Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Paper 2 was a bit of a feck up. The theorem that I had found difficult before, and tried to learn, I couldn't remember how to prove it, came up. The construction I didn't learn, came up. I think these people conspire to pick questions just to spite. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

I couldnt do that construction either i really didnt think it would come up. I knew it was something to do with a set square but i couldnt remember what it was. I thought maybe it was that triangle thingy but i couldnt figure out anything useful to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

I tried to do it, and I did use a set square, but I really didn't have a clue what I was doing. I remembered the teacher saying it was something to do with sliding the set square along the line to keep the sections the same. Whatever I did, I ended up with a funny looking triangle thingy divided into very un-equal looking sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Did you use a protractor? Because if you keep it the same length, you can mark off the points to divide it equally. The construction and the 2 theorems were about the only things that went well in my exam. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Afair, you draw one line, then another on an acute angle to it. Divide the second line into three parts, join the third part to the end of the line, then use a set square and a ruler to join the other points to the line (making parallel lines). I think that's how you do it, that's what I did...wasn't sure how to show construction marks though as there arent any really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You're apparently meant to divide the line of the acute angle using your protractor. You set it to a length (about a third of the length of the line or less), then put the spike at the angle, draw a little arc, and put the spike on the arc, etcetera, continue. Then you take the arcs as the points along the line. This way you divide it in equal parts without using a ruler. It seems a shade pointless, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Yep, that's what I did. When I joined the lines to the points, my construction lines weren't very noticeable; I wonder does that count against you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Fenny wrote:
    Yep, that's what I did. When I joined the lines to the points, my construction lines weren't very noticeable; I wonder does that count against you?

Yup, I didn't do it properly either :/ . I mean, it's done correctly, but as I didn't use a compass (I just measured the second line), I doubt I'll pickup too many marks.

Advertisement