Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA: San Andreas 56kers beware.

Options
  • 08-06-2005 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

First impressions are very good. Map is huge and easily 3 times the size of vice city.

Graphics are improved on the PS2 as the resolution can be bumped up and, decent FPS at last. The PS2 really couldn't cope with the game IMO.

Getting 45fps (frame limiter off):
    1280 x 1024 x32
    Detail: High

3GHz, 1GB RAM, 6600GT.

Will update more shortly.

***edit: added more pics. resized to 1024 x 768***

gtasa.JPG

gtasa2%20(Large).JPG

gtasa3%20(Large).JPG

gtasa4%20(Large).JPG

gtasa5%20(Large).JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

where did you get it?
    i was looking everywhere today, said it wont be out til friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Get it in the shops or from the B est T hingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It's already out in the US.

Urgh, actually... I notice from the screenshot that SA suffers from the same dodgy sprite transparency as VC did... look at the trees :/
    quarryman wrote:
    The PS2 really couldn't cope with the game IMO.
    Yeah, which is probably why Sony made us wait so long for it, you couldn't have PS2 owners seeing how it looks on the PC and losing faith eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

the pc version comes with this deadly book. we got em in in work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I tried to persuade the guy in gamestop to give me the game today... He wouldn't. Those bastards with them all out on the shelf but nooo... you can't have it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stephen wrote:
    I tried to persuade the guy in gamestop to give me the game today... He wouldn't. Those bastards with them all out on the shelf but nooo... you can't have it yet.

A shotgun and a balaclava should sort them out. Just remember to pay the asking price.

'It's my game father, i just didn't want to wait til Friday'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

erm or u cud retrieve it in other methods

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

It's already out in the US.

Urgh, actually... I notice from the screenshot that SA suffers from the same dodgy sprite transparency as VC did... look at the trees :/

from playing it a bit now the graphics are much sharper than Vice City. I guess it has a bit to do with the setting, less pastel colours etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

quarryman wrote:
    from playing it a bit now the graphics are much sharper than Vice City. I guess it has a bit to do with the setting, less pastel colours etc.
    the trees still look **** though...

tis the gameplay and rock solid framerate that i'm interested in though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm tempted to buy this. I cleared the PS2 one in just over a week(I just had to give up luxuries like sleep and personal hygiene) and loved it but its so true that the PS2 just couldn't handle the game. Slowdown and pop-up were absolutely awful at times.

At least it ran on my PS2 though. If it struggles by on a 300Mhz console with 32Mb of RAM and 4Mb graphics then it should run amazingly well on my 1.6GHz PC with 512Mb of ram and 128Mb graphics... thats how it works right? Unfortunately I'm not too confident about it running smoothly for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Lord Oz wrote:
    Get it in the shops or from the B est T hingy?

4gigs :D

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hey teh Best Thing sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

My purchase is on 86%

Whores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Mother of god - subtlety is lost here.

judging by th epicture above - could do with some anti-aliasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Don't worry, I intend on buying it :P I'm just sticking it to the man because of silly release dates and how long it took. Plus this way I can take my time about buying it and not have to worry about pre-ordering.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Mother of god - subtlety is lost here.

judging by th epicture above - could do with some anti-aliasing.

yup AA is off, everything else is set high. draw distance plays a big part in the FPS too so i might try balance them two out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

More screenies please!! This monkey has been tamed and has to wait till tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I never fully enjoyed playing this on my PS2 because my PS2 always seemed like it was about to implode. And I had already had 3 PS2's break on me before that.

I've always loved the mods for GTA III and Vice City on the PC so I'll pick this up for PC if my PC can handle it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kazaanova wrote:
    I never fully enjoyed playing this on my PS2 because my PS2 always seemed like it was about to implode. And I had already had 3 PS2's break on me before that.

I've always loved the mods for GTA III and Vice City on the PC so I'll pick this up for PC if my PC can handle it.

After finishing it on my PS2 it started making really loud noises when playing CD games again :rolleyes:

I'll have to get the lens cleaned before it croaks completely.

• Advertisement

more pics added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I get to play it in 3 hours time :)

3 super long hours :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

My Amazon order is being "despatched" :D

Praetorian wrote:
    I get to play it in 3 hours time :)

3 super long hours :(

It's great when you find out the space monkeys gang were the ones that killed your best friend at the end of the game. There, I've waited so long to spoil it on you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

Is this going to be an online multiplayer?

No its not, no multiplayer at all. Thers that MTA mod though, and I think another one. I know someones been working on a multiplayer mod since before San Andreas came out.

Been playing this on PC, theres nothing really more to say, amazing game, runs great on medium on my ****ty PC and looks very good. The only thing is the controls, I just cant drive a car with a keyboard and mouse, its the hardest thing ever, I've yet to succesffully navigate a single corner. I'm gonna look up the PS2 controll scheme and copy it onto my joypad, dont know if it will work, I think the PS2 used some of the buttons for more than one function and you cant do that on the PC.

Don't use your mouse when in-car, just use the keyboard by itself. You can map buttons to do different things, depending on whether you're in a car or on foot.

Sorry I should of said I just use my keyboard in the car, still have a hard time with it. I know you can map buttons, but there just doesnt seem to be enough in the car section alone, or the foot section alone. I havent given it serious time though.

Noticed a few graphical glitches too, they were probably there in the PS2 version though, just didnt notice them. Worst so far has been the parachute replay, it just shows CJ running in the air holding a parachute as he falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep... those screenshots have me salivating all over the keyboard! :D

Looks fan-feckin-tastic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kazaanova wrote:
    No its not, no multiplayer at all. Thers that MTA mod though, and I think another one. I know someones been working on a multiplayer mod since before San Andreas came out.
    [font=tahoma,helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=-1]Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas[/size][/font]

Kazaanova wrote:
    PS2 control
    TBH, get this. I use it for playing Tony Hawks on the PC with a normal PS1 joypad, cos thats what I'm used to.
    114167l.jpg
    You can plug in 2 contollers into it, which is damn sweet.

Advertisement