Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

Someone asked for a solution to the maths thingy, the coffee/chocolate question. Mmm....
    (I changed the €3.60 to 360cent).

Part (i): 360 over x.

Part (ii): was 360 over (x + 30).

Right then part (iii) was:
    (360 over x)-[360 over (x +30)]=1
    Then for part (iv) you get a common denominator for the above equation, (x(x+30)) and you multiply it all out and you get a quadratic equation of;
    x(squared) + 30x - 10800 = 0

Then, use the formula (factorising takes too long to figure out the factors of 10,800) you know the one x= -b plus/minus the square root of b squared etc.)
    Therefore x = 90 or x= -120

But you can't have MINUS 120 grams (can u?!?), so 90 is the answer.
    So as there were (x + 30) grams in the box during the promotion (see part (ii)), and we know x=90, then the amount of grams during the promotion is equal to 90 + 30 = 120grams. *bows* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I think it's best to stop thinking about how you got on, look forward rather than back etc etc.

So, how are ye set for paper 2. I think the paper is fairly easy generally, bar a few tricks in the area & volume section, but I wonder if they'll pull a "maths paper 1" on it again? If so then I wonder what we should be doing to prepare for the change...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Alqua wrote:
    Wish I hadn't looked at those solutions now! :p A lot of the questions that I was so happy to have got out seem to be wrong. Those simultaneous equations especially.
    Don't worry excessively about this, you get marks for each successful step in the answer (but you need to have written it down to get these marks). Just because your bottom line isn't the correct answer doesn't mean you loose all the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Fobia wrote:
    I think it's best to stop thinking about how you got on, look forward rather than back etc etc.

Agreed. I always get worried when I go over how I did in exams.
    So, how are ye set for paper 2. I think the paper is fairly easy generally, bar a few tricks in the area & volume section, but I wonder if they'll pull a "maths paper 1" on it again? If so then I wonder what we should be doing to prepare for the change...

That's funny, I've always found Paper 1 to be the easy one. So I'm doubly dreading Paper 2, especially if they do some funky things with the layout. I think the best thing we can do is go over some area and volume, make sure the theorems are learned and trigonometry and basically hope for a miracle. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm feeling pretty good for paper 2.
    I used to hate it. Then we learned geometry and it's totally fine now. I love Area and Volume.
    Probably the only stuff I don't like is Statistics (for some reason, it's really easy) and then the theorems. I'll probably go through a couple paper 2s tomorrow and make sure I know my theorems. And then I'll be set.

Actually, since we're talking about maths, has anyone heard about that Maths Olympiad thing that you get invited to if you get over 98%?

• Advertisement

Ooh yeah my friend did that Maths Olympiad, she got an A in Maths. Didn't realise you had to get 98% though :eek:

98% seems a bit crazy.

I'd say I definitely didn't get my 98% 'cause of Paper 1, now... :( Unless I get 100% on Paper 2. Heh. Heh.

Heh.

What is the Maths Olympiad, anyway?

Actually, since we're talking about maths, has anyone heard about that Maths Olympiad thing that you get invited to if you get over 98%?

Mathletes? :)

Yup!

*goes off to watch Star Trek reruns and point out the plot inconsistencies*

disclaimer: I hate Star Trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I heard about it...my Mom wants me to get it. According to the parents, Math is the only thing it is possible to get a hundred% in, so I'd better......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

What about science??

I think my cousin did something like that, but he's unbelievably smart...I think even if I got in I wouldn't do it, unless there was big money at stake - I'd prefer a pro gaming contract :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

What about science??

Unless it's physics......

I've heard of a physics olympiad before but I think it's for senior cycle students.

It's weird to think that this September we're not going to be junior cycle any more. I'm not sure what TY is but it sure ain't junior cycle.

I think its great...a new sense of freedom in the school. We will be viewed more as adults and be 'in' on the things that happen in the school more than and junior student would...
    For eg in my school...if some seniors had a free class they would get a football from the pe store room and go play a game of footie on the football pitch...its great :D

In my school the seniors get V-neck jumpers. So they look less like eejits. I don't know about respect, though. It probably gets better. 3rd year was... well, let's just say all of the teachers now hate my class.

OMG dont even talk to me about uniforms..I am notorious in my school for not wearing it...I get sent home daily to fetch it :p
    I havent worn a full uniform ALL year( for the top I have been wearing a blue Tommy Hilfiger jumper(sweater w/e))
    Im gonna break a new record next year by jsut not wearing it at all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

We get navy jumpers, lowER cut jumpers and dont wear ties as seniors. Well the guys have to wear ties, but the girls dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Don't worry excessively about this, you get marks for each successful step in the answer (but you need to have written it down to get these marks).
    Ah yes, the attempt marks, they're my saviours in maths!

On paper 2 I can usually do the area & volume, geometry of the line and statistics. If I do ok at those I'll be fairly happy. The rest of the questions I'll give my best attempt I suppose.

We have to wear our uniform for the exams, but a lot of people don't wear the exact uniform for it. Our uniform is a navy pinafore, navy cardigan/jumper, white blouse, navy socks/tights...basically all navy. But there is a yellow and red stripe on the sleeve and on the tie!
    I am cursed with high heeled shoes that make a fair bit of noise on the hard floor when I walk. I have no problem with it, but all my classmates do! They usually think it's a teacher that's coming down the corridor when it's just me. Part of the reason I wait until the exam is over, even if I'm finished, is the clatter of my shoes when I get up to leave. Tip-toeing is very difficult in the hall. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I believe yes, but check with your teacher.

Page 7 I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

They give you the perimeter and area of a circle, the perimeter of an arc(?), the area of a sector of a disc, the area of a parallelogram, area of a triangle, area of curved surface and volume fot a sphere, cylinder and cone, and the frustum of a cone. There are also 2 more areas, to do with parts of a parallelogram, but i dont know how to explain them. Ive never used them anyway though.

Only things you really need to learn off are the line formulae.

They give you the most important formulae but I dont think they give the area of a hemisphere or total surface area of a cone and cylinder, so try and learn those.

I cant find these in my tables, i was just about to go and learn them off. Does anyone have the tables, cause maybe its just me, and they are in there...

*MmmPie* wrote:
    They give you the most important formulae but I dont think they give the area of a hemisphere or total surface area of a cone and cylinder, so try and learn those.

For the area of a hemisphere, its just half of that of a sphere, and they give you that so thats one less thing to learn!

I'd hardly advise you to learn the line formulae if they were in the log tables, now would I?

• Advertisement

Advertisement