Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Proofs (H) tomorrow?

Options
  • 08-06-2005 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been given any tips on whether any of the paper 1 proofs are likel y tomorrow? I havent seen the DeMoivres proof on any past papers. Please God it doesnt come up. Factor therom would be good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

The Factor Theroem might come up. There aren't really many proofs on the paper, and our teacher has only given us 2 to revise.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

Actually, DeMoivre's proof can be a lot easier than some of the induction questions they ask so it could be luck to get that one, although i don't have any ideas on what proof will come up.

TimAy wrote:
    Has anyone been given any tips on whether any of the paper 1 proofs are likel y tomorrow? I havent seen the DeMoivres proof on any past papers. Please God it doesnt come up. Factor therom would be good.

Would De Moivre's proof come up on induction or complex numbers?

I don't do induction so it would be a bit cruel to put it with complex numbers. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

Would De Moivre's proof come up on induction or complex numbers?

I don't do induction so it would be a bit cruel to put it with complex numbers. :(

It can come up with complex numbers for definite, check it out in the book, at least get attempt marks if it comes up

I am having wicked trouble with differentiation proofs, I just dont understand them at all from my book text and tests 2 does anyone have any other way of doing them, or can you help me out?

I believe the quotient rule is a possibility as it is the only proof to never come up, yet it is so hard they might not be that cruel

Come on dickinson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

give me a sec and ill give you a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lauraoaktree

ye plz help about the diff proofs, i havent a clue. after u put in some line, then factorise, were do some of them go?? ah im soooo confused

Here's the ones i use. You'll have to rotate them, sorry about the crappy quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Alan G

So what questions are ye all doin???
    I'm doing -
    1) Algebra
    2) Algebra
    3) Complex Numbers
    4) Sequences & Series
    5) Induction
    6) Differentiation

& 7) Differentiation II In Case on of the others is hard!!!!

Leaving out induction altogether - I'm ****e at that so....

Everything bar 4 & 5.

• Advertisement

I'd say they probably won't give us a Differentiation Proof @ all!!!
    i remember hearing last year that the Maths exam was supposed to be tough (2fm) so maybe they might give us a break this year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lauraoaktree

im doin 2 algebra, complex no's, 2 diff, integration, and im f****d if they dont work cos ive nothing to fall back on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Probably everything :D

TimAy wrote:
    Here's the ones i use. You'll have to rotate them, sorry about the crappy quality.

Thanks a million that means a lot!
    I'd say they probably won't give us a Differentiation Proof @ all!!!

I hope they dont, they sure dont need to, their is an awful lot they can ask,
    hope dont get an annoying rate of change either,
    i can never figure out hat i am given eg. dx/dt(never know that it is dx/dt) and what they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

do you mean leavin out integration

im doin the exact same!!

i've got 7 out of 8 done fairly confidently. Leaving out the Induction. Really can't do it. Binomial confuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

I actually find the intergration question one of the easyest, dont like the second differentiation though.
    I dunno what questions i'm gonna do cause i studied em all.
    Best wait till i see the paper me thinks.

Induction is easy - same thing all over and over again and seems that it's the least answered question it's gonna b some bit easier!!

Induction is easy - same thing all over and over again and seems that it's the least answered question it's gonna b some bit easier!!

What type of induction do you you think might come up, cause i might give a shot cause usally Q5 is fairly handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

oh **** proofs!i am so wrecked after english today i dunno if i will bother, maybe in the morning.

• Advertisement

Beno wrote:
    What type of induction do you you think might come up, cause i might give a shot cause usally Q5 is fairly handy

just sub in for 1 or the lowest number which applys as in if told n is greater or equal to 4 then sub in 4

Then sub in k and just assume thats right

Then sub in k+1 and using the assumption from step 2 try and prove k+1

then say proved for n=1
    assumed for n=k
    with assumption proved for n=k + 1
    therefore proved for n=2,3,4,5, ect.

just try it and you will get attempt marks at least if it doesnt work out!

Back to the topic in hand

I would put my money on DeMoivres Theroem cause it came up in the Mocks
    and is hottlety tipped by maths teachers.
    Then prob the factor theroem.
    The diff one's.... i douth it (i hope those ****ers wont come up)

(Don't learn the factor theroem out of the less stress book it is bloody confusing)

Advertisement