Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths(O)

Options
  • 08-06-2005 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

May as well start the ball rolling now that the english rush is gone,
    some teacher said some type of graph is coming up this year on p2 i tink anyone know which one??

and anyone know definate questions coming up on p1? like part c's i need to get them right
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I'm screwed for this exam
    I'm on to take notes from www.e-xamit.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

differentiate everything

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

LOL. This is going to be a funny topic, you CAN predict every question that comes up, its always the same.

I advise all (O) students to go to skool.ie go to maths and the paper layout, it tells you what comes up for every question.

I am planning on doing every single paper one all day, then irish ****, god damn my last minute cramming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I dont like paper 1 as it is but it aint all that bad probably get full marks on it. Been working on it a lot the only thing that might get me a bit is the algebra mainly the bits on question 2 where u have to get the power and then they put all the info into some mad equation and u have to work it out. Nothing to hard just have to remember all the equations if i forget one i might as well give up. I will probably make a mistake on the product rule or quotient rule.

I will just have to fly through paper 1 and start cramming for the essay in irish like a mad man. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

Best of luck to everyone with the Maths! I dropped from higher to ordinary after the mocks. Failed real bad - 24%! Now im hoping for an 'A' on the ordinary paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

ok quick question, what formula's do i need for maths paper one??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I have one major stumbling block with Maths Paper 1. It's called factorising. I still don't understand the procedure.

Could anyone out there explain it to me? Would be well appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

Johnerr wrote:
    ok quick question, what formula's do i need for maths paper one??

- formulas for ap's a gp's in sequences and series - tn, sn etc
    - formula for the interest rate thing (if it comes up in q1 - anyone know if btw?)
    - dy/dx and all that stuff (product rule etc all in tables anyway) remember that dy/dx = slope
    - differinsiate (sp) from first principles

That's all I can think of at the moment

Do they give us log tables tomorrow?

<Jonny> wrote:
    Do they give us log tables tomorrow?

Yes, and graph paper if needed. Remember you calculator too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Havnt a clue how to do the first principles differentiation, anyone got a quick and easy guide? I dont have the book either :s

First principles:
    f(x+h) - f(x)

h--> 0

So, you substitute "(x+h)" in, wherever there is an "x" in your original expression.

Work all that **** out. Next take away the original expression from the newly adjusted version. Just slap it on the end, with a minus sign before it. Use brackets.

Now divide by "H". A few Hs will remain, where there was an H(squared) before.

Now limit h to zero. That means replacing any H in the expression with a "(0)". Multiply it out and you should be left with a couple of terms.

That probably makes little sense on its own. Try to understand this example:

http://www.e-xamit.ie/tutorials/leaving/maths/ordinary/2003/1/06/a2.html

Havnt a clue how to do the first principles differentiation, anyone got a quick and easy guide? I dont have the book either :s

Have a look here - http://www.paulmcgrath.info/leaving05/firstprinciples.jpg

Either way will get you full marks.

And always check you answer when you're done.

Your final answer should equal dy/dx of the original equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

PaulMcG wrote:
    Have a look here - http://www.paulmcgrath.info/leaving05/firstprinciples.jpg

Either way will get you full marks.

You beauty

Have a look at the marking schemes @ http://www.examinations.ie/main.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=type. They also do out the full answers from 2001 on...

I've done a paper one from each year for the last few nights and checked my answers there then. I should easily get an A2 or A1 on paper 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

EXAM PAPERS

And remember, If x = y+3 then x + 2x - 4 = 0 is (y+3)+2(y+3) - 4 = 0 which is

y+3 + 2y + 6 - 4 ==== 2y + y + 5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Simple. Reckon I got an A or a B1 there no bother. I didn't really get the Difference of Two Squares question, but aside from that it was no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

ye i thought it was alrite, but i didnt have a clue about the ratio question in q1!

anyone like to enlighten me?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

ye i thought it was alrite, but i didnt have a clue about the ratio question in q1!

anyone like to enlighten me?!
    I think it's done like this: divide the amount into the sum of the bottom numbers to get what 1 part of it was. Then you simply multiply what ever 1 part is by the number on top of the fraction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Petal

Thats what I did, like all the bottom numbers added up to 9 parts.. then I found 1 part then multiply it by 2 parts, 3 parts etc.. Question 1 part c, I've never seen it before in my life! Suppose though they used population instead of money. Everything I wrote just seemed too easy to be right.. Fingers crossed it was..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

Binomate wrote:
    I think it's done like this: divide the amount into the sum of the bottom numbers to get what 1 part of it was. Then you simply multiply what ever 1 part is by the number on top of the fraction.

Yeah, that's it. Use the common denominator (in this case twelve) to turn the fractions into natural number. Then divide by twelve, and multiply by the number on top of the fraction (in it's twelve form)
    ...i.e 1/2 = 6/12
    325 divided by 12 = 27.0833333333
    multiply by six = 162.5(ans)

Advertisement