Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what questions did u answer?

Options
  • 08-06-2005 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Did anyone else think the personal writing titles were ****? I did Cinderella for the fairytale one, but it was just a whole loada **** about a kenyan cult...
    I didnt get paper 1 finished cos i spent waaaaay too long on the reading, and that wasnt good cos the media studies wasnt too easy...i only had a 4 line answer 4 part c!
    On paper 2 it was better, i thought the drama and fiction questions were ok but poetry wasnt 2 great and i dont think my answer was very relevant!
    Did u pick the shakespeare or modern drama? I did the modern for the 1st time ever cos i was liking the whole voices in his head thing!
    But anyway i guess its over now anyway, 1 down, 9 to go(or 8 if your lucky!)
    Each exam brings us that bit closer to summer!WOOHOOOOO!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

I got the whole thing done with 20 mins to spare :D.....only done 7 and a bit pages though.....how many you all do?

I done the best or worst holiday option for personal...I believe I wrote a good one. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I did the speech, for reasons previously disposed. I got stuck on an ending for the functional writing though, and ended up saying "...and remember, you cant spell salad without lad, and lad is in glad, so I'm glad you listened" It just came out!

lol now that youve reminded me. That question(I done the food pyramid) was a disaster for me...out of 30 or so marks given I'd say I got bout 12-16 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

Lmao hopefully the examiner will have a sense of humour!I did that one too cos i could not write anything even remotely interesting about a couple of seagulls!
    I dont no how many pages i did, but i didnt need extra paper or anything.
    I was planning on doing the debate but i started planning it and was already boring myself to death so i had to improvise..

Hey can i steal your "you cant have salad without a lad..." thing for my signature? Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeee

Sure, but if you get virtually beaten up, DONT COME CRYING TO ME!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 alanoc9

i wrote 24 pages for the 2 papers.did anyone eles think the functional writing was crap

I wrote 10. And a half. Way to make me feel bad! A girl in my year wrote 31.

Yes functional writing was crap.....24 PAGES...I dont bout 7 in first paper and I got bout same in second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

Personal Writing I did the My Mouth Went Dry....one. I made up some odd yoke about a Dublin gang based in Bray. I think it was alright, humerous with a decent plot. Functional Writing I did the Food Pyramid, I couldn't think of anything exciting to do with seagulls either.

Media Studies was a load of ****, I thought.

I did the Other Drama (Ted Hughes rocks) and the conflict scene for Romeo & Juliet. I was fairly happy with Drama overall, I know Act 3 Scene 1 pretty off by heart so I could quote loads from it.

Poetry...sham. I hadn't a clue for that. I used the Youth/Old Age thing and wrote about Mid-Term Break (don't ask). I'm sure I made up a lot of crap that wasn't in the poem, but hopefuly it was plausible crap.

Fiction..eugh. I hate The Love Bean (I read it last year) so I was annoyed it came up. I think I managed to do a good enough answer. I also hate my novel, Wings Over Delft by Aubrey Flegg, but I hope I was able to sound convincing on the changing character one.

I think I did okay overall, about 18 pages.

I did Midterm break too...but for the question about setting...which is completely irrelevant! I should have done youth!
    Thank you for the signature im still virtually healthy...but for how long??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Those essay titles were pretty sweet, didn't get to look at the rest of the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

The Personal Writing options this year were brilliant compared to previous years. I chose the, "my heart beat so hard....," or what ever it was, question.

I was a woman being attacked in an ally and but I killed the guy with some glass through the eye and then I went home to my wife-beating husband. I tried to wash off the blood but i couldn't get some from under my nails so I had to lick it out. Then my husband threw me into the bedroom cos' I lied about there not being pancakes at the store. He left after 5 mins., after he was finished (rape).
    Then while lying naked on the bed I decided to get a knife, kick in the television and give my husband a knife to kill me with.

Sure t'was all in good fun!

I left Paper 1 30 mins. early and Paper 2 20 mins. early.

I did the food pyramid question and I think I did fairly well on that.

For Paper 1 I did about 7 pages and for Paper 2 I had 1 page left blank in the booklet so I don't know how many pages that is.

The poetry went really well for me. I had some good ideas about the unseen. For the seen I did To A Child Dancing In The Wind by W.B. Yeats and I used it for the Youth question. It was perfect for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    Dulce Est Decorum Est is a brilliant poem but how does it go with the place question at all? Heh.

I wasn't allowed but the examiner said I could get it tomorrow. However that might have been becasue I left early.

t'was, your not allowed take em unless your there at the end...
    I dont dulce et decorum est for the setting too....couldnt think of any other peom with a setting :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

well, english over and done with. over all i think it went pretty well. For my personal writing I did the my mouth went dry thing. I made out this plan and then decided not to do it and crossed it out. I wrote aboute this girl and she was sneaking into a house because she was looking for something. It went grand.

The functional writing wasn't hard but I was kinda annoyed. Couldn't they have just given the nice bog standard formal letter? Anyway, I did the food pyramid one and put in all this "information" and "facts".

The unseen poetry was so ****! There was nothing in it! Nothing you could comment on. All my words I had prepared like 'assonance' and 'onomatopoeia' were wasted becuase there was NADA to comment on. In the end I just said I liked it because it told a story and was about someone the same age as me.

I'm pretty pleased with the English exam. I think I did well, and hopefully I'll get an A (I want one so bad. I was 3% off in my mock).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Dulce Est Decorum Est is a brilliant poem but how does it go with the place question at all? Heh.

I wasn't allowed but the examiner said I could get it tomorrow. However that might have been becasue I left early.
    I answered on Dulce Et Decorum Est too and I did fine in it. The poem has an unique setting and the setting (disturbing adjectives) makes the poem effective it fits in perfectly m8

Me, Im jusr hoping to get over 70%. English, I can never comprehend how to write the way your meant to...I waffled a LOT in that test...I got 65% i think in mocks.
    Just cross fingers and hope for a sloppy examiner, maybe do mine last and mark it good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I already had "jack and the beanstalk" rewritten...so I used the plot and made it better than before!

At the end of the unseen poetry did the dude learn a lesson? Like he couldnt believe that the motorcyclist nearly died yet just got right back on? Or am I missing something???

• Advertisement

I thought the whole this was an allogory of a lonely kid looking for companionship. He finds the motorcycle but then the cyclist gets up and his life is lonely once again.

That was one really bad poem...asked if i liked it...I said no but had nothing to back it up.
    So I said no i hate thet peom but the language used is good and babbled on about that.
    As for learning a lesson I haven't a breeze...deciphering poems is not for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

THat's the thing, no one in my school was sure whether that was the case, like the poem actually did have a deeper meaning and we were all just missing it? Or was it actually as simple as it appeared?

Hmmm...that theory about him losing him companian is good.
    But i guess they cant mark u wrong 4 what you interpret it to be, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

On the Spainish add was i the only one not to notice the Marks on the feet of the people.I waffeled on about it being great for familys and how you could become closer to you child.

For eassy i did a case of mistaken identity , i was mistaken for a hit man and hooked up to torrure machine.

I seen it I seen it!!!!!! :D
    I waffle on about the same things but for the marks on the feet I said that the climate, obvious with the beach and all, is great for tan and that the tan lines tell us that these are two tourists not locals(thats wont get any marks though :p )

That was one really bad poem...asked if i liked it...I said no but had nothing to back it up.

I had that problem too! So I said that there was no sibilance etc., fthis could be seen in stanza one...I'm REALLY bad at english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

And why was the last stanza of unseen poetry just one line long? How are you supposed to answer that?

"It's one line long, because there were only four words in it. Splitting it into separate lines would look stupid."

It's one line long becasue the poet's trying to draw attention to it and emphasise it. The lack of adverbs too makes it stand out as opposed to the more descriptive lines. Plus the separation of it from the other lines mirrors the poet's feelings of lonliness.

• Advertisement

modular wrote:
    And why was the last stanza of unseen poetry just one line long? How are you supposed to answer that?

"It's one line long, because there were only four words in it. Splitting it into separate lines would look stupid."

Didn't you realise it "Signified the end, the end of this defining moment in the poets young life"? Well, I thought THAT was obvious!! :D

Advertisement