Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Transferring hard drive

• 08-06-2005 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've a couple of quick questions.

I recently acquired a pc (WIN XP) and want to transfer my hard drive from my old machine (WIN 2K), it's an 80GB one with 2 FAT32 partitions and 1 NTFS partition. When I did the transfer I can see the 3 partitions but I cannot access the NTFS one (it says it's in RAW format when I click properties while logged on as administrator). Is there a way I can access this partition without replacing the drive in the old pc and copying all the files to a FAT32 partition?

On a tangent: Does Windows XP have to be reactivated after installing a certain number of new pieces of hardware? I seem to remember some fuss being made about this when XP first came out.

Reason for asking, is I got the machine with a Dell Windows XP reinstallation cd, which I used to clean up the pc, but there's no activiation key and I haven't been asked for it either. The guy I got the pc from says he "has it somewhere" but I'm not too confident of him finding it if I need it.

Thanks in advance,

John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

If the PC has Win XP formatted in Fat32 then it will not see it....U have to convert the drive with WinXP on it to NTFS....then it will see all drives.

Here is how http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

Reactivation: - Depends....and MS don't exactly tell you how much hardware...But the wizard will pop up if it thinks it is on a different PC, by this I mean different hardware....chance u take.

Dell and other manufacturers, have the PC's activated in advance. So no online activation required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While I'm not doubting odie's answer, IIRC, you should just be able to right-click on the volume, select Import foreign volume, and then it will recognise it.

By default Windows XP will not recognise NTFS drives that are hooked up to the machine until they're imported.

IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Thanks for the responses guys.
    odie wrote:
    If the PC has Win XP formatted in Fat32 then it will not see it....U have to convert the drive with WinXP on it to NTFS....then it will see all drives.

The XP main drive is already NTFS. It is seeing all the partitions on the drive, just not letting me have access to the NTFS partition and saying that the format of it is RAW when I click properties.

seamus wrote:
    While I'm not doubting odie's answer, IIRC, you should just be able to right-click on the volume, select Import foreign volume, and then it will recognise it.

Tried that but to no avail. Right clicking on the partition doesn't give me the option of importing it.

John2002 wrote:
    Tried that but to no avail. Right clicking on the partition doesn't give me the option of importing it.
    Sorry, you'll need to right-click on the disk itself in the lower right-hand pane, and select "Import Foreign Disks".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

John2002 wrote:
    On a tangent: Does Windows XP have to be reactivated after installing a certain number of new pieces of hardware? I seem to remember some fuss being made about this when XP first came out.
    yes it does IIRC 3 changes at a time OR 7 changes if a notebook or portable system. I don't know where you tell it that it is a portable system but having a PCMCIA controller card would do it.

You can use Keyfinder ( magic jelly bean ) to show you the Serial number on your machine.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    Sorry, you'll need to right-click on the disk itself in the lower right-hand pane, and select "Import Foreign Disks".

Sorry Seamus, you've lost me. What do I need to have open to right-click on the disk? I cannot see the option when viewing in Explorer.

Right-Click on the bit marked in red in the attached image (for the disk you want to import)

seamus wrote:
    Right-Click on the bit marked in red in the attached image (for the disk you want to import)

Ah, it's becoming clear! Thanks Seamus and please excuse my dumbassness :D

Advertisement