Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian paisley - Durkan blotched with fascism.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

dahamsta wrote:
    I feel that if anyone is qualified to lecture on agendas, it's Sand.

For adding absolutely nothing to the discussion and trying to personalise it have a one week ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

murphaph wrote:
    Same difference. That charade of Adams' asking the IRA to disband was just that, a charade. He'd already convened a meeting of the army council and they'd all agreed on that announcement beforehand. All carefully choreographed but fooling nobody.
    Even if he had contacted the PIRA before - which i'm sure he had, should he have not made a statement asking them to end their armed struggle? He was officially, on the record, calling on the PIRA to end their armed struggle. It doesn't make it a charade.
    But this is probably off topic.
    Ian Paisley is 79, so hopefully he has only a few years left - it is believed that he is suffering from a terminal illness. But I fear his son may be worse. Can you imagine listening to a catholic hating bigot father for the first 39 years of your life? I'm sure it would have a major effect on a kid growing up.
    And to sum up Ian Paisley with one of his quotes from 1968 that he "would rather be British than be fair."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

But I fear his son may be worse. Can you imagine listening to a catholic hating bigot father for the first 39 years of your life?
    his son doesnt carry the same clout. Robison and Donaldson are more of a threat to the process if Paisley kicks the bucket IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

his son doesnt carry the same clout. Robison and Donaldson are more of a threat to the process if Paisley kicks the bucket IMO
    To be honest guys they're a bunch of politicians. Politicians want power and their principles usually fo out the window when the begin to sniff it. If SFIRA ditch the criminality then the DUP will deal with them with a triumphalist "we made the IRA go away" type of thing. They'll all happily head into power together with the two most extreme leaders of politics being the most powerful men in NI. How very sad. We could have had decent genuine folks like Hume & Trimble and things like education and roads would be the biggest topics of debate in Stormont instead of bombs and guns. I'm sure the vast vast majority of the people of NI want fcuking normality! But seem to vote for extremism??

Politicians want power and their principles usually fo out the window when the begin to sniff it
    I dunno, all politicians should want power. Without it they cannot represent their constituents
    They'll all happily head into power together with the two most extreme leaders of politics being the most powerful men in NI
    Also, the two most democratically supported.
    We could have had decent genuine folks like Hume & Trimble
    Now this made me choke!!! Fair enough Trimble has knocked Jesus of his chair in Irish circles but fecking Trimble!!! Christ on a bike! The same dude that got us into this mess by refusing to support the agreement. By walking away from the process at a point where the IRA had made major decommissioning moves and were on the road to disbandment. For what? To try and out-bigot Paisley as always.

Same as they held hands after leading the Orange Order down the "queens highway".
    We could have had decent genuine folks like Hume & Trimble
    The roads are not in bad shape. Great progress was made in Education with martin mcguiness in a few short months.
    I'm sure the vast vast majority of the people of NI want fcuking normality! But seem to vote for extremism??
    Im not so sure the majority of people who vote for DUP wants a functioning democracy. We'll see how their support holds up if they go into power with Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

Now this made me choke!!! Fair enough Trimble has knocked Jesus of his chair in Irish circles but fecking Trimble!!! Christ on a bike! The same dude that got us into this mess by refusing to support the agreement. By walking away from the process at a point where the IRA had made major decommissioning moves and were on the road to disbandment. For what? To try and out-bigot Paisley as always.
    Come on, David Trimble ad his supporters like Taylor and Nesbitt took unionism somewhere it had never been before. He risked and lost his political career because he genuinely thought he could work towards a lasting peace. Without him and Hume there would be no GFA. He was once one of the most fervent unionsists in NI. We all remember him at the Orange marches in Portadown, but that was easy for him. The hard thing was taking the risks he took which eventually cost him his career because the IRA won't cut the crap and wind up.
    The roads are not in bad shape. Great progress was made in Education with martin mcguiness in a few short months. Im not so sure the majority of people who vote for DUP wants a functioning democracy. We'll see how their support holds up if they go into power with Sinn Fein.
    I'm not talking about how roads and education are, I'm saying that in normalised politics that's what we talk about, not weaponry and the like. I believe that most unionists and nationalists are sick of the boys with their toys (paramilitaries crawling round forests doing their 'training'). They didn't always vote for SF or the DUP. The IRA failed to move fast enough (It's 11 years since the first ceasefire and hey still haven't decommissioned!!) and now we're slipping back. You see, SF are nothing without the IRA and they know it. Martin McGuinness as Minister for Education....now that was a laugh....and today's lesson is TIMERS!

Come on, David Trimble ad his supporters like Taylor and Nesbitt took unionism somewhere it had never been before.
    Where? There has been several "new beginnings" in the past. Just that they didnt involve republicans. What "brave" decisions did Trimble make? Enter negotiations with republicans?

I dont call it brave, I call it innevitable. Same as the DUP will eventually.
    He was once one of the most fervent unionsists in NI. We all remember him at the Orange marches in Portadown, but that was easy for him
    But he didnt change his views; ever
    The hard thing was taking the risks he took which eventually cost him his career because the IRA won't cut the crap and wind up.
    What exactly cost him his career?IMO it was the fact that he could never bring himself to proactively work towards a stable democracy. Are you telling me that if he had achieved this, he would of lost the election to the DUP. IMO the loss of the UU in the last elections was due to a political vacum created 90% their own fault.

Remember the historic statements which were to be made. With Gerry going first of course stating the IRA was over. Trimble pocketed that and walked away.
    Historic, independantly supervised decommissioning under established structures also took place. Trimble pocketed that and walked away.

All SF ever asked him to do was to procactively support the "agreement". He could never do it. The IRA would be non-existant in a stable democracy in the north only for him. He was essentially spineless with balls to stand up to the likes of the DUP and and people like Jeffrey.
    You see, SF are nothing without the IRA and they know it. Martin McGuinness as Minister for Education....now that was a laugh....and today's lesson is TIMERS!
    How do you believe SF are nothing without the IRA. Sure the IRA have been effectively out of operation for the last 10 years.

Are you suggest McGuinness didnt make a good job of education?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

But he didnt change his views; ever

He entered the assembly with SFIRA through gritted teeth and over the growing discontent in his parties ranks at SFIRAs unreformed terrorism.

SFIRA wont even sit on the policing board. Their party members recently murdered a man, and SFIRA wont even call on people to make statements to the police.

Who travelled farthest?
    So sand you think that if Paisley had agreed to allowing decommisioning be observed by a member of the Protestant church and the IRA ahd fully deccomisoned we wouldn't be in a different situation

SFIRA had no intention of living up to the terms of any deal. Thats demonstrated by their contempt for the deal as it stands - theyre still maintaining and operating a terrorist group, still carrying out punishment beatings and still committing crime.

Even if they did some publicity stunt for the benefit of Paisley he quite rightly wouldnt trust them, and SFIRA quite predictably wouldnt become upstanding constitutional democrats aghast at the idea of terrorism. Any deal is meaningless when the so called partners for peace hate and mistrust each other. Any deal would have collapsed either in the aftermath of the bank robbery or the McCartney murder, or it would simply have collapsed under the weight of continuing SFIRA punishment beatings and criminal enterprise.

Belief otherwise is as misplaced as the widely trumpeted assertion that Paisley was gagging to "do a deal" after the elections.
    All SF ever asked him to do was to procactively support the "agreement". He could never do it. The IRA would be non-existant in a stable democracy in the north only for him. He was essentially spineless with balls to stand up to the likes of the DUP and and people like Jeffrey.

Trimble was given a written guarantee that if he entered government with SFIRA that they would decomission. Spin it anyway you like but he jumped first depending on SFIRA to follow. They didnt, they sold him out and made him look weak and ineffectual. Best of luck with Paisley - hes not going to fall for Provo two facedness, and hes not going to be bullied by the governments like Trimble was - not after the near disaster in December.

How do you believe SF are nothing without the IRA. Sure the IRA have been effectively out of operation for the last 10 years.
    SF had t be brought into the fold because they represent (are) the IRA. Without the threat of a private army SF's importance dies away and people can just vote for normal non-terrorist linked politicians.
    Are you suggest McGuinness didnt make a good job of education?
    Come on then, I know you're dying to tell me all the great initiatives he started?

I agree with Sand. SFIRA fcuked Trimble over and now they have an extremist counterbalance. Perhaps it was SFIRA strategy all along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

irish1 wrote:
    I take it thats your opinion, coz if your presenting that as fact I would love to see the proof.

So sand you think that if Paisley had agreed to allowing decommisioning be observed by a member of the Protestant church and the IRA ahd fully deccomisoned we wouldn't be in a different situation :confused:

Uh huh, and the fact that while negotiations were taking place the IRA were planning a massive robbery, seems to suggest that the IRA were'n't just about to lie down.

The suggestion that Paisley was the only one who made the talks in December collaspe is a cornerstone of SF arguments, the fact that the IRA were operating during these talks suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

SFIRA had no intention of living up to the terms of any deal.
    Judging by the obvious prejudice displayed in your posts, I would imagine this is more of an opinion than a fact. How can you deny that if the IRA have decomissioned then regardless of what happened, a u-turn would have ruined SF? I mean, if they say they have destroyed their weapons and then go back to business as usual then nobody would ever deal with SF again. Furthermore, I believe that SF would have lost serious support as people would no longer believe that SF could bring them peace. (And like people said, that is what most people up there want after all)
    Uh huh, and the fact that while negotiations were taking place the IRA were planning a massive robbery, seems to suggest that the IRA were'n't just about to lie down.
    No offence, but this seems a tad naive statement. Until the point where they disband they are still an active (criminal) organisation and as such will continue to plan for the future. They were on a ceasefire, ie no bombings - nothing else.
    SF had t be brought into the fold because they represent (are) the IRA.
    Actually I think they represent the catholics. (Whether that support was generated initially because of the IRA's existence is another matter)
    Any deal would have collapsed either in the aftermath of the bank robbery or the McCartney murder, or it would simply have collapsed under the weight of continuing SFIRA punishment beatings and criminal enterprise.
    Who is to know if the robbery would have taken place at all if game over was called (assuming it WAS indeed the IRA) - you can play "what if" all you like but there is no way of knowing. As for the murder, those people may have been SF/IRA members but they were not acting on behalf of the IRA. Rogue elements are an unfortunate part of every group - and the current climate (where we have an IRA) only gives them some illusion of authority.
    Even if he had contacted the PIRA before - which i'm sure he had, should he have not made a statement asking them to end their armed struggle? He was officially, on the record, calling on the PIRA to end their armed struggle. It doesn't make it a charade.
    But he is at least on record saying that he wants the days of violence over. How long can he play the tune without acting? If the Unionists had any cop on they would be making every effort to help the process at this stage in order to force his hand in removing the IRA.

All this is well and good, but I actually believe that Paisley doesn't want a peace as I believe, once peace is attained, that his biggotry would soon become a thing of the past and he would have to move over for other politicians who speak the language of reconcilliation...

Boggle wrote:
    No offence, but this seems a tad naive statement. Until the point where they disband they are still an active (criminal) organisation and as such will continue to plan for the future. They were on a ceasefire, ie no bombings - nothing else.

No it's not. It's a response to the claim that we were on the cusp of a historic breakthrough a potential disbanding of the IRA in december destroyed by Paisleys obstinance and hardline stance which could not be tolerated as a sign of surrender by the IRA. This has been the stance of the IRA/SF supporters/Republicans on this board since then. They have a point.

However the suggestion that the IRA were just about to disband is discredited by the fact that during this negotiations the IRA were planning a massive robbery. Why? Why did an army just on the edge of disbandment need such an influx of cash.

While I don't doubt that Paisley's wrecking upset the apple cart of the peace process, one has to wonder were the IRA just about to disband or discontinue.

So no it's not a naive statement, its on a attack on the claim that the peace process stalled just because of Paisley's demand.

As for the criminal acts we are repeatadly assured the IRA's criminality is used to fund their war and thats it, so either the repubilican movement was engaged in common theivery to line their own pockets, or the statement that the Paisley was the sole wrecker of the December talks is false, because the IRA were robbing banks to continue their campaign. Either way the repubilcan movement doesn't come out of this looking well.
    Who is to know if the robbery would have taken place at all if game over was called (assuming it WAS indeed the IRA) - you can play "what if" all you like but there is no way of knowing. As for the murder, those people may have been SF/IRA members but they were not acting on behalf of the IRA. Rogue elements are an unfortunate part of every group - and the current climate (where we have an IRA) only gives them some illusion of authority.

Ah the wacky rouge element. Responsible for so many acts that go aganist the principle of republicanism, the murder of innocents, robbery, intimidation, astonishing acts of violents. Hang on I got turned around, which ones are the principles of republicanism, and who's going aganist them?
    But he is at least on record saying that he wants the days of violence over. How long can he play the tune without acting? If the Unionists had any cop on they would be making every effort to help the process at this stage in order to force his hand in removing the IRA.

New to the situation are we? The Unionists have elected a hard line party who have dug their heels in, because for the last decade Trimble was seen to cave into the repubilican movement. The Unionist elected Paisleys bunch for the exact opposite argument you're presented.
    All this is well and good, but I actually believe that Paisley doesn't want a peace as I believe, once peace is attained, that his biggotry would soon become a thing of the past and he would have to move over for other politicians who speak the language of reconcilliation...

And again the Trimble et all were speaking the language of reconcilliation for nigh on decade (with the odd speed bump) and their time is at the moment past, the republican movement has got to cop that it's unlikely to change back any time soon, and they're going to have to try to meet Paisley half way. For example if the IRA really were interested in decommisioning they've lost the moral high ground over their pride over photographs, the last six months have seen to that, if they've interested in peace time to don the sackcloth and ashes. That'll take the wind out of Paisley's sails, and will give Ahern and Blair something to hold over Paisley, "they've done this, now you've got to open power sharing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

However the suggestion that the IRA were just about to disband is discredited by the fact that during this negotiations the IRA were planning a massive robbery. Why? Why did an army just on the edge of disbandment need such an influx of cash.
    Did you read my point? Read iot agin if you want an answer to this.
    While I don't doubt that Paisley's wrecking upset the apple cart of the peace process, one has to wonder were the IRA just about to disband or discontinue.
    Not being blessed with psychic powers, I can only assume that they would have done what they said they would do. (I gave reasons in the last post why I thought it would be difficult for them to do a u-turn)
    As for the criminal acts we are repeatadly assured the IRA's criminality is used to fund their war and thats it, so either the repubilican movement was engaged in common theivery to line their own pockets, or the statement that the Paisley was the sole wrecker of the December talks is false, because the IRA were robbing banks to continue their campaign. Either way the repubilcan movement doesn't come out of this looking well.
    Whats so surprising about a criminal gang lining their own pockets? You seem shocked at the idea...
    Ah the wacky rouge element. Responsible for so many acts that go aganist the principle of republicanism, the murder of innocents, robbery, intimidation, astonishing acts of violents. Hang on I got turned around, which ones are the principles of republicanism, and who's going aganist them?
    In this an argument against the point or an acknowledgement that I have one?
    New to the situation are we? The Unionists have elected a hard line party who have dug their heels in, because for the last decade Trimble was seen to cave into the repubilican movement. The Unionist elected Paisleys bunch for the exact opposite argument you're presented.
    So that photographic evidence (aka propaganda to keep paisley in office after peace is restored) was the hard line they chose?? They were getting what they wanted - why the extra conditions?
    And again the Trimble et all were speaking the language of reconcilliation for nigh on decade (with the odd speed bump) and their time is at the moment past, the republican movement has got to cop that it's unlikely to change back any time soon, and they're going to have to try to meet Paisley half way. For example if the IRA really were interested in decommisioning they've lost the moral high ground over their pride over photographs, the last six months have seen to that, if they've interested in peace time to don the sackcloth and ashes. That'll take the wind out of Paisley's sails, and will give Ahern and Blair something to hold over Paisley, "they've done this, now you've got to open power sharing"
    Thats a good answer - but unfortunately its got nothing to do with the observation I made.

Edit: After re-reading your statement I have to agree with you about the IRA disarming. If they had the cop on to disarm anyway then they could have seriously taken the initiative for SF. However, even if they (genuinely) did this I have a feeling that Paisley would have still never been happy and would probably claim that they were lying. Again it goes back to my point that, even more so than SF, Paisley runs the risk of sliding into obscurity if a peace is reached and so I believe he doesn't really want a peace unless he can claim credit (like with the photo's).

Boggle wrote:
    Did you read my point? Read iot agin if you want an answer to this.

I did. And you've misread mine. Its presented by SF supporters/IRA apologists on this board as canon that the IRA were about to disband were it not for Paisley's obstinance in Decemeber, I'm merely pointing out that the IRA's activities in decemember would tend to deflat that theory.
    Not being blessed with psychic powers, I can only assume that they would have done what they said they would do. (I gave reasons in the last post why I thought it would be difficult for them to do a u-turn)

And again what they claim they were about to disband runs aganist their robbery, what does a terrorist group about to disband (or claiming to disband) need with a massive influx of cash.
    Whats so surprising about a criminal gang lining their own pockets? You seem shocked at the idea...

So now you're claiming they're a criminal gang. You're flip flopping, if they're a criminal gang, why would you believe their claim, as you do above; (not being blessed with psychic powers but some deductive reasoning would help) Here's the logic;

If the IRA are terrorist organisation who are about to disband, but are waylaid at the last minute by a nefarious Unionist, why were they planning a massive heist during this negotiations. Either A) they weren't planning on disbanding.

Or B) they are a criminal gang who see no profit in disbanding.

Either way, it stops being entirely Paisley's fault.

I was furious with Paisley when he played this trick in december but the behaviour of the IRA in the aftermath and what they were planning while we were assured by SF they were on the cusp of going away, tends to suggest this isn't entirely his fault. Either way the suggestion that the collaspe of talks in december may have been Paisley's fault but in hindsight the IRA's commitment to decommisioning or disbandment seems like lip service at best.
    In this an argument against the point or an acknowledgement that I have one?

See I'm not sure you have one, or what your issue is with me. You accused me of being naive, I was merely presenting a counter argument to the SF claim that the current crisis is all Paisley's fault.
    So that photographic evidence (aka propaganda to keep paisley in office after peace is restored) was the hard line they chose?? They were getting what they wanted - why the extra conditions?

1. Paisley wasn't in office when he made the challenge. And it paid dividends with his party being the largest party in the north after the elections, therefore at least, part of the population of northern Ireland agrees with his stance.

2. Why the extra condition. I ain't wandering into the dark recesses of the man's psychic, however again in hindsight, considering the dupiliciousness of the IRA, asking for photographic proof (even if it's to gloat) doesn't seem like much to ask.

Edit: After re-reading your statement I have to agree with you about the IRA disarming. If they had the cop on to disarm anyway then they could have seriously taken the initiative for SF. However, even if they (genuinely) did this I have a feeling that Paisley would have still never been happy and would probably claim that they were lying. Again it goes back to my point that, even more so than SF, Paisley runs the risk of sliding into obscurity if a peace is reached and so I believe he doesn't really want a peace unless he can claim credit (like with the photo's).

And again the sliding into obscurity thang. Paisley is now the leader of the largest party in the north, the 4th largest party in the house of parliament, one of the largest blocks of UK MEPs outside of the major parties in the EP, and the largest unionist party in the north. Furhtermore, Paisley Durkin et all are the voice of unionism, with Trimble gone, there is no voice of moderate unionism anymore, nor does there seem to be one in the near future. Paisley is more powerful than at any time since the days of the UWC.

Republicans have been quick to tout the lack of their vote collasping last election, as proof that SF are the party of peace and the future, however the fact is they now face a hardline, popular supported Unionist block led by Paisley, with little chance of this changing, unless something radical happens, for the near future. SF's failure has been the alienation of the moderates on both sides, and now they face Paisley.

The suggestion that Paisley will fade into obscurity ignores the fact that the "Honourable Rev" has been the elephant in the corner of Northern Ireland for the past 15 odd years, and now the elephant has the floor, because both sides have disenfranchised the middle ground.

Paisley isn't going anywhere, he's the unfortunate reality, what SF's indifference has sown, he has reaped, and the suggest that he will now toddle off to obscurity when his power has rarly been greater, is well, I'm sorry a little naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Judging by the obvious prejudice displayed in your posts, I would imagine this is more of an opinion than a fact. How can you deny that if the IRA have decomissioned then regardless of what happened, a u-turn would have ruined SF? I mean, if they say they have destroyed their weapons and then go back to business as usual then nobody would ever deal with SF again. Furthermore, I believe that SF would have lost serious support as people would no longer believe that SF could bring them peace. (And like people said, that is what most people up there want after all)

A)The only prejudice in my posts regarding SFIRA and more generally Northern Ireland is directed against scumbag, anti-democratic, crinimal terrorist filth.

B)SFIRA and their activities come under this heading by virture of their *actions* perfectly. Hence its not prejudice which is directed against a group regardless of their actions, but morals which are dependant upon actions.

C)If you can point out why a "commander" in an "army" supposedly on ceasefire is ordering his men to kill people, supported by SFIRA intimidation, then you might have grounds to complain about opinion and fact. If you can point out where the IMC are lying about SFIRA still recruiting, training and equipping you mgiht have a point. If you can point out where SFIRA are not still beating kids almost to death for "anti-social behavior" - whilst charmingly campaigning against ASBOs then you might have a point.

D)SFIRA would have only promised to decomission in December. They promised to decomission within 2 years of the GFA and failed. They promised theyd decomission if Trimble entered government with them. They failed. SFIRA promises are worth exactly **** all. No really, theyre worth absolutely nothing. Less than nothing. SFIRA are all promises and **** all else.

E)Its typcial of SFIRA thinking and thus laughable that you consider decomissioning a bad idea because you want to leave the option of going back to Omaghs, Warringtons, Kingsmills and Enniskillens without leaving SFIRA open to the charge of hypocrisy in previously embracing constitutional democracy. I mean, you accuse me of having a low opinion of provos - which I do - and then you credit them with being that crooked and dishonest in their thinking? And ask why wont I trust SFIRAs mission for peace?!?!?!

D)Then with some twisted thinking you argue that if SFIRA disarmed and embraced democracy, people would not support them because they want a party that can bring them peace? Ah yeah, the problem in Northern Ireland wasnt that heavily armed scuimbags were murdering innocent people for sectrarian hatreds, it was because there wasnt enough heavily armed scumbags for peace to prevail. These are some classic gems of provo philosophy youre presenting. Peace through terrorism? Stregnth through ignorance? Happiness through oppression? Justice through violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Paisley is just doing what he has done for the last 4 decades... impeding progress. Nothing new there. Paisley and his merry band are not adverse to siding with terrorists.. as long as they are his terrorists!

yea exactly.. I found his comment of "keep out of the north" (sic) to Bertie funny. I have no problem with that, lets withdraw all the cash we send up north. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I was away in Greece for the last week so haven't got many news updates but has there been any arrests in relation to the Northern Bank Robbery because after reading MyCrofts last few posts it would seem members of the IRA have been convicted of the robbery??

If there hasn't been any breakthroughs I really find it hard to believe that the PSNI haven't found any more of the money other than that in the PSNI country club I mean if they think they know who done it surely to god they would have got some money back by now??

I believe that SF could have delivered a peace deal last december that would have seen an end to the IRA but only if Paisley had wanted a deal. I'm not saying Paisley was the only issue but he was the biggest one.

irish1 wrote:
    I believe that SF could have delivered a peace deal last december that would have seen an end to the IRA but only if Paisley had wanted a deal. I'm not saying Paisley was the only issue but he was the biggest one.
    Oh ffs. This is tiresome. SFIRA have the guns. The DUP, *****rs though they may be (like most politicians) do not. End of.

@Hobbes

What cash do we send up north? :confused:

murphaph wrote:
    @Hobbes

ROI gives NI cash for various things.

murphaph wrote:
    Oh ffs. This is tiresome. SFIRA have the guns. The DUP, *****rs though they may be (like most politicians) do not. End of.

@Hobbes

Murphaph the IRA may have the guns but Paisley has the mandate of the majority of Unionists in NI, without him agreeing there is no deal and IMO if he had agreed to allow clergy see decommisioning take place instead of insisting on photographs we would be in a very different situation right now.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    ROI gives NI cash for various things.
    Like what?

irish1 wrote:
    Murphaph the IRA may have the guns but Paisley has the mandate of the majority of Unionists in NI, without him agreeing there is no deal and IMO if he had agreed to allow clergy see decommisioning take place instead of insisting on photographs we would be in a very different situation right now.
    What's wrong with phtographs and doing what the loyalists did and allow the PSNI cut the guns up in front of the world's TV cameras? No ambiguity and no excuses for Paisley then.

murphaph wrote:
    Like what?

Like tourism funding, like funding cross border and cross community programs. Not to mention the campaigning by Ireland to fund NI through the EU, as well as paying the EU which goes towards NI.

Ians on crack if he thinks Ireland doesn't do anything to help Northern Ireland.

murphaph wrote:
    What's wrong with phtographs and doing what the loyalists did and allow the PSNI cut the guns up in front of the world's TV cameras? No ambiguity and no excuses for Paisley then.

The loyalists cut up a few guns there is no comparison with the huge ammount of weapons and explosives that the IRA have. IMO Paisley would use those photo's as a victory card so he can have another sackcloth and ashes speech, imo if Paisley really wanted peace he could have agreed to the cleric overseeing the event, Paisley wants to win a fight that only he and the IRA are still fighting, imo the people of this Island gave up that fight decades ago and now see politics as the future, it's about time the IRA done the same and it's about time Paisley brokered a peace deal rather than trying to get a victory and humilate the republicans.

Hobbes wrote:
    Like tourism funding, like funding cross border and cross community programs. Not to mention the campaigning by Ireland to fund NI through the EU, as well as paying the EU which goes towards NI.

Ians on crack if he thinks Ireland doesn't do anything to help Northern Ireland.
    We're still not a net contributor to the EU so it's impossible that we fund NI through EU contributions In any case, the UK is one of the big 4 contributors to the EU! Do we fund their tourist agency or do we just cooperate with them (which makes sense)?

I'd have a big problem with my taxes funding NI when it's part of one of the G8 economies!!

irish1 wrote:
    Well I was away in Greece for the last week so haven't got many news updates but has there been any arrests in relation to the Northern Bank Robbery because after reading MyCrofts last few posts it would seem members of the IRA have been convicted of the robbery??

If there hasn't been any breakthroughs I really find it hard to believe that the PSNI haven't found any more of the money other than that in the PSNI country club I mean if they think they know who done it surely to god they would have got some money back by now??

1. Mycroft, not MyCroft.

2. Security services have announced they know, they're now working on proving it, as mentioned previously the case is not just to catch the robbers but to dismantle the IRA's extensive money laundering operation which will take time. It took three months to make an arrest in the McCartney murder and that was open and shut, this will take a while longer.

Tell me if conclusive proof is offered of the IRA's carrying out the robbery will you change your stance RE SF/IRA?

And again once again you hold your belief despite the contradicting logic and arguments. You have a belief, it's not substantiated with anything like facts, but you cling to it none the less.

murphaph wrote:
    We're still not a net contributor to the EU so it's impossible that we fund NI through EU contributions

Pretty sure I said help campaign to get the recent funding (was on the news)
    Do we fund their tourist agency or do we just cooperate with them (which makes sense)?

AFAIR some of the budget goes to NI tourism.

mycroft wrote:
    1. Mycroft, not MyCroft.

Damn shift key :D, actually hold on it's neither it's "mycroft" no caps :p
    mycroft wrote:
    2. Security services have announced they know, they're now working on proving it, as mentioned previously the case is not just to catch the robbers but to dismantle the IRA's extensive money laundering operation which will take time. It took three months to make an arrest in the McCartney murder and that was open and shut, this will take a while longer.

Tell me if conclusive proof is offered of the IRA's carrying out the robbery will you change your stance RE SF/IRA?

If it was proven that the IRA carried out this robbery and Adams and other SF members knew of it, it certainly would.

mycroft wrote:
    And again once again you hold your belief despite the contradicting logic and arguments. You have a belief, it's not substantiated with anything like facts, but you cling to it none the less.

You mean like your post above where you don't have any facts other than the word of Hugh Orde, Gerry Adams outlined what happened during the peace talks in december and I believe my beliefs are in line with what he said. Now Mr Adams was actually at the talks and involved at the highest level so unless you were there and can prove what he says to be lies I'll continue to hold my beliefs just like you will continue to believe the IRA robbed the northern bank robbery without having any facts. :)

irish1 wrote:
    Damn shift key :D, actually hold on it's neither it's "mycroft" no caps :p

And you're not posting on the humour forum, why?
    If it was proven that the IRA carried out this robbery and Adams and other SF members knew of it, it certainly would.

You mean like your post above where you don't have any facts other than the word of Hugh Orde, Gerry Adams outlined what happened during the peace talks in december and I believe my beliefs are in line with what he said. Now Mr Adams was actually at the talks and involved at the highest level so unless you were there and can prove what he says to be lies I'll continue to hold my beliefs just like you will continue to believe the IRA robbed the northern bank robbery without having any facts. :)

And it's fascinating you'll happily take the unsupported word of a proven liar than an accountable police officer.

I do find it fascinating that you'll scoff at the statements of justice ministers senior police officers as unsubstantiated allegations but will on the flip side accept the words of proven liars as cannon fact despite the evidence to the contray and then laugh at people who point out the hyprocracy of your pov.

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:
    And you're not posting on the humour forum, why?

Oh come on mycroft, relax I was just trying to inject a little humour.
    mycroft wrote:
    And it's fascinating you'll happily take the unsupported word of a proven liar than an accountable police officer.

I do find it fascinating that you'll scoff at the statements of justice ministers senior police officers as unsubstantiated allegations but will on the flip side accept the words of proven liars as cannon fact despite the evidence to the contray and then laugh at people who point out the hyprocracy of your pov.

Well Martin McGuinness said the same things, is he a proven liar too??

I'll scoff at statements the Minister of Justice of senior police officers make if they are unproven and I don't respect their opinion, why? Well because thats my right as an Irish citizen to hold my own beliefs and values. You have chosen to believe Hugh Orde that the IRA done the robbery, I prefer to wait for conivctions or at least proof, I mean if Orde had proof surely someone would have been arrested by now?

As for McDowell, well he said the Adams and co were on the IRA army council an illegal organisation but yet doesn't have an issue with them not been arrested, Bertie doesn't know who's on it!!

All we have here is opinions, I respect yours I just don't share it, so to get back on topic I honestly believe that if Paisley had signed a deal last december the IRA would now be without any weapons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement