Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly cat snoring?

Options
  • 08-06-2005 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Our 12-year-old cat snores when she is asleep. I am just wondering if this is normal? If it helps, she is slightly overweight and was neutered when she was 2.

Thanks

Nala

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Several of my cats snore, one quite loudly ! In itself i wouldn't worry about snoring, however if she is overweight i would work with your vet to rectify this as excess weight can cause serious health issues in cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

How do you work out she is overweight, cats put the pounds on as they grow older so to speak its quite natural and the older they get the fatter they become. But snooring cats is nothing to worry about, most animals snore, my dogs do, but overall its nothing to worry about, just a sign she is getting older and needs that extra bit of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of our now ex-cats snored so loudly it would keep me awake at night, and she was certainly not overweight, the opposite if anything. Don't worry about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Thanks for your help guys.

She sounds like a little person when she snores, it's quite cute in it's own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My 17 year old cat is a bit of a snorer, she does tend to suffer from respiratory infections so is on antibiotics every now and then when she has an infection her snores grow much louder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

A lot of pet owners are amazed / worried when they hear their pet snore lol
    *Usually* its harmless, but as always, check with your vet in case there is somthing in his/her history that might impact on it.

I, believe it or not, once was the proud foster-parent of a "snoring" iguana (but that was a medical problem, but its cuteness made up for his extreme aggression lol) and Iv also had the wonder that was a snoring cockatiel, *that* was hilarious, specially when we discovered he was only *pretending* to be asleep and snoring for attention!!!! lolol Damned clever bird!

Advertisement