a good way of treating it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Wire brush off the worst of the loose stuff - use a drill and wire brush bit if it is extensive. Brush on a rust treatment like Jenolite or Hammerite Rust Eater and leave to dry then prime the area with grey primer (brush it on - don't use aerosols as they don't adhere as well). Finish with a coat of rubberised underbody treatment (body schutz) and the underneath of your car will outlast the rest of it.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I started a thread on this topic in the classic cars forum. The general idea is that you scrape and sand off the old paint and rust until you get to bare, clean metal. You then treat and paint the metal. Surface prep is very important otherwise you're at nothing and the ruzst will reappear within a few months

In terms of what products to use, I've heard great things about "POR-15" anti-rust paint and associated products. If you go for these your procedure will look something like this
    -sand down to bare metal
    -use POR-15 "marine clean" degreaser
    -use POR-15 "metal ready" rust killer/etching solution
    -paint on the POR-15 itself with a brush
    -paint on POR-15 "tie coat primer" with a brush
    -sand the primer with a fine (edit: or possibly medium) grade paper
    -spray/brush on a top coat
    -apply liberal quantities of Waxoyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

BrianD3 wrote:
    -sand down to bare metal

Sand or use a wire brush (or both)?

Also, where can I get all these products? B&Q? Halfords?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Sand or use a wire brush (or both)?
    Both. But if it's surface rust there will be more emphasis on the sanding part. Use a coarse grade paper.
    A wire brush is more for removing nasty, flaking, advanced rust.
    Also, where can I get all these products? B&Q? Halfords?
    You'd get the Hammeriet and Jenolite that interceptor mentioned in halfords and probably B+Q. If you decide to get the POR-15, you'll have to get it sent in from england. The suppliers are a crowd called Frost Automotive Restoration

Advertisement