Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

need advice...

Options
  • 08-06-2005 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

my mate got pulled last nite and he hasnt had tax for 6 months

garda said their bringing him to court and that he has to produce tax, license and insurance within 10 days.

if he pays the tax within the 10 days and brings it down will they still bring him to court?

if so, what kinda fine would he be looking at?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Tell your mate to Tax the Car asap. The sooner the better. The best way to apporach this one is step by step. He should have had his car taxed :rolleyes:

If he is brought to court expect a fine and loss of points. Don't think jail will be the punishment here. No Insurance is the big one at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Not sure here myself, but if he gets his tax and brings it to the station within the next 10 days I think he'll be ok.

He will have to pay arrears for the 6 months without Tax though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

This time last year I got stopped with my tax 5 months out of date. The guard (quiet rightly so I must admit) seized my car on the spot - I had to leave it there with him and make my way on foot .... pain in the a*se I can tell you.

The car was taken to a garda pound on Parkgate Street. Standard charge to get it back out was €130 if I remember rightly, and something like €60 for each extra day I left it there without collecting it. Was the bank holiday weekend too .... and the pound isn't open Saturday, Sunday or bank holidays. And of course I had gotten nabbed on the Friday. The guard who did the seizing said I would have to pay for the bank holiday - even though the pound didn't open and I couldn't have gone to get it. However when I did go to get it on the Tuesday I wasn't charged for the bank holiday.

Before I could collect it I had to bring the tax up to date and present the new disk at the pound. That weekend cost me nearly €800 on the car. It's not something I'll be doing again.

Back to your friend - yes they do have the option of pressing charges in court. However I think it's a bit heavy handed ..... I thought my treatment was heavy handed at the time - I had to walk miles to get home and part with a bit wad of cash. But straight to court is something I hadn't heard of .... would have thought the court rooms were packed enough as it was.

Was the car impounded at all ? I'd say the judge will probably just order the tax be brought up to date and maybe a fine. However if your mate has to pay the pound charge then I'd imagine the fine would be waived.

This offence does not attract penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

my mate got pulled last nite and he hasnt had tax for 6 months

garda said their bringing him to court and that he has to produce tax, license and insurance within 10 days.

if he pays the tax within the 10 days and brings it down will they still bring him to court?

if so, what kinda fine would he be looking at?

thanks

There really is no defence for driving around without motor tax for 6 months. I like most people hate paying it also but it the law and there is not much I can do about at present. If the car was off the road for the last 6 months on the other hand then he may have a case.

Expect your friend to get hit with a heavy fine and as the other person here experienced he was lucky the car was not impounded there on the spot. Paying the tax up to date can only help his case to the judge who may be more leanient with the fine.

The only good thing out of this experience is that your friend take the slap on the wrist and hopefully have learnt a valuable lesson for next time. It will probably end up have been cheaper to have just taxed the car in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

A mate of mine didn't have any tax on the car they didn't sieze it but brought him to court. He got a €150 fine and that was that still no tax....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

garda had to go 2 another call so they said they couldnt take it but they were going to...

Advertisement