Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Eh, 2x-3y = 9 (to be mulitplied by 2) = 4x-6y = 18 not 4x+6y = 18.

You got it right cos' you kinda just added -15x and 4x and wrote 19x instead of -11x (the correct answer) and you added -39 and 18 and put down 57 whereas the actually answer for that would be -21.

Hugh Hefner resident party pooper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

The way I do them is (using 666's example):-
    Well you could always use the matrix methods too its much clearer, but i doubt on the JC course..

Darth Bobo wrote:
    the matrix methods
    I've not even heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

the way hugh hefner did it is the way i woul, but there is so much confusion with all the methods...

• Advertisement

Are you talking about the higher level similtaneous equations question today? Cos' it messed up of me. I got the answers and then I tested if they would work in the other equation but they didn't. b was 5, I think, and c was -14 in one equation and 6/-6 in the other (I think :confused:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

i can't remember what the answers were, but my sim. equa. all worked out for me in the exam. There was so many bloody surds 3rd roots that when i got to sim. equa. it was such a nice breather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I did pass Maths , not that im not able for Hounours but because im too lazy to study enough for it . I beleive I got every question 100% right :) , so im on my way to an A .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Are you talking about the higher level similtaneous equations question today? Cos' it messed up of me. I got the answers and then I tested if they would work in the other equation but they didn't. b was 5, I think, and c was -14 in one equation and 6/-6 in the other (I think :confused:).
    y was 14
    x was 31
    i think i might had got signs wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I got B as 6 and C as -5 if I can recall correctly.
    There were a couple of simultaneous equations, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

b was 1 and c was -6. Worked out perfectly for me, but now you're making me doubt myself....

Okay just did it again a second ago and I got that.
    I can't remember if I got the same in the exam though.... dayamn. Whatever it was I couldn't do the second part of that question anyway. Damn functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

There were simultaneous equations in that exam?!!1 ;)

That paper was alot harder than previous papers methinks, but I did alright, definitely a B...possibly an A, didn't manage to finish 2 C's so I hope the attempt marks will keep me up high..

One thing that my whole year didn't know was wtf a reciprocal was, apparently it's in the log tables but I didn't know and as such didn't bother to look (didn't open them the whole exam..), odd that they changed alot of the layout this year though. Alot more surds questions and several of those extremely annoying and hard "express my coffee in terms of x" questions.

Off to install my new Dvd-rw, screw irish paper 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Furze

Anyone figure out Q. 3 (c) - the drinking choc question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

^ That turned out to be a quadratic equation, didn't it? I tried and I tried and I tried, but I kept getting x2 + 30x + 108 = 0
    (um, that's supposed to be a squared)
    I could not for the life of me find factors for 108, so I just left it. The attempt marks shall keep me buoyed, and after talking to a few others, they seemed to get into that rut too - though someone said it worked out and they had 150, so I'm not sure what the right answer is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Furze wrote:
    Anyone figure out Q. 3 (c) - the drinking choc question ?

I got 90g @ 4c per gram in normal time.
    120g @ 3c per gram in promotion time.

Holy christ you almost gave me a heartattack there modular. I only found out how many grammes there were (got the same figures though). Checked the papers. Didn't have to find out how much it was per gram. Phew.

And I couldn't have been bothered to find the factors for it, so I just used the quadratic formula. Heh, whenever I got stuck in that exam I just started using that formula. Even in the functions questions...

There is a section on recipricols in the log tables (I was finished, started reading log tables to try learn some Irish) but it's for logarithms and doesn't actually say anything helpful about what recipricols actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

I managed to use the log tables to help me in the reciprocal question. I thought it might have been the fraction upside-down, so when I looked up the reciprocal of 35, and it looked like 2/7 in decimals, I pretty much knew I was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Furze

modular wrote:
    I got 90g @ 4c per gram in normal time.
    120g @ 3c per gram in promotion time.

Fenny,
    Did the exact same, maybe my scribbles will count for something !

Modular,
    If u get a spare couple of hours; can you post the solution ? :confused:

Oh God! I got like 11100 grams! The more I think about that test the worse I think I did. Boohoohoo! I'm seriously worried about my A now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Same. I think I said there was 60 grams in it :( ...I'll just have to do great on paper 2. Easy paper, wont be hard at all...unless they do another paper 1 job. Does anyone agree it was one of the hardest papers if you take into account the 2004-3 and sample papers???...I think it was a hard year. Easy on English but give us a hard maths :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I got 11 grammes the first time.
    Then i thought €3.60 for 11 grammes? I wouldn't buy that! Even if it was on sale!

Then i did it again and got it right like yer man said above. :D

Wow, I didn't screw up as bad on Q6 as I thought. ... sort of.

Awwwwww! I made loads of bloody mistakes! I feel really crappy now. Any other exam and I wouldn't really care but Maths just pains me to do badly in. I really have to get a full score in Paper 2 now. C'mon the A!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Damn ... I got a few things I was sure I had right wrong. I didn't screw up Q. 4 as I had thought. The problem is Paper 1 is my best one - I'm ****ed on Paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

You got a page for the ordinary ones ?

Na I didnt see them on the site...they have LC ordinary so i suppose after getting through the long JC ORD paper they will put it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Alternative solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Wish I hadn't looked at those solutions now! :p A lot of the questions that I was so happy to have got out seem to be wrong. Those simultaneous equations especially.

Advertisement